I'm too exploitable and predictable. Help me.

D

Dowan K

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, English is not my first language. Plz excuse my mistakes.

My play style is too predictable and I am prone to fold a lot when I have nothing.

How can I fix this?

my typical situation)

A lot of online players limp. I raise 2.5 - 3x BB and try to thin the field.

We go heads up -
I usually do c-bet but

I checked below 2 situations.

1) the board is too wet. (flush or straight)
2) the board doesn't help my continuation bet. too low cards.

Then my opponent goes all in or bet a lot.
I fold.

Should I limp too just like other players do? And hope to hit the flop?

J

jolmstead1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2.5 to 3x is not a big enough raise. You want to raise enough to either win the pot outright or get one caller. Experiment with larger sizes but, generally, a pot size bet or so should suffice in a typical game. One player is much easier to push off a hand than multiple players and that one player has a much less chance of catching than the field. Don't be afraid to double barrel against a single opponent either.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a lot of limpers you need to raise 3x last bet plus any money left on table. Example. UTG, MP, CO limp and you are on button and want to raise, you should raise at least 6.5bb (includes the big bling and small blind money). If you just raise the 3x all of the limpers will just call.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are beting preflop against a several limpers then that mean that you have a good poket pair or a good hand.
So if you have a good hand and you took the initiative (3-bet to several limpers, or make a big open raise behind them), then you should make a C-bet of at least 1/3 of the pot, no matter what flop it´s.
About preflop raise, I think it would be your usual OR and add to it one bb for each limper.
Good luck! :)

C

Cassagena

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm one of those people who limps more than raises. I hate it when people go all-in before the flop every hand. It seems like if I raise they're more likely to do that so I play carefully to see what's going to happen after me.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't get what you want to hear here. You stated that so many people on the field you are playing with try to limp in. You thin the field with your bets, and actually working cause you can be faced with only one player. And that is awesome.

Your problem is that you cannot hit the cards, and after the flop the other player(s) starting to be aggressive?
Cause if you are the first one to act on flop and you check, no matter what the other one have, he/she try to raise to see how you react. It is just defendig the position. If you not open, they will do. You can open as well, so it means that you can see how your opponent will react to that.

Turn can really turn. This is the card that usually gives the second colour on the board or the third, some straight possibility. Nuts are coming. The game become open here, this time may both of you slow down the actions, or one or both of you see huge chance in it, and try to maximise the value, or avoid getting betrayed.

If you catch the river, it all make things determined. Please, no matter what you have and how the party went, take a look at the pot, your stack size, and the other(s) stack size. Here can happen the last attack or the last defense, the actual power-lifting is gonna be end, and the river's flow will wave all to one's hand.

I am sure with learnings and practicings everything can be solved. Good luck to you. :)

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

My play style is too predictable and I am prone to fold a lot when I have nothing.

How can I fix this?

my typical situation)

We go heads up -
I usually do c-bet but

I fold.

everyone is a blacksmith of their fate ....... so good luck

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could consider increasing the size of preflop raises, and try to create an image of being tight by playing tight. If the table perception of you is that you are tight, you can work in some more bluff and c bets, and villains will take it at face value.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try playing much lower if possible, for example if you're normally playing $1 SNGs then switching to $0.10 games. Experiment with different styles and see what's working.

It can be much easier to learn a new approach when the money is less significant.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to worry about. The more you play the better you will get. I always c-bet also, I do not generally believe in giving opponent free cards.
First I'll say this is only my opinion not a criticism. I feel if you always C bet then you have become predictable too. If I notice this I would be more likely to either raise your C bet (probably 4x to 5x) or call and bet the turn depending on your action. Don't get me wrong I do think you should C bet at least 80% of the time. But I would say its better to C bet 100% of the time than to only do it once and a while. A criticism of myself is I probably don'r C bet enough.

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How can I fix this?

my typical situation)

We go heads up -
I usually do c-bet but

I fold.

Provide screenshots to make it easier for you to explain a specific situation.

D

Dowan K

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your kind comments everyone. I was busy at work so I couldn't reply earlier. Now I am fine. I was so desperate and depressed when I posted this thread but I have decided to let my ego go and tried to enjoy 'game' itself. Losing is still painful, but I try not to be a sore loser. :) Anyway thanks again for your comments and hope you guys have good luck!

Last edited:
Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your kind comments everyone. I was busy at work so I couldn't reply earlier. Now I am fine. I was so desperate and depressed when I posted this thread but I have decided to let my ego go and tried to enjoy 'game' itself. Losing is still painful, but I try not to be a sore loser. :) Anyway thanks again for your comments and hope you guys have good luck!

That's so nice to hear. I always try to tell myself to remember to have fun, especially if I'm not doing well. It's hard to learn something when you're feeling negative.

For your thread. I keep notes on the plays I did well and especially on the ones I loose big at. That's most helpful for me to improve, hope it helps you too <3

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t presume to give advice, I’ll just express my opinion. When playing at low stakes or playing freerolls, many of the professional tips don't work. There are a lot of aggressive players who play with almost any two cards and, if they match, are ready to go to the end, even with the lowest pair. It is almost impossible to squeeze them out of the game. Therefore, even with a decent hand, success is not at all guaranteed and you will waste your chips by raising significantly preflop. If you find a couple of such villains at your table, tighten up your starting hand requirements, try not to break the pot and avoid playing all-in if you have no candy. Maniacs don't live long. They can make a pretty good stack but very soon deflate like a soap bubble.