In a rut...

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like no matter what I read or try to change things up, my game is not improving. My hourly win rate just wont change. I would love to get off the 1/2 tables but I seem to be playing automatically, instinctively and always getting the same results.

At this point I am not ready to hire a coach, I am just wondering what people have done to improve their game significantly?

Thanks!

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't post what your "hourly win rate" is so its hard to really comment. If you are pulling down some cash, keep making small tweaks. If you are breaking even or losing, you are playing over your level. I would drop down to increase my win rate and look to add to my tool box.

At the 1/2 level, a coach is hard to come by. The winning players will make more than you would pay, without the aggravation. A bad coach won't help.

Something that would really help is to find other players near you and work together to improve your games collectively.

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My cash game has been consistent forever. I can expect to sit at a 1/2 with $200, play for 3 or 4 hours and leave with $300. Sometimes more, sometimes less but overall I am ahead consistently. Seems like I just cant improve - Everything is instinctual and starting to be boring.

Don't get me wrong, I love poker I just would love some advice on how to improve

K

kay1919kay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

One thing I have tried on different sites outside of full tilt would be sit at small table like 1/2 with 200 build to 300 within 1 hours jump off and move to another table of 1/2. Then do the same. by the time the 2 hours is up I am up to 400. Then I will move to another 1/2 with my initial 200 and play it calmly and patiently tell I am at 400 this can take a few hours. Once I have this I can then play two 1/2 tables at once and continue tell you are tired. (If you were tired before this you should not be playing) As when your tired your judgement is off just an idea anyway works for me on other sites. However full tilt I am trying to start with nothing starting now and bankroll build and see how it goes.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi elitenuts and welcome to Cardschat. You are saying that you start with $200 and in 3 or 4 hours you have won $100, and this is pretty much consistent for you? With that being said, what more can you want? That's $25 an hour or more. It seems like you are saying one thing in your first post and something different in the next.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My game consists of playing at the tables always with the same entry and keep constant in this rhythm of game. Since you are victorious or loser, I put a goal of hands played per day and then analyze how I have gone and how I played it To be able Understand and learn from mistakes or successes. I like reading and seeing other players and taking things from each one of them. Greetings!

B

BreakTheBeard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a friend that plays poker well, I would have him come over and watch you play a few tourneys. You may have gotten complacent or predictable and you're just running on auto. He/she may be able to find some holes in your game and help you fix them.

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi elitenuts and welcome to Cardschat. You are saying that you start with $200 and in 3 or 4 hours you have won $100, and this is pretty much consistent for you? With that being said, what more can you want? That's $25 an hour or more. It seems like you are saying one thing in your first post and something different in the next.

Sorry, let me clarify. When I sit at the 1/2 with $200 3+ hours I usually leave within the $100/$300 range - sometimes I have a good day and double up or more, sometimes I bust but my game hasn't really changed in over a year.
I am asking for advice on how to make significant growth

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes ruts are just a phase and does not having anything to do with your playing skills. If you hang in there and keep a positive mindset, it has to turn around. Be careful of getting foolish with your $$ in an attempt to get it all back.

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are one of those players that listen to music while you play. Try listening to something totally outside your norm. If not one of those players who listen to music, then try that. Don't sound like you are in a rut, just sounds like maybe being bored is a contributing factor here.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no magic bullet to help you I am afraid. There is a reason they call most poker players "grinders". From the sounds of it, you are playing consistently, but to make a steady go of it requires a lot of patience, and then hope to get lucky against loose opponents. I have found that the quickest way to the poor house is to get greedy and keep trying for the big score. Grind, grind and grind some more..

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I question what you mean by playing automatically? Might be good to reflect and ask yourself if you are thinking each hand through or just going through the motions. Might be part of the problem. Been there before

steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play 2 cash games at the same time. Or maybe you should consider buying into a MTT with a sizable GTD. I once took $10, and between cash games, sit n' gos, and MTT's I was up $675 by the end of the day.