I have a question (why not split pot)

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the table is kkkk, my card is 55, and my opponent has q10. I thought it was 100 percent to divide the bank, but he took the whole bank ... what happened?)))

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's best 5 cards. Yours are KKKK5, his are KKKKQ.. his are better

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't worry, I used to make mistakes like that. Or when there would be a flush on the board and I would think it was a guaranteed chop just to have someone have the 5 of hearts to take it down. Had to learn that one a couple times when I was coming up.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The rules for "Four of a Kind".

Four of a kind, also known as quads, consists of four cards of the same rank and one card of another rank. If two players have four of a kind, which is very rare, then the four of a kind with the highest card rank wins. If two players have the same four of a kind, then the kicker card is decisive.

You both had KKKK, so the kicker card then comes into play. The Q beats your 5. Remember, only five cards count. KKKKQ beats KKKK5.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the table is kkkk, my card is 55, and my opponent has q10. I thought it was 100 percent to divide the bank, but he took the whole bank ... what happened?)))
The best combination is kkkkx ( x is the higher card ) , since there is a quad on table, your full house will lose , and your opponent is the one who got the higher card Q . So he wins. If the « card x » is an A (kkkkA) It will Be a tie .

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always find it funny when I think that I'm the winner of a showdown but then see the villain cash in the whole pot or it ends up being split up. I'm like "wtf just happened, how did he win?" In live games I don't get these surprises but because everything happens so fast online it can be easy to miss when the villain hit their straight or something else.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because KKKKQ is better than KKKK5. To split the pot should hit an A on the river.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, not wrong, you have little to teach math.part! He took the Bank because he has the best kicker! Learn combinations in poker, otherwise there will be no further business!

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be aware that a poker hand consists of five cards. In case there is a Four in the community cards, whoever has the highest card in the hand wins, in the example quoted you earned your opponent that had the Q. To have a tie your opponent should be holding cards like: 25, 35, 45 or 55. I hope you have understood. Good luck at the tables.

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers, but do you know similar situations in poker, for example in Omaha where you can get confused with the combination?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes.. the high/low in Omaha. I have not studied up on it enough.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the answers, but do you know similar situations in poker, for example in Omaha where you can get confused with the combination?
Yes you absolutely can! I'd highly recommend you get a little more time and comprehend Hold-Em a whole lot more then you do currently before you even attempted Omaha.

Keep in mind too that in the example you posted 4 Kings and your holding a pair of fives. That as previous answer stated in holdem the best 5 cards makes the hand regardless of if they are in your hand or on the board.

If the board had been 6677J your opponent still wins as the two pair on board are bigger than yours. Alternatively if said board was 6677. Ace or king you guys split the pot as board is better than either hand. This is very important to understand or your going to lose your socks!
Keep asking questions you'll get there.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Omaha it's a whole different series of potential confusing hands it's something you want to already feel really comfortable playing before you play for money. All these sites have freerolls just find a few of those and pay close attention.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Caret is not a five card combination.

A

akjordan16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basics

Its good to study and practice Poker basics before starting, get flash cards with poker ranked hands and poker game instructions.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It often happens so fast its hard to know what happened. I wish I had a dollar for every time I thought I had the hand won only to see chips going somewhere else.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a beautiful hand. 55 excellent KKK flop and bad turn K. Now you have a very strong hand to quads kings with a weak kicker 5. Unfortunately, the villain has a kicker queen. You lose.

seven_outs

seven_outs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its always the best 5 cards. So lets say if the board was KKKKA, it would have been a splitpot but in this case your villain got the better kicker. tbh KKKAJ wouldve been better for you :D

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The players choose the best five cards, from those in the hands and from the table.