How to play JJ

2017WSOP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

Like most Im always torn about how to play JJ. My eyes say it's a monster but my roll doesnt agree. Any advice?

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks is definitely a monster hand preflop, but even then, an opponent holding two overcards will resuly in a coinflip in the flop.

My suggestion is to bet big to scare the mediocre hands away and hope for a dry flop.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

Like most Im always torn about how to play JJ. My eyes say it's a monster but my roll doesnt agree. Any advice?

A lot depends on the specific situation, but you should always be playing this hand aggressively pre-flop. This means you will usually be Open raising or 3-betting. You will want to thin the field and play the hand against minimal opponets for the best chance to win the hand.

Obviously post-flop one should be more cautious when the board presents overcards or straights/flushes. Many flops will be suitable for JJ with no overcards where you can feel good about continuing.

JJ is a very strong hand and can win many times unimproved. Just be aware of the board texture and your opponents range and play accordingly. If the board presents many dangers to your hand do not be afraid to fold either, JJ is very delicate when several overcards are present on the board.

O

oskariy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in

Hey guys,

ALL IN. Can't make mistakes if you just shove!

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shoud put all in... but i know you have to analyse your position, other players.. and everything before take a decision

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ALL IN. Can't make mistakes if you just shove!
the mistake may very well be the shove. you may not be getting all the chips you could have won and you may lose everything when called. all in preflop is better for the inexperienced player or someone that is a bad post flop player. remember the object is not to win the most hands but to extract the most chips.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I decide on an appropriate bet amount, then I fold & after the game I donate the amount I would have bet to my favorite charity. Win/win.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks Are not as strong as they look . try not to coin flip with jacks. See what the board texture is like . Try to get Jacks to showdown not risking your whole stack.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey guys,

Your eyes are right it's a monster couple more like every monster pair this guy loses my tip play aggressively depending on the post-flop if you feel that you're losing it just leave your hand

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pair of Jacks is without a doubt the most difficult to play. it's a relatively bastard pair. neither quite a big pair, nor quite an average. Indeed, half the time, the board will contain a card superior to the Valet, and the other half the pair of Jacks will be an overpair.

when you are in a bad position, like UTG. There is always a chance that someone else will have a stronger pocket pair than yours. It's better not to catch fire. If you decide not to play aggressively, you can become so after the flop if you feel like you have the best hand or if you hit your set.

You will be able to play more aggressively and try to steal the preflop pot when you are in the last to talk. If you play aggressive preflop, try to reduce the number of player to its minimum 1 or 2. Keep in mind however that you have to control the size of the pot. if an Ace or a King were to fall on the flop to give your opponent a better hand, then you will be glad you did not put too much money into it.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very difficult to play, if I'm in position I raise 3b, praying the god to catch a J on the flop, otherwise I try a half bluff by raising, in short, I'll always be ready to folder

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth is a monster if you connect and yet it is a hand that is often defeated many times my advice is to play with caution:ciao:

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a pocket pair of JJ, I raise from any position. If possible, play against one or two opponents. When on the flop A, K and Q, I play carefully - here one of the best choices is a check or a fold.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that two jacks should be played aggressively, but everything also depends on the position, and on their preflop bets, as well as on their stacks, if your stack can withstand them all in, then of course, go, sometimes you still have to fold them to all players, but this is in the cases before the button, and also if your stack has 100 bb and an opponent with the same stack goes all in.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that two jacks should be played aggressively, but everything also depends on the position, and on their preflop bets, as well as on their stacks, if your stack can withstand them all in, then of course, go, sometimes you still have to fold them to all players, but this is in the cases before the button, and also if your stack has 100 bb and an opponent with the same stack goes all in.

You've explained it good. What I don't understand is why someone asks such questions when it ever so clearly depends on the context of the game. It is like asking "How to invest money in my company?" Well it f** ** depends mate :) . Please guys, when stating a question do it with more details, otherwise it makes zero sense.

B

bigdoggg325

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in baby. no nice raise look at the flop. then all in.

2017WSOP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The pair of Jacks is without a doubt the most difficult to play. it's a relatively bastard pair. neither quite a big pair, nor quite an average. Indeed, half the time, the board will contain a card superior to the Valet, and the other half the pair of Jacks will be an overpair.

when you are in a bad position, like UTG. There is always a chance that someone else will have a stronger pocket pair than yours. It's better not to catch fire. If you decide not to play aggressively, you can become so after the flop if you feel like you have the best hand or if you hit your set.

You will be able to play more aggressively and try to steal the preflop pot when you are in the last to talk. If you play aggressive preflop, try to reduce the number of player to its minimum 1 or 2. Keep in mind however that you have to control the size of the pot. if an Ace or a King were to fall on the flop to give your opponent a better hand, then you will be glad you did not put too much money into it.

I agree Ive been approaching them as a mid pair. I typically look for a set or bluff call.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strong hand 6 handed but not so much in full ring

In full ring I generally play it passive unless I’m in position

Sobewan

Sobewan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we end a random hand at this moment, how comfortable are you with a jacks pair for all your chips? As others have said, JJ is a POTENTIAL monster, not a made hand. I love it as a strong enough hand to steal blinds and it plays super strong in many situations but it will send you home sooooo often if you're not careful.:bike:

J

jdmBlue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop bet 2.5 to 3 times the BB. If no A, K , or Q bet 1/2 pot to full pot. Not a hand worth going all in on in many situations.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
The way to play JJ depends a lot on the situation you are in ... you always have to evaluate your posicon and the way of your opponents game ... if I were in early positions I make a 3-bet preflop , if I'm in the cut-off or on the button I possibly do a re-raise ...!