How did you get better at poker?

K

Kalvink

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How are you guys getting better at poker? I want to improve my game so i want others opinions and how they did it

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure that I began to play better. but I think the experience brings me the game)) well, of course, reading the forum cardschat.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes time but a lot of practice. The best way is playing in a live game and watching how others play. Also watch it on tv and see the different strategies. Start out with a somewhat general strategy of playing only better hands and learn about playing in good position.

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am improving my game with the help of freerolls and disassembling my handouts in order to ascertain whether I correctly played correctly one hand or another.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am improving my game with the help of freerolls and disassembling my handouts in order to ascertain whether I correctly played correctly one hand or another.

freerolls are fun, but the play is absolutely different than a regular tournament or a cash game. I would test out what you've done in a regular tournament. Take notes and see how it goes.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are fun, but the play is absolutely different than a regular tournament or a cash game. I would test out what you've done in a regular tournament. Take notes and see how it goes.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I see a lot of 'freeroll' play in real money tourneys. Depends on the player. Recreational - anything can and does happen. Regulars - definitely play differently than 'freeroll'' players. The buy-in sometimes is a factor, but not necessarily so.

Cash games can be different, but you also see a lot of 'stupid see - stupid do'. In other words the play seems pretty disciplined till somebody starts playing 'freeroll' style. Then one of two things happens - the table empties out or people check their disciplined play at the door.

Sometimes I think that you just need to disregard what you see, and just play ABC poker no matter how crazy things get.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well first of all, you need to know all the fundamentals, you need to know also what is the best way you learn from (reading, watching videos, or someone teaching you). In the end the best way you will master is playing the game, but don't underestimate the studies.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always good to read books, articles but what I like most are videos commented, is very good to learn.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say, the best way to implement new strategies, work with your new knowledge and get better little by little are still the CC Freerolls, as most of us play a pretty fair poker. Even small buy-in tournaments are full of donks that don't care about loosing 20 or 50 bucks every week, there are double accounts and they might say, ok I have two chances of donking and the third I'll play safely, so they are not that far away from Freerolls that anybody (including Kids) can access.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best place is to start by deciding what game you want to get good at (cash, sit n goes, ect) Then spend a few hours watching videos that provides an overlay of a beginning strategy for that game type. Once you become familiar with the initial ranges and how to play branch out by reviewing your hands on the fourms on cardschat and taling with other members. Poker is a game that you will never truly master so all you can do is try and get better every day!

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I improved by playing more , reading few books and watching vids about poker .
Ofc it didn't happen overnight , took me years to understand every aspect of the game , learning about my opponents and play accordingly . I'm still not there , but I like to think my game is improving and can't wait till I get in some serious $$$

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I participated in the pokerstars Poker School, watched several videos on YouTube, read a book and played many games mtts and some cash games,but still have much that improve.

D

Dsqtq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch many VODs, read books and CC of cource

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was 12 years old when my older friends showed me Warcraft TFT. This game fascinated me. I did not read books on self-development, I did what I could. I took a friend's "GameMania" CDs from them. There were replays of professional players, I studied them and trained. so I became the most powerful players among friends)))
So
1) First you learn the basics of the game.
2) Then you watch the game of professional players, analyze and try to understand what's what. 3) Then you play and analyze your game. repeat this endless number of times.
This is work, so good luck =))

P.S. Memories lead me to the idea: maybe I play poker badly, because it doesn’t motivate me the same way it does in childhood. Neither of which motivates me for a long time = (((

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is best to do all of the above. Someone likes to read somebody to watch somebody to improve with daytime playing. All in all training of any kind will improve your knowledge of poker.

D

DarHasWon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played lots of free games and freerolls practice helps and patience. ��

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How are you guys getting better at poker? I want to improve my game so i want others opinions and how they did it
I study, a LOT. To get my head into the basics I re-read https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/back-books-theory-poker-sklansky-375355/ and summerized each chapter hoping that it would help our CardsChat community.

Every day, I played against a simulator at Advanced Poker Training for a year. Yes, EVERY DAY. My goal was normally 200 hands.

I have a prioritized list of things I want to study... I work on the list every week. This list includes many things including: books, training with PokerSnowie, training with Red Chip Poker, watching Twitch, participating in Jonathan Little's Poker Coaching homework, watching PokerGo & Twitch, reviewing the hands I've played and working out the math to inspect my decisions, and - of course - participating in the CardsChat forum.

My approach right now it to study 60% play 40%.
  • I work a "real job" Mon-Fri from 7:30 - 17:00.
  • I work on poker from 18:00 to 22:00 M-F and 9:00 - 20:00 Sat/Sun.
CardsChat freerolls are GREAT to practice and to try new strategies. Hope this information helps

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker you will not get better, you will only have more knowledge, the more you play the more you learn and gain experience, the number of victories, the tournaments with a high profit, it does not matter what matters is the number of times and the time you make it available to the sport, if you are a recreational player that only plays for leisure to have fun then no matter the amount, but if you want something in poker a future or great achievement you need to dedicate a good time of your day to it. doing this will greatly improve your game.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of study to begin with. Then lots of losing and learning from my mistakes. Which makes me feel more comfortable playing. Takes a while like everything. Hope you make good decisins aswell.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got bettet by waching how pros plays

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is wayyyyyyyyyy toooooo general lol.... so ill give you what has helped me played poker 42 years offline... 15 online.... read dan harrington's books on m series.... made sense to me..... next i upped my playing WITH professionals for a couple of years.... i played annie duke almost nightly and discussed all games with her all situations a little with her brother also and he made me imho a LIMIT holdem playing KING.... I wish could play a limit holdem game daily at like 300 gtd lol i used to do that on the prima network and honestly would cash 2-3 times a week and most of time TID the whole event.... next is new but twitch TV now watching people where your playing is cool BUT you want the guy/girl that will help you and/or group of his followers to go over a players hands weekly etc... finally the real way to up your game is to play wtih people whom are better then you...we can figure out regular winners online... study what they do and implement what you can slowly into your game :) no ONE way is absolute and always be open to learning cause after 42 years i can still work on my game:)

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing hands with Advanced Poker Training -software, reading Pokerstrategy.com articles, keeping poker blog, publishing videos, analyzing my game, analyzing myself and my personality, keeping eyes and ears open, talking with other poker players, breathing and living poker, choosing to follow right poker coach for me, purchasing poker training products and the most important; playing tons of hands as good as possible.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Watch how good players play, learn from them.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trial and error. A lot of trial and a heck of a lot of error.

A

ashleycoor123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I learned more things, but my stack isnt changing lol