I would like to know a little more about 3bet /squeeze

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Cardschat members, I would like to know what each of you have to add on this topic.

I really have a hard time choosing good scenarios for 3bets and squeezes. I would like your help.

What do you think is worth considering before 3betar? And why bend instead of 3betar?

Is there any position that you find hard to play 3betting, for example, I don't know how to react versus UTG when I have hands like AQ / AJ or suited.

Let's open an interactive debate.:fight:

Gratitude:cool:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to pick your spots for sure and I think for each player these spots depend on what we are comfortable with doing.

I like to 3bet alot of my weaker hands and alot of my strongest hands - hands like AK, AQ, JJ+ are all generally 3bets for me because they are some of my strongest holdings - I also elect to 3bet KQo, KJ, 89s, 9Ts, A6-A8 (because these are the worst aces in the deck) and hands of that nature because they are some of the weaker hands I can have and I dont mind giving up weak hands to an incoming 4bet - otherwise the 3bet allows me to take control of the pot and I can proceed post flop accordingly. A8 will play much better as a 3bet than just a flat behind, if we 3bet, flop an ace - cbet - and get the fold, it was a much better scenario than flatting preflop and having to check-call down possibly 3 streets. I hope some of this is making sense...

What I am saying for 3betting is we want to mix in some of our weaker hands with some of our strongest hands - flatting alot of medium strength hands in between. If we are only 3betting our strongest hands we are allowing players to exploit us by folding and denying us further action. I also only tend to 3bet when I have a comfortable stack 35+bb's - 3 betting to 8 or 9bb on a 20bb stack gets awkward pretty quickly when called.

Squeezing is relatively similar if you have a limp or two in front squeezing is essentially the same as 3betting in a sense where we want to do it with our strongest hands and some of our weaker hands - when we get called, we can play accordingly post flop. Some players will look to limp-reraise their strongest hands but I find more often than not that limpers in general are more often weaker than they are strong. I also like jamming as a squeeze when I am on a 20-28bb stack. If our button opens 3x or less and say we have A8s in one of the blinds - I will 3bet jam as a squeeze from the SB/BB - this is highly effective against most button raises and will get through quite a bit - and, when called, we are often not in terrible shape. In fact we can get called by some weaker suited Ax and strong Kx hands quite often when players have bigger stacks and in those situations we are in good shape and should be first pumping that we got called by worse.

Both situations are all about timing and solid post flop fundamentals - make sure whenever you do decide to 3bet or squeeze that you have a plan for when you get called or raised. We dont want to be doing these things blindly and without reason - we have to have a strategy in place for whatever happens next!

Again I hope this helps, hope it makes sense. Take care, good luck in your games.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is difficult im seeing same players all the time so 3 betting would not work i have to constantly change mix up bets keep guessing etc... not sure if this is any help.... on one site i still 3 bet but on big money site? i used to do everything the same every bet etc.. i wasnt getting the wins i wanted or expected so played 5-6 weeks now last 3- weeks im mixing it up and regular wins getting deep etc..so is scenario to RAISE decent amount? 3-4 5 times/ mix up yes i do that all the time with position as much as possible...

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The first answer is very good! It’s about the same as in Sklansky’s book “Theory of poker”, a chapter on the optimal bluffing frequency where we "dilute" good hands with a few garbage hands, making the situation unfavorable for our opponent, no matter what he does in response...

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to pick your spots for sure and I think for each player these spots depend on what we are comfortable with doing.

I like to 3bet alot of my weaker hands and alot of my strongest hands - hands like AK, AQ, JJ+ are all generally 3bets for me because they are some of my strongest holdings - I also elect to 3bet KQo, KJ, 89s, 9Ts, A6-A8 (because these are the worst aces in the deck) and hands of that nature because they are some of the weaker hands I can have and I dont mind giving up weak hands to an incoming 4bet - otherwise the 3bet allows me to take control of the pot and I can proceed post flop accordingly. A8 will play much better as a 3bet than just a flat behind, if we 3bet, flop an ace - cbet - and get the fold, it was a much better scenario than flatting preflop and having to check-call down possibly 3 streets. I hope some of this is making sense...

What I am saying for 3betting is we want to mix in some of our weaker hands with some of our strongest hands - flatting alot of medium strength hands in between. If we are only 3betting our strongest hands we are allowing players to exploit us by folding and denying us further action. I also only tend to 3bet when I have a comfortable stack 35+bb's - 3 betting to 8 or 9bb on a 20bb stack gets awkward pretty quickly when called.

Squeezing is relatively similar if you have a limp or two in front squeezing is essentially the same as 3betting in a sense where we want to do it with our strongest hands and some of our weaker hands - when we get called, we can play accordingly post flop. Some players will look to limp-reraise their strongest hands but I find more often than not that limpers in general are more often weaker than they are strong. I also like jamming as a squeeze when I am on a 20-28bb stack. If our button opens 3x or less and say we have A8s in one of the blinds - I will 3bet jam as a squeeze from the SB/BB - this is highly effective against most button raises and will get through quite a bit - and, when called, we are often not in terrible shape. In fact we can get called by some weaker suited Ax and strong Kx hands quite often when players have bigger stacks and in those situations we are in good shape and should be first pumping that we got called by worse.

Both situations are all about timing and solid post flop fundamentals - make sure whenever you do decide to 3bet or squeeze that you have a plan for when you get called or raised. We dont want to be doing these things blindly and without reason - we have to have a strategy in place for whatever happens next!

Again I hope this helps, hope it makes sense. Take care, good luck in your games.

Thank U 4 Posting.

You shared some very good data points and strategies thanks for that.

The term squeeze originally meant taking an aggressive action vs an initial raiser who was called by a third player who has position on that raiser. Thus you are "squeezing" the initial raiser between you and the third player. This would cause many players to fold a hand that they did not want to play 3 way because of the pressure one could place on the villain preflop and post flop because of that third player.

Just thought I would share a history moment with you.

Thanks again for sharing.

:):)

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the range is highly dependent on the enemy, and from what you want to achieve 3 bet!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the range is highly dependent on the enemy, and from what you want to achieve 3 bet!

This is absolutely true but we need to have some general principles laid out for when we do this in a vacuum (against opponents we have no roads/stats on). Our strategy for this cannot be 100% player dependent because if so we will never be doing this to certain players and that will not be beneficial to our game whatsoever. These spots really become crucial when we are at a final table and looking at ICM with big pay jumps.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is hardly a player who wants to publish their ranges Velho and bluff 3 bets!