I keep losing to monsters and trips

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi everyone like the thread title says I keep losing to monster hands and trips obviously I can’t completely stop this but how do I at very least minimise this I just can’t get a read on them atm and end up getting in a real mess of

P.s it usually happens when I have top pair and a good kicker and someone shows a monster and when I have a monster myself peeps are showing trips typical lol

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pair isn't a very good hand,and it loses to alot of other hands.Maybe take a look at a poker chart of the various hands and the order they come in,,,,a pair is pretty low on the list. :) GL

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Pairs Suck". This is a chapter in my not ready for publishing book.

We end up having to play a lot of hands where all we have is a pair, top pair, top kicker, second pair, great kicker and all kinds of other flavors. Investing your whole stack in a pair is a crapshoot. I think the best strategy is merely to manage the pot as best you can with only a pair. Some other folks will go big with their pair - that is their choice. From a value perspective, my belief is you need much better than a single pair to invest even half your stack (ignoring other factors like being shortstacked, bubble play, opponent skill, heads up, etc.).

One of the implications of this strategy is that you would never go all-in with just a pair which also implies that you would never go all-in preflop, because preflop you can never have more than a pair. (again this simple statement makes no other assumptions about the other variables of the hand, it is a starting point. From here it takes some other variable to convince me that all-in with a pair is a good move.)

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi everyone like the thread title says I keep losing to monster hands and trips obviously I can’t completely stop this but how do I at very least minimise this I just can’t get a read on them atm and end up getting in a real mess of

P.s it usually happens when I have top pair and a good kicker and someone shows a monster and when I have a monster myself peeps are showing trips typical lol

Sometimes we just run into monsters. This falls into the run-bad category. We lose flips, 60-40s, 70-30s and even runner-runner. It stings alot and causes us to question our own game. It can go on for days, weeks and even months for mtt grinders causing downswings. Nothing you can do to prevent it really.

Just focus on your game and maybe there are some times where you can fold when you feel you don't have the best of it.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing free rolls or micro your bets are not as significant. But make your bets significant enough to they have something. Sets are almost impossible to get a read on. Anyone tells you otherwise is questionable. Just keep playing and see if you can pick up if they have a hand not so much as a monster. Usually being like crazy is a sign. Let play poker

M

manyrivers2cross

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on stakes and position, etc, If you are going to get beat, make them pay for seeing your bet, in other words, if you have PP pre-flop, the size of your bet must be large enough discourage folks hoping for draws...just saying

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hands like TPTK or an overpair can be tough to play. You are typically either way ahead or way behind. If the bets get too big, you often have to throw away these hands. There really isn't an easy way around this. This is also what makes the "float" play so effective.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like you have to improve your reading skills both on table texture and on your opponent's range. Preflop action should give you some information on what your opponent could be holding. When the flop comes you have to be able to figure out what monsters are within their range. C-betting is a very useful move and will more often than not grant you the pot right there. If they call, you might have to re-evaluate. Post flop play is a very important concept and you should definitely look into it.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too much BS to go thru keep your stinking password:evil::mad:

It’s just a thought but maybe you could use the forum for what it was actually meant for improving your game and helping others improve there’s passwords are just an added bonus in my opinion

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone else Thankyou your words of wisdom are very much appreciated and the advice you have shared will be of great help I’ll make sure to re read all your posts again before my next session so there fresh in my mind

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR. Terrible about trips

As usual I take my free roll winnings and go to the micro tables. First thirty hands total garbage. Then qq so you know got to put a raise in. Then big blind goes all in so here we go. He has a.q of hearts. Flop comes out j,k of hearts and k of clubs. Turn was a heart so now my qq are bust then a q on the river. My first real suck out. Giving me full house.
Next 23 hands mostly garbage a few pocket 22. Then bam pocket 55 on the button. Hit five on the flop guy m get real aggressive on raise so I just call. Turn came some j he raises. I call. River is a 9. . I'm like no way for a straight no flush I must be good. He raises I go all in he calls and sure enough he hit a higher set on the river. Now I know this isn't the worst bad beat ever but it happens allot to me on ACR. I'm pretty tight player and flop has to help some for me to get aggressive. It's like it knows I won't play with crappy cards and out it to set me up to get rid of me. I don't produce enough action and it seems to end the same way all the time. If I flop a straight by the river they will be a flush. Variance is so high on this site.
I have drifted away from ACR and mostly play the cc free roll. I like Inter tops and have been there most of my time. They don't have the traffic and I worry they might not be around much longer but until then.:icon_sile:driver: let's play poker.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always try to remember not to lose much money betting my high pair, because there are 5 cards at showdown that can give anyone a 3 of a kind.