• Thread starter ThinkIllcallUwitha5
  • Start date
T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I just find a chart and follow it? I can't tell if there is no skill involved, or if it's just that I haven't built the necessary skill yet. Feels like the only way to go is take a shot with a shove, but that's kind of disappointing after playing with skill the whole tournament.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch your ICM....wait for a big pair or dominate hand with plausible calling inferior hand. Look up your final table.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch your ICM....wait for a big pair or dominate hand with plausible calling inferior hand. Look up your final table.

I thought I was doing that but I was getting blinded out. I had 9 BB left due to the fast-rising BB level, so I shoved when I saw my first pocket pair which was 44 on the button, but got called by 99 and Q4 and the 99 beat me. Pretty annoying that that fellow called an all in with Q4, I would not have expected that.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Q4 would call you if they had u covered. I dont think i would call with 44 with 9bbs still on my side of the table. Two face cards would be what i would do in desperation. 44 is like, any card opponent catches would take down 4's. But thats why we play poker, anything can happen.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I just find a chart and follow it? I can't tell if there is no skill involved, or if it's just that I haven't built the necessary skill yet. Feels like the only way to go is take a shot with a shove, but that's kind of disappointing after playing with skill the whole tournament.

Gus Hansen would be laughing right now because what we call aggro tard/tilt/fish and even donkey. Can have excellent odds lets say for example ten people 12 blinds average stack
1 guy limps with KsQs and you shove utg with 7c5h for 12 bbs into a 5 bb pot everyone folds you're at 17bb and 2 guys with 10 bbs and 1 with 11bbs everyone else at 12. If you do this again and get away with it you're now at 20-22 BBs. If KsQs did call you youre a 37%. Youre playing poker wrong at that stage you need to know whos who and pick a spot you think you can steal and get away with it cards are not need to squeeze while on bb if you notice a limper limping too much. Remember everyones using the chart just like you said that chart tells em to fold a lot, we play the people playing the charts why tf would we use a chart too??? skill and heart go together follow through and GL on the tables

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to clarify that the reason I was annoyed by his call is because he took one of my outs, and that's not a call I would have made with those cards so I didn't expect one of the 4's to be in anyone's hand. The reason I shoved with 44's is because an odds calculator told me that the lowest pocket pair beats the highest non-pair (AK) in heads up. Interestingly, the order changes in a 3 way: the AK comes ahead of the 22's. Rerunning it, low pairs get beaten by a lot in non-heads up situations. I'll be more careful with them in the future. It was a bit of a bad beat that someone else had a pocket pair right when I needed them not to, but that is poker.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry I missed it, but are you playing freerolls? You say you were called by 99 and Q4, but was Q4 in the SB or BB? I kind of get it if he was in the SB and had a lot of chips. But if he overcalled that's pretty weird.

There is absolutely skill in short stack strategy MTT's, but at 9bb and below you are definitely going to be mostly following charts. That being said, you can make adjustments to your jamming ranges based on who your opponents are, and this is what separates decent MTT regs from short stack ninjas imo.

Just keep studying, but always keep your opponents in mind and start to figure out when it might make sense to deviate a bit away from the charts.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I missed it, but are you playing freerolls? You say you were called by 99 and Q4, but was Q4 in the SB or BB? I kind of get it if he was in the SB and had a lot of chips. But if he overcalled that's pretty weird.

There is absolutely skill in short stack strategy MTT's, but at 9bb and below you are definitely going to be mostly following charts. That being said, you can make adjustments to your jamming ranges based on who your opponents are, and this is what separates decent MTT regs from short stack ninjas imo.

Just keep studying, but always keep your opponents in mind and start to figure out when it might make sense to deviate a bit away from the charts.

Yes, that was a freeroll. I believe he was UTG +2 or, 99s was BB. He wasn't defending blinds, just being really loose I think, and got lucky. Like you said in another thread, freerolls are played in a different way, and this was an ideal example. I'm almost certain that call wouldn't have been made by the Q4 (but about 60/40% chance the 99's would call) in any paid game I've played in yet.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For these turbo tournaments it is very important to be clear about the 10bb short stack strategy, if you do not know about this you are really very complicated to aspire to win something in this type of tournaments. The important thing is to steal as many large blinds as possible