• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use my HUD, but there are a few stats where I don't know how they are calculated...

First of all (and probably most importantly) 3 bet percentages... Is this the percentage they three bet period? If it's 10%, then are they 3-betting with the top 10% of hands? Or is just the times they 3-bet instead of call a raise?

Also, what about aggression factor and aggression percentage? How am I supposed to use these stats?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All HUD stats are calculated based on opportunities. In PT4 you can put your mouse over the stat, and then it will tell you the sample size, and generally this is the first number, you should even look at, because it will tell you, how reliable that information is. If a certain number is 50%, but its one out of two, that does not really tell you a whole lot.

For someone to 3-bet, there must have been a 2-bet (also called open raise) in front of him, so only those hands are counted, where this was the case. If noone entered the pot other than the blinds, or if people limped in, you can only 2-bet. If someone already 3-bet, you can only 4-bet, so again its not counted.

So yes a 10% 3-bet does mean 10% of hands. However it does not have to be the top 10%, since many players will use a polarized strategy, where they 3-bet for value, but they also 3-bet some hands, that are actually not strong enough to call. Also most players will have different 3-bet ranges based on their own position, the position of the opener and other information like the HUD-data of the opener.

I dont really feel, I can explain completely, how aggression factor and aggression percentage is calculated, and it might even vary a bit from program to program. But basically these stats tell something about postflop tendencies. High numbers mean, someone is constantly betting or raising and rarely calling, low numbers mean the opposite.

Its not quite as simple as that, but its difficult to maintain very high aggression numbers, if you are never bluffing, so everything else being equal high numbers should entice you to do more bluff catching, and low numbers should entice you to do more hero folding.

Take the classic drooler fish, who always limp and call, and whose main strategy is to try to make a hand and then get paid. Such a player will have low aggression numbers, and if he called you preflop, called you on the flop, called you on the turn and now suddenly raise you on the river, do you really think, he is doing that as a bluff?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used a hud not to watch other players buty to view my own table image and learn to manipulate it.
On HUDS my aggression is INFINITE no bs

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used a hud not to watch other players buty to view my own table image and learn to manipulate it.
On HUDS my aggression is INFINITE no bs

I've seen that too... I'm unclear on how that is possible.

AF should be (bets + raises) / (Calls)

Unless you never call, it shouldn't be infinite.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen that too... I'm unclear on how that is possible.

AF should be (bets + raises) / (Calls)

Unless you never call, it shouldn't be infinite.
fold or raise my friend
Calling is a losing play overall
in my opinion

J

japg11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold or raise my friend
Calling is a losing play overall
in my opinion

in poker it's not black and white decisions
Call its a weapon if you use it correctly, same as raise or fold.
Somes tips to use call instead of raise or fold:
Have position agains your rival
Suited conectors that connect good flops ( QT, QJ, TJ, T9, 89)
Your hand dont want to see a 4bet
Pocket pairs that play easily in flop
Have a potential hand in a multiway pot
your hand it's not dominated by opponent range ( dont call lower Ax off)

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in poker it's not black and white decisions
Call its a weapon if you use it correctly, same as raise or fold.
Somes tips to use call instead of raise or fold:
Have position agains your rival
Suited conectors that connect good flops ( QT, QJ, TJ, T9, 89)
Your hand dont want to see a 4bet
Pocket pairs that play easily in flop
Have a potential hand in a multiway pot
your hand it's not dominated by opponent range ( dont call lower Ax off)
I used to play like that 15 years ago while learning!
It is good advice for newcomers and I always accept criticism
I play my own strategy now hope to see you at the tables