Did I play my hand well?

C

CRRRRI7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, my friend and I got in a discussion over a hand I've played yesterday and I'd like to know your opinions about it. It's a NL5 zoom 6max hand.

So I'm on the button with AK, facing a bet from UTG for 3 bb's, I decide to just flat call because of me running really bad lately and trying to slowplay the real strength of my hand. We're the only 2 left in the pot and flop comes: x3x

Villain decides to cbet half the pot, I decide to call because he would be cbetting a wide range of hands here and I still have some equity with my hand to evaluate the turn.

Turn comes: A

Villain decides to bet for again 3/4 the pot, I decide to call, with the thought process that he's using this A as a scare card, or he actually has hit his A, but I think I'm still in front with my top kicker.

River comes: total brick

Villain does a pot bet, I call, villain shows 33.

I lost the hand to a set, but my question is here if I played my hand correctly on the river? Because in my mind, he would've been betting there with AJ+ also, so I could only lose on the river against a set or 2 pair, but with a raise UTG two pair felt unlikely and a set is only a 1 in 8 chance he would have hit that one the flop. He obviously did have a set now, but I think that's just the top of his range at that moment.

My friend claims I should've folded the river bet, because I only had TPTK and faced agression on all streets.

In my opinion villain couldn't know I had AK and would have cbetted the flop and turn even with total air because of the dynamic of the hand. It's just the river bet which makes me question the way I played.

What would you have done in this situation on the river? Fold, call or even a raise?

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with AK, I would have decided if I wanted the Blinds or not, and go all-in. What you did from the beginning, was "slow-play" the hand...which, if you have been looking, is the demise of any good hand as board develops.
AK or AA for that matter, is far from a stamped passport to victory, and should never be taken as a given,
Prior to the flop, an all-in would have had the most impact on mr 33. I often fold 99, and once I folded 10 10...
In this case, your opponent was aggressive, and you should have expected trips...
GO BIG, or GO HOME!
ps. there is NO EQUITY in having AK and missing the flop against confident opponents.

C

CRRRRI7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I know my preflop play wasn't optimal and I should have 3betted there always, but going all in would have been a little bit too much because it's only a pot of 3 bb's and only QQ+ or AK would be calling, so in the best case I'm in for a flip. My goal was just to try to keep the pot small and evaluate every street what would be the best thing to do.

If I 3bet on the button and villain calls, I'm obligated to cbet the flop, even when I miss it (which I did in this situation) and blow up the pot even more. Because of my agressive playing style on the button and me running awfully the last couple of days (see my first post on this forum), I tried to get value out of my hand in a more simple way.

Edit: why do you say there is no equity in calling a cbet IP? If he missed his flop, he would have checked the turn and I could pick up the pot. If I hit my A or K, I'm having TPTK against a wide variety of hands I beat, like any pocket pair, except for Aces of course. If he did bet the turn and it was a total brick, so no A or K, I would have folded and only lost 6 bb's. Whereas a 3bet preflop would make me lose at least 21 bb's (3bet preflop and flop cbet).

Last edited:
J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you go all-in with AK against 33 you will lose much more times than you will win.Your crucial mistake here is on the flop when you completely missed it.You should fold right there.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, my friend and I got in a discussion over a hand I've played yesterday and I'd like to know your opinions about it. It's a NL5 zoom 6max hand.

So I'm on the button with AK, facing a bet from UTG for 3 bb's, I decide to just flat call because of me running really bad lately and trying to slowplay the real strength of my hand. We're the only 2 left in the pot and flop comes: x3x

Villain decides to cbet half the pot, I decide to call because he would be cbetting a wide range of hands here and I still have some equity with my hand to evaluate the turn.

Turn comes: A

Villain decides to bet for again 3/4 the pot, I decide to call, with the thought process that he's using this A as a scare card, or he actually has hit his A, but I think I'm still in front with my top kicker.

River comes: total brick

Villain does a pot bet, I call, villain shows 33.

I lost the hand to a set, but my question is here if I played my hand correctly on the river? Because in my mind, he would've been betting there with AJ+ also, so I could only lose on the river against a set or 2 pair, but with a raise UTG two pair felt unlikely and a set is only a 1 in 8 chance he would have hit that one the flop. He obviously did have a set now, but I think that's just the top of his range at that moment.

My friend claims I should've folded the river bet, because I only had TPTK and faced agression on all streets.

In my opinion villain couldn't know I had AK and would have cbetted the flop and turn even with total air because of the dynamic of the hand. It's just the river bet which makes me question the way I played.

What would you have done in this situation on the river? Fold, call or even a raise?

first you played preflop scared never good with ak.... second id have shoved when ace showed for sure.....you lost the hand probably get called even if shove preflop you move on:)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands