I am back

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi it has been a very long time many years in fact I think since I visited these forums I went from been a rig conspiracist who lost money to been a semi pro who made an income from poker and eventually learning the sites were not rigged, except the phone game App which isnt even poker, but a computer game I remain convinced the developers their hate me and rig it specifically against me.

anyway I moved away from poker and pursued other areas and have now returned to poker on a more casual basis. I now have a girlfriend who I love which I never thought, would happen who I live with and have been introducing her to Poker. She shows some real promise but still has some significant plugs to fill in her game. so Far she has played two free rolls the first she came 17th out 949 players I think it was ,and won £10 in a free roll which had her properly stoked.

the second one she got AK suited in against A10 off suit all in on the very first hand and lost and I am still hearing about it two days later.

It is hard to go back to been a complete beginner to the game to understand that mind set and guide her to learn poker step by step without throwing her into range merging and in depth probabilities. So I thought here might be a good place to help her learn about poker, and start getting her on the right road. Hopefully she will be creating her own account here shortly.

so what sources and advice do we have for my girlfriend who is a complete beginner to the game.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... It is hard to go back to been a complete beginner to the game to understand that mind set and guide her to learn poker step by step without throwing her into range merging and in depth probabilities. So I thought here might be a good place to help her learn about poker, and start getting her on the right road. Hopefully she will be creating her own account here shortly...
I think you're right about steering her here. I've started teaching my four year old grandson how to play poker. He's probably a little young for Cardschat, but we'll see where the future takes us. Welcome back and good luck!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Welcome back! Cardschat is a great place to start. I'd also recommend Jonathan Little's Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments as cheap and easy to read book to start out with.
Also, you should analyse her game with her. With the experience you have, you can definitely help plug the holes in her game.

Let us know how she gets on!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi it has been a very long time many years in fact I think since I visited these forums I went from been a rig conspiracist who lost money to been a semi pro who made an income from poker and eventually learning the sites were not rigged, except the phone game app which isnt even poker, but a computer game I remain convinced the developers their hate me and rig it specifically against me.

anyway I moved away from poker and pursued other areas and have now returned to poker on a more casual basis. I now have a girlfriend who I love which I never thought, would happen who I live with and have been introducing her to Poker. She shows some real promise but still has some significant plugs to fill in her game. so Far she has played two free rolls the first she came 17th out 949 players I think it was ,and won £10 in a free roll which had her properly stoked.

the second one she got AK suited in against A10 off suit all in on the very first hand and lost and I am still hearing about it two days later.

It is hard to go back to been a complete beginner to the game to understand that mind set and guide her to learn poker step by step without throwing her into range merging and in depth probabilities. So I thought here might be a good place to help her learn about poker, and start getting her on the right road. Hopefully she will be creating her own account here shortly.

so what sources and advice do we have for my girlfriend who is a complete beginner to the game.

First off, welcome back!

Second off, congratulations on finding love!

Thirdly... try this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagO_N2USvvxB2ykzb_kQn0hy

I've always aimed to teach in a way that is as easy to understand as possible. I do cover some math, but only what's necessary and try not to go over the top with it.

Because I've also included images in the presentations, if she is a visual learner rather than a reader she should be able to pick it up.

Hope it's a good starting point, and if the concepts in those videos click for her then she'll certainly be primed to understand the more advanced concepts you desire to teach her :)

My main advice is always teach them what they need to know next, and add on block my block, when you throw everything out there right away people tend to get overwhelmed. Whereas when you do it block by block people tend to be able to keep up and before they know it they have a pretty darn good understanding of the big picture as well!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome back! Cardschat is a great place to start. I'd also recommend Jonathan Little's Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments as cheap and easy to read book to start out with.
Also, you should analyse her game with her. With the experience you have, you can definitely help plug the holes in her game.

Let us know how she gets on!

Jonathan Little's stuff is the best. I 100% agree with this recommendation!!!