Intentionally Appear as a Fish?

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play anonymous poker on unibet, and I'm considering whether it might be a good strategy to intentionally make myself appear as a fish when I join a table in the hope that that will allow me to get more value out of my opponents if they think I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm thinking that I could post a blind when I join a cash table and maybe make a couple of silly min bets so my opponents mark me as a fish. I'll then play very tightly and should get called lighter and get more value from good hands. Do any of you do this, or have you tried it in the past?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play anonymous poker on unibet, and I'm considering whether it might be a good strategy to intentionally make myself appear as a fish when I join a table in the hope that that will allow me to get more value out of my opponents if they think I don't know what I'm doing.
I'm thinking that I could post a blind when I join a cash table and maybe make a couple of silly min bets so my opponents mark me as a fish. I'll then play very tightly and should get called lighter and get more value from good hands. Do any of you do this, or have you tried it in the past?

hi hi finn!! :ciao:
i no need to disguise i fish
i am lol

blond.jpg

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there can be value in this on the log term but not on unibet I guess.

As you can switch from avator and name there will be not many players that are taking notes...
It could work at other sites where you have a fixed name and avator.

I personnally mark or take notes of players at PS (were you can find regulars certainly when you play at a fixed SNG game --> regulars are easy to find there and then taking notes is quite usefull (knowing there range they play when they have a small or big stack)
I also play at unibet but taking notes there is really useless (I also often play at 4 different tables with 4 different avators, so they can not see I am the same player)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to start out a little slow,,appear a little weak/fishy.Then get stronger as i go,,, :deal:

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Strategy only works if other players remain at the table long enough for you to cash in on your fish image. Unfortunately, players turn over frequently at cash games online.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been in tournaments. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but it's a good strategy.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is basically the go-to act of the stereotypical "poker hustler." However, those situations are usually cash games or games where the same players frequent. As mentioned, I don't think this would be as effective in this online setting. Also remember that any "acting" or table image you have only matters if the table is paying attention and adapting to what they observe. Many players simply don't "react" enough to make acts like this profitable I think. It might be a good strategy in longer games/more routine players etc. if that makes sense.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is basically the go-to act of the stereotypical "poker hustler." However, those situations are usually cash games or games where the same players frequent. As mentioned, I don't think this would be as effective in this online setting. Also remember that any "acting" or table image you have only matters if the table is paying attention and adapting to what they observe. Many players simply don't "react" enough to make acts like this profitable I think. It might be a good strategy in longer games/more routine players etc. if that makes sense.

So at unibet where you can change avaters and name ... it will be certainly useless.

lot of regulars there use up to 4 avaters /names a day ...

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So at unibet where you can change avaters and name ... it will be certainly useless.

lot of regulars there use up to 4 avaters /names a day ...

I'm not talking about building up a long term image of being a fish. I mean you join a table, make some (cheap) silly plays, so the other players at the table treat you as a fish until you or they leave the table.

I think if this would work anywhere, it's unibet, specifically because you can change avatars. The changing avatars means nobody has any HUD stats or notes on their opponents, so by necessity you have to judge players based on what they are doing in the current game.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how to benefit by establishing ourselves as a fish. But I do make amends to my game depending on the image established. So play more aggressively if opponents are trying to run over me due to my weak image.

But it's a leveling game and can back fire at times. Mostly I try to play solid fundamental aggressive style.