Did I mis-play pocket queens?

R

RDuke212

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay cc, I'm in the first or second blind in a buck fifty SnG, and get dealt pocket queens utg. Decide to limp in cause I'm almost certain I'll get a raise from the loose aggressive player to my left, and sure enough raises to 80. I decide to 3bet 3 times his raise because he's been raising pre flop with some funky hands already. He pushes all in and I call, because as I've outlined, I really believe he could have anything (within reason) but sure enough he turns over aces and sends me packing. What did I do wrong? Is this one of the few situations I should have folded my queens?

cally

cally

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like pretty standard play. Just sucks the loosey goosey woke up with something. It happens though, I wouldn't change anything except maybe (and you had a read on this) just calling instead of re-raising preflop. Even though this guy was loose, the flop may have either saved or gained you a lot of chips depending on the action. That's just being nitpicky though, im pretty sure what you did was standard.

T

Tariq2230

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont be too hard on yourself, you cant be sad getting in all in Pre in most $1.5 SNG's with QQ especially if you have observed agg play.

In the long run its profitable, hang in there !!

D

Dabs

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did what you were supposed to do and got cracked. Welcome to Poker.

87shorts

87shorts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that hand plays out the same if you limp or if you come out raising. you got coolered it happens. I wouldn't fold queens to a maniacs re raise ever I don't think. sometimes that's just how it plays out at least you had 5 cards to hit another queen lol

B

Birdman33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like you played it just right and just ran into a big hand. I used to limp with AA but kept losing. I like to shove but have been doing just okay with tens to aces.

S

Skillet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you played it right. you can't play high pocket pairs on a limp and expect to maximize your profits. It's better to be aggressive and get unlucky than to act meek and not only lose the hand but allow Something like Ace or King Rag to catch.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't fault your play given the description. That just happens.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You only fold there if you know for certain that opponent has exactly AA or KK. In this case, I'd say you ran into a cooler, which sucks but is pretty standard for poker. I know how you feel, because I have run into the same thing. You just have to go on and not get too concerned with specific hand results. Like I said, unless you specifically know his hand, not much else you can do.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just one of those hands, i don't think you made a mistake.

Mrmercurial1

Mrmercurial1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coin flip

It is hard to believe that he had that good of a hand preflop, although you could have raised from the beginning, but the result would have been the same.

Tough spot to fold .

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go all-in all day long with this hand against player you described. And most of time I would be ahead. So don't worry, you'll get him next time. ;)

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you've caught a cooler. dont worry about it =)
you had a read that he palys aggro-loose so you beat good half of his range.
if you would see the flopp nothing would chang, right?
he just got lucky

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you played it well. I mean even if you raised pre, it would be nearly impossible to just flat call his 3-bet, given the read, so a 4-bet shove would have come out anyhow. Well played, just unlucky.

LoCcO_OhNo

LoCcO_OhNo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go all-in all day long with this hand against player you described. And most of time I would be ahead. So don't worry, you'll get him next time. ;)

Agreed... even if the player is not so loose... you aren't behind to much.. it happens...

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with everyone that has stated the hand would have played the same regardless had you been 1st raiser or not. Still, going by standard play, I feel you should have raised first even from utg... reason being, had he re-raised your first raise, your intuition might have kicked in possibly letting you know "he MIGHT have better hand..." Question is: Would YOU have folded if you felt he might be holding ace or kings? Raising him first might have given you that opportunity... either way most people won't fold queens (normally, EVEN from utg) and he's definitely NOT going to fold aces(normally)

You got coolered... sometimes it goes that way... imho...

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should be able to throw any QQ playing poker people.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, the last time I throw a pair aces. the other reveals these cards to show me his full :)

lucky player face anything is possible.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard play. He could had some worse hands there, it just happened this time that he had AA

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't do anything wrong. Occasionally the idiots wake up with AA. You had a good plan, based on your read of him in particular, and executed that plan exactly the way you had planned.