How react to a pot bet ?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You gotta add more details with a question like that. Just know that a large bet is likely coming on the next street. It is often done to protect a hand that can go bad on the next street.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very little information in the question
the reaction to a bet always depends on the circumstances of what is happening on the board

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much of a question there is it? Guess you’re just trying to up your post count.

Need way more information before you can make that decision. No sense trying to answer these types of general questions.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
after flop

The meaning that an interrogator is talking about it

About the case an enemy has done pot betting of after flop, if, I think.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general we should call small bets more often than big bets. This is simple game theory, and there is something called “Minimum Defense Frequenzy” or MDF, which we should at least understand if not always follow. MDF is basically the percentage of the time, we must call to make bluffing neutral EV for our opponent. If he bet pot on the river, it needs to work 50% of the time, so MDF is 50%.

Our default should therefore be to call 50% of the time, and typically of course with our best hands. Or sometimes with those hands, that have good removal. Like maybe there are 3 diamonds on the board, and we hold Ad making the nut flush impossible for him to have. This is the baseline, and then its all about reads and adjustments. Individual reads are, well, individual, and since you are the one playing this particular opponent, only you have them.

If I am to give, what I think is a bit of a population read in the micros, then I will say, that a pot sized bet on the river tend to be a nutted hand. Maybe the opponent was slowplaying something, but we failed to take the bait, and now he is trying to make up for lost value by betting full pot on the river. Unless I have a really good hand, I tend to just fold and let him win a small pot.

On the other hand a pot sized donk bet on the flop is often some kind of weak hand acting tough in the hope, that everyone will fold. Maybe a hand like A4 or K7 on 742 two tone board. If I have an overpair or a good draw here, I am certainly not going away, and I might even raise.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice comments by Fundiver on this one.

If you're feeling frustrated by an opponent betting full pot a lot, take a deep breath and come up with a strategy. It will require a little patience. Usually the best approach is to fold more often, and then when you do make the decision to call down, you'll win significantly larger pots on average.