I don't know the first thing about Omaha

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, I know the like, mechanical rules, but I have no idea how to tell a good hole hand from a bad. I mean, I think it'd probably be pretty good if I had a pair of Qs or higher without a 3rd one, or four paint cards in two suits, but...

What I'm basically asking is, I want to learn Omaha but where do I START?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, I know the like, mechanical rules, but I have no idea how to tell a good hole hand from a bad. I mean, I think it'd probably be pretty good if I had a pair of Qs or higher without a 3rd one, or four paint cards in two suits, but...

One pair is nothing in Omaha.

If you are chasing a hand make sure you are chasing the nuts.

I fold AA in my hand all the time. Double suited is the good way to go.

Good luck !

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer Omaha hi/ lo to Omaha. While you are learning the ins and outs of the game, there is a safety valve. You can win half the pot if you end up not having the highest hand.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need hands that can do well on the flop multi way. You want to have hands double suited(spades and hearts fo example) so you can get flush from spades and hearts on the flop. Let's say you have double suited connectors. Then you can get 2 flushes, straight flushes, straights etc etc. or big pairs like AAKK, KKQQ. Basically, you want starting hands that can create multiple hands.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You answer your own question, if we are talking about tournament Omaha, you need to find the chart of starting hands, and at the initial stage, stick to the chart ranges. Information about the game in plo, nlo or haila is full.:idea:

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One pair is nothing in Omaha.

If you are chasing a hand make sure you are chasing the nuts.

I fold AA in my hand all the time. Double suited is the good way to go.

THIS is an important thing to note. Not all AAxx hands are created equal. Some hands are REALLY strong pre-flop, like AAKK, AAQQ especially double-suited hands where you can make flushes or better.

THEN, you have hands like AA93 rainbow that are pretty useless, and I am happy to ditch those and wait for a better hand/spot.

You need hands that can do well on the flop multi way. You want to have hands double suited(spades and hearts fo example) so you can get flush from spades and hearts on the flop. Let's say you have double suited connectors. Then you can get 2 flushes, straight flushes, straights etc etc. or big pairs like AAKK, KKQQ. Basically, you want starting hands that can create multiple hands.

^^^ - Good starting advice to follow.

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve started playing Omaha H/L on PS for play money. It’s a great way to practice and see how others play.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 posting.

There are many resources available on youtube as well as Omaha coaches who post free material online.

You can read articles that explain starting hands and how to play them.

The first key to Omaha is knowing the nuts is there 90% of the time. So you need to draw to the nuts -not third nuts or baby flushes. As another poster posted pairs suck in Omaha as the average winning hand is 2 pair or better.

Also in low stakes Omaha you are being chased by multiple V so the nut thing is almost a certainty.

So you are dealt QQ55 no flush draws vs 4 V in a raised pot or JT98 2 flush draws you fold QQ and raise JT most of the time. Why, it is the hand you can make on the river that matters not preflop -not turn, you must have the best hand on the river.

Hope this helps
:)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise Ya!

THIS is an important thing to note. Not all AAxx hands are created equal. Some hands are REALLY strong pre-flop, like AAKK, AAQQ especially double-suited hands where you can make flushes or better.

THEN, you have hands like AA93 rainbow that are pretty useless, and I am happy to ditch those and wait for a better hand/spot.

I am going to raise AA89 double suited and hope that KKQQ calls me!

When somebody raises big preflop in PLO I like to say, "Well the best you can have right now is one pair!" LOL

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to raise AA89 double suited and hope that KKQQ calls me!

When somebody raises big preflop in PLO I like to say, "Well the best you can have right now is one pair!" LOL

Im learning Omaha as well, and your phrase... Nice one, gonna take it with. Thanks for sharing it!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im learning Omaha as well, and your phrase... Nice one, gonna take it with. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank U 4 posting

While knowing preflop tendencies is helpful in Omaha it Is not our main focus.. Your V have four cards, how all those cards work together is what we need to be thinking about. While we may know that a standard V only raises AAxx good PLO players raise great rundown hands as well. So we cannot expect to be up against only big pairs in 3 bet pots pre if one of the V knows how to play Omaha properly.

When you look at the strength of your hand pre it should be about making the nuts by the river. When thinking about your V’s hands knowing they have AAxx is helpful but not worth focusing on vs good V’s. The XX is what matters.

Hope this helps
:)

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips

Spinned cards of the same suit, two high and two low or medium are ideal. For example 78 spades and QK harts or 10J ..... A high pair in hand only works if it comes out on the flop along with a lower pair hitting nuts. Regards.:jd4::jd4:

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you talking about Plo or plo8? They are to totally different games and IMO very hard to learn as they take very different skill sets to play.