How to play Omaha Hi-Lo

S

SpaceMage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I am looking for some help playing Omaha Hi-Lo.

I believe I understand the hand rules for the Hi part. Same hand ranking as in Hold-em but you must take two cards from your four hole cards and three from the five community cards.

I've not been able to find an adequate description of hand ranking for the lo part.

Is A2345 suited (a straight flush - good in hold-em) better is worse than A2345 un-suited (a straight).

I take it that A2345 is better than a straight starting from 2 upwards until the highest number is eight.

what about the other rankings. Is a 2,2 pair better than a 3,3 pair etc.

Could someone please explain the rules of this game to me.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi,

I am looking for some help playing Omaha Hi-Lo.

I believe I understand the hand rules for the Hi part. Same hand ranking as in Hold-em but you must take two cards from your four hole cards and three from the five community cards.

I've not been able to find an adequate description of hand ranking for the lo part.

Is A2345 suited (a straight flush - good in hold-em) better is worse than A2345 un-suited (a straight).

I take it that A2345 is better than a straight starting from 2 upwards until the highest number is eight.

Could someone please explain the rules of this game to me.

Welcome to Cardschat.

Answer - The same value. Suits do not matter for the low hand.

Answer - Yes for the low hand but not the high hand. A2345 is the best possible low hand. For the high hand 23456 beats A2345. For the high hand the A2345 is a 5 high straight and the 23456 is a 6 high straight.

Answer - Pairs are not relevant for the low hand. For low hands, you must have five different cards, 8 or under.

The low hand is ranked from the highest card downwards. An Ace is treated as one.
Some examples (best at top)
5432A - Best possible low hand.
6432A
7652A
8432A
8642A
87654 - Worst possible low hand.

Note:- If the is no qualifying low hand, the high hand wins the entire pot.

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post from Orchidra.

I know this wasn't your question, but a couple of quick strategy tips as you get started out :)

** Play tight pre-flop, looking for hands where you have potential to scoop (win both halves of the pot)

** Be very careful about drawing to second-best hands

** Value bet your strong hands aggressively against opponents with one-way hands or taking weak hands too far