How to play small pocket pairs?

L

LilBilTheKid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having difficulty playing small pocket pairs? Does anyone have any good advice for ways to play like 55 or 66 or 77?? I always seem to play them horribly and never profit off my pockets. Help me!

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion,if you have specific ways to play specific starting hands,it only makes it easier to be read.bet sizing has its place but also creates the same issue,therefore my advice with small pairs,i often fold them if deep in a tourney but in general youve got to be prepared to lose that initial bet and fold to a bad flop so something around the three bet mark is usually your best bet,then depending on the flop and how much of a read you have on your opponent,c-bet or push them off to claim the pot.sometimes its the only way to gain chips from small pockets,just remember randomness takes away from predictability and small pockets are dangerous to hold so be prepared to either fold or be aggressive post flop.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These small pairs are good for the BB equation. and also isolate the limper
For example, 22-66 is suitable for completing SB.
88+ can already be raised.
position CO 88+, BTN 77+, SB 66+ can already be used for restil

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Small

I play small pocket pairs for as little as possible before the flop. If I flop a set I play it from aggressive from there. If I I don't get a set I will fold to any real betting. Good luck !

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always play small pairs to crack. Of course if the flop gives me a chance to represent something else, such as when there are cards folded at the table, I can bluff and convince the opponent to be already cracked. In fact, everything depends on the situation.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and live by the no set no bet rule. Meaning if on the flop I don't connect if out of position I go for a check then fold. if in position and it checks to me I put out a 3/4 pot size bet to try and take it down.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and live by the no set no bet rule. Meaning if on the flop I don't connect if out of position I go for a check then fold. if in position and it checks to me I put out a 3/4 pot size bet to try and take it down.
I agree. with such hands it is not bad to try set mining, but on the condition that it will not be expensive on every street

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with small pocket pairs of type 55, 66, 77 bluff AK, AQ, KQ and so on.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends to the your position on the table and the number of blinds. in early positions it's limp, in the button and blind it's raise or push usually.

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When no raise you can limp.When many player's in the pot you can call a small raise,you can make good money in cashgame when you hit a set or not over cards are in the flop,versus a big raise fold.Versus only one player you got a 50% chance against over cards you are a few % in front.In tournaments and you are in late position you can raise or reraise to get one player in the pot.When I have a good feeling I play the pocket pair,but many times I fold it.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With small pocket pairs, I try to enter the game limp. Small pocket pairs need to be played passively, and try as cheap as possible to see the flop. I can also call a standard raise if I play in a position. If the stack is short, then it is possible to put all-in from any position.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having difficulty playing small pocket pairs? Does anyone have any good advice for ways to play like 55 or 66 or 77?? I always seem to play them horribly and never profit off my pockets. Help me!

I would rely on callingstation strategy with small pocket pairs.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just limp and fold until you have three of a kind... than you can rise... take care the table cards... if they have a flush or a straight possibility

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
small pocket pairs are a gamble, if the bet is small enough go for it and if you hit the flop well done.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play them against other large stacks when deep, the idea is to get in as cheap as possible and set mine, when no set comes look for weakness in the opposition post flop. I used to call all ins or jam on someone with small pairs if i thought they had AQ AK but it's risky.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

my advice, be aggressive before the flop and see your opponent remaining how he will play and if you feel the danger prepare you to fold me I raise pre flop and if the flop is bad I fold

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There was a saying: no set no bet. The goal was to get in cheap and seek a set.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to catch a set on the flop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in a standard tourney, you want to limp them in early position with greater than 30bbs effective stack sizes, and unopened in late position raise them. You want to make sure when you are set mining the effective stacks are at least 30bb so when you hit you will make enough.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early positions I limp from 22 - 88 from 99+ raise and from late position from 66+ raise now sometimes when you're in late position with 55 and someone has made an open raise to max of 3BB I might call and play according to the flop sometime AK miss the flop and that's when you can call to a Cbet from the raiser and win some good pots you have to play them always thinking on your opponents range more than your hand (like most hands)

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi, in my opinion, a lot of things determine the position at the table .. if you are in early position, then you should go up, and then wait for the flop and act on the situation ..

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If nobody raise before you

In earlier position - limp or fold whit big stack - fold or all-in with short stack
In later position - raise

After flop it depends yor ready about other players.

Last edited:
D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not profiting from them, my guess is that you are getting scared away from hands that you are winning. This is something I am still trying to work on myself. The fact is, most hands do not hit the flop, so having a made hand in your hole cards is an advantage. Alternatively, you may also be over playing when you play these hands in multiway pots. Heads up, you are likely to have the best hand by the flop with PP, but in a multiway pot the water gets considerably more murky. This can also go for if you are playing out of position.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pro advice

Thank you for sharing.

You may wish to share a particular hand as your question is very wide in scope.

The video below will help you understand how to play a situation in which your pair is an under pair post flop. Hope this helps.

http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/underpair/

:)