How to study poker

T

tablouh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys I just start to play online but I have good experience live play live for long time

So can someone answer me please
How many hours regulars study poker a day or week
And how thy study I mean best way
Do study and play or study before season
Or just take few days and work all day
I appreciate any answers

Happy quarantine hhh

H3kf

H3kf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys I just start to play online but I have good experience live play live for long time

I appreciate any answers

Happy quarantine hhh

Hello I am a beginner in poker
I study 3-4 days a week and play everyday
I watch YouTube videos and read books

T

tablouh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How many hours hours a day
And how you study do go through hands or just watching videos

AlexeiShok

AlexeiShok

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing online poker for almost a year. I learned how to play on the official YouTube poker stars channel. My cousin advised me to study there. He also helped me, until I started playing normally. By the way, guys, who recommends me a poker book? :)

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're serious, get piosolver

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually watch videos on youtube and review tournaments with hands revealed

K

Ktv2018

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that videos are the best solution to this, and also practice playing.

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a beginner poker player I think is best to devide your study and play time 50%- 50%. If you are not a beginner then you should study 20% of time and play the rest.
Everytime study before a session o poker and not after. After you can be influenced by tilt.
When you study you must reviev your hands histoy and spot any mistakes you made. You can use alos different softweres to study as ICMIZER , piosolver, programs which calculate equtiy.I understand that some of these program are expensive but they'll pay you back in time .Also you can watch tons of videos on youtube, twitch.tv.
If you can afford you can hire a coach. It will help a lot that a more qualified person spots for you your mistakes . Is hard to find leaks in your play alone.

georgel2384

georgel2384

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't have to much time to study. when i have time i watch youtube videos

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I study watching videos, broadcasts, playing and analyzing my plays, I check the hands that I lose and I see the error or that another line could choose

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I appreciate any answers

Happy quarantine hhh
Hi mate! I am glad that people have an interest in such topic. I have read an article about effective learning and I made a summary about it in my blog , you can find the infos there in few starting posts.This is very important piont in mastering poker.GL

Highscoregodx

Highscoregodx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twitch, youtube, books - this is the only way in the modern world

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone.

I was reading all the comments on this thread and they all seem reasonable to me. I am a novice (a fish bah, haha) wanting to stop being one and for that I prepare myself by reading books, articles, a lot of Cardschat and videos on Youtube and Twitch.
I think one of the mistakes that beginners make is to play a lot and study little, but now that we are going through this ugly quarantine moment I think it is time to dedicate even one or two hours a day to study and grow as poker.
This nightmare crisis that the world is sadly experiencing (hopefully it will end as soon as possible) is perhaps our opportunity to improve our game since most of us have more free time.

It is a pleasure to share this thread with people who are just beginning like me.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker study

I started by reading Doyle Brunson's book many many years ago, I then read several different books that were specific to a particular subject ie: The book of tells, Tournament Poker, different books by different pros. However, since then, poker has evolved as has the methods of playing. I recently watched Daniel Negreanu's Masterclass which is NOT a MASTERCLASS it is a very good basic poker course for beginners. I did enjoy it and learned several things. I then began Phil Ivy's Masterclass but only got 3 lessons in before I quit as his class was a joke and both Phil Ivy and the MASTERCLASS website should be ashamed and embarrassed! All in all, I learned the most by watching thousands of hours of televised poker and then found discussion groups online that would go over specific tournaments and the hands that were televised and how the hands were played and why.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading books is a good option. I have read Phillip Hellmuth's book and I found it very interesting. I have tried to play by applying their recommendations on a few occasions. it is not to apply them 100% but to take it into account if it applies according to the opponent, type of table and tournament.

T

tablouh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For a beginner poker player I think is best to devide your study and play time 50%- 50%. If you are not a beginner then you should study 20% of time and play the rest.
Everytime study before a session o poker and not after. After you can be influenced by tilt.
When you study you must reviev your hands histoy and spot any mistakes you made. You can use alos different softweres to study as ICMIZER , piosolver, programs which calculate equtiy.I understand that some of these program are expensive but they'll pay you back in time .Also you can watch tons of videos on youtube, twitch.tv.
If you can afford you can hire a coach. It will help a lot that a more qualified person spots for you your mistakes . Is hard to find leaks in your play alone.
Is poisolver good
Does it halp to learn faster