How to play JJ before flop?

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!

Would like to know how is the best way to play JJ before flop? Is there any different methods etc.. Thanks!

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all i know is more than 50% of the time im holding these two guys pre flop they are destroyed. for me anyway

MissMtnDewAQ

MissMtnDewAQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold.

J/k, well maybe I'm not. There is really no good way to play this hand.
You basically just need luck on your side as it usually gets crushed
when i play it. And I have played it all different ways, just a killer.

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys! I know JJ is never good for me as well.

F

Frozrbyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop 3bet against a raise. I might just call on the button if theres only 1 player in the pot and the blinds are absolute nits. Flat any 3bets and play post flop against most players.

I treat JJ the same way I treat TT. It's just a pair. It's a very good hand and I'll play it aggressive preflop against maniacs even if it means going all in. Play it cautious against nits. If there are overcards on board, play with a plan to get to showdown as cheaply as possible.

If things get out of hand, get ready to fold. However I might just go all the way with it depending on the player type

Last edited:
victory22422

victory22422

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, you can call with JJ, if in your stack 20+bb. You have some chances to take another J on flop. Or just have overpair on flop. Its defenitly call preflop.

Ofc you dont need to call raises, but you can 3bb in some situations. It depends on torney, position, etc...

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise 4bb or reraise but fold to 4bet.

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends where you play cash or sng/mtt
your position?

first to say - raise always. call 3bet
you can rerasise or just call

of course fold to 4bet
not the best hand to play of course

Saperion

Saperion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play JJ as a medium pair hoping to connect a set.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
JJ its 3bet preflop, i dont think its all-in, i have lost many hands with JJ'S

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My answer is I play all hands that I am going to open exactly the same. If someone has opened before me and I am holding JJ, then it will depend on who opened the action after they opened what position I am in, what stage of the tournament I am in, my stack size and my opponents stack size. So there are a lot of variables.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!

Would like to know how is the best way to play JJ before flop? Is there any different methods etc.. Thanks!
it depends on what other players play. its hard to let it go bun when some tight player moves all in its better to fold cuz its major chance for AK or Q on the flop turn or river. But if most players fold i usually raise 2 bb ;)

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your position, table dynamics, chips stacks, stage in a tournament etc.

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for once yesterday it worked, turn quads.
really shocked the ugh out of me :)

goddyvips007

goddyvips007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best answer-It depends
If you have a jj in a tournament starting where most of them all in- (fold)
If you are in a cash game than raise little and check the flop.
If you are in tournament final table than call the blind(at final table blind is very high) and check for flop .

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyones scared of JJ. JJ is a good hand!

If you're first to act, then open 3-5BB.
If someone raises before you, you can either just call or 3bet. 3 betting should get the suited connectors and weak aces off your back, but you're not often getting called by worse.

Just because there's an A or a K or a Q on the flop doesn't mean you're beat. Don't be scared. C-bet like a boss, see where you're at.

If you have 20bb or less, just shove. It's the right move. No questions asked. Remember the math is almost against jacks. Something like %45 of the time you'll see an overcard to your JJ by the river.

goodluck, and don't be scared. I'd rather JJ over 22-1010 any day!

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to have carefull to play JJ before flop. A raise of 3 or 4BB is needed to avoid lose with a worst hand than ours. In most of cases (depending of the tournament and of the players involved) when you rase, only hand pairs or A kicker will pay it. After that it's a question to read the flop and play according to that! If you are in the beggining of a tourney, a re-raise option can also be played but a re-raise all-in is a risk way!!! More good and better hands will come for sure!!!

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem isnt how to play JJ pre flop. All we do is raise, I play 4nl so I make it 4xbb in lp and 5xbb in ep. If I get re raised I make a decision.

I expect in reality you are having difficulties with JJ because you need to work on your post flop hand reading. Playing JJ pre is painfully simple.

Ljuk358

Ljuk358

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your position, stacks and type of tournament... Play as good as you know... And do not tilt...

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!

I usually raise to 2 bb but if and call all in in freeroll tournaments cuz in freeroll MTT-s people bet on anything. But when i play for money if someone goes all in i usually fold but depends on how deep you are and your position

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for this useful information! I try to be more carefull with these boys. I managed to flop full house today with JJ though. :)

G

grumpyone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you should play JJ the same you would play any hand you want to either see the flop or take it down pre flop
jo shmo opens utg 3 x bb, billy the fish raises. you fold
jo shmo limps, billy the fish flat calls . you raise pot size
you raise utg, jo shmo calls. billy the fish raises, you fold
jo shmo raise utg, billy the fish calls , you raise
you raise utg jo shmo call billy folds.. you c bet what ever the flop
you raise utg jo shmo calls billy calls ..you hope for low flop or set :)

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general or bigger raise all in , if you approach places paid and only needs to get out more then .

at least that I play.are cases that you and fold

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Admit that JJ is really hard to play.

I usually lost with them. I consider it now not a strong starting hand.

Your move depends on many things like stacks, position, etc.