How to play AK on utg?

L

leon4iggg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i had a lot of hands with utg AK, so how can i better play this? When i raise everybody is folding, when i just call there a lot of people in the game, and 1/5 of them has better hand than my at flop stage. So whats the best way?

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK always plays aggressively in UTG. always raise. I think the passive game is not good. If the flop can not be found, a continuous call. Of course, if your opponent raises you, throw it away

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always raise on those cards, because if you call just risking someone to get in with bad cards and win already on the flop. In my opinion, it is necessary to raise always, without limping and other slow play. Just make a big raise.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise 3x the bb,if some player re raise I just call and see the flop.If the flop doesn't help;it's time to bluff.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Extrusion of a card depends not only on its range, but also on the game you play, the tournament, the cache, sit-and-go 1 table, multi-table, etc.
Could you specifically ask your question.
And remember, AK is not a complete hand, and, naturally, remember about the distance.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use this strategy:
Always open 3bb and cbet 1/2 pot, if we have max 2 opponent. If there are more opponents and the flop is wet and missed for us then fold.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like raising 3x... standard

Never never limp UTG

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing this hand UTG you are committing fair about of chips in doing so. Raising pre-flop and then post-flop even with not connecting can get you in trouble. Seen more people all in with AK from early position and then to the rail.

Play with caution or play aggressive, that is where it gets tricky. Knowing the table dynamics is a huge plus and don't marry that hand.

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise 3bb is the play in the manual

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK utg id definitely a raise and what you are going to do afterwards depends on how your opponents are playing, once the flop is out there you should know if it hit your range or your opponent's and act accordingly on the next streets. If too many players are calling or everyone is folding to yours utg raise, you must adjust your sizing, poker is among several things a game of "making adjustments" all the time depending on many many factors. GL!

H

hookmeout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AFAIK all the books says openraise the pot with AK

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i had a lot of hands with utg AK, so how can i better play this? When i raise everybody is folding, when i just call there a lot of people in the game, and 1/5 of them has better hand than my at flop stage. So whats the best way?

So I can't help you too much with this because there isn't one standard play that is correct or incorrect, it's going to depend on your table and the dynamics of the table.

It also will change depending on whether you are playing a tournament or a cash game and it will depend what stage of a tournament you're in.

Most cases barring late in a tournament or heads up we don't want to get to showdown with AK, it doesn't flop well and when it does flop well it's very polarized. I'm sure you've heard AK referred to as Anna Kournikova because the hand looks better than it plays.

Basically the play with AK when referring to an UTG open. and I say OPEN (because there is NO case that you will fold AK UTG) and (you should not be limping AK UTG) So the play with the AK open would similar to most "value" hands 2.2x open on reg. tables, and up to 5x on station type tables.

You can float the open numbers around to find the optimal open amount but the intent is to get heads up with ONE villain. Against most players it's a 3 bet and against some players it can be 4 bet or jam because it does carry decent equity for AIP.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, with such strong cards, it is better to play aggressively. Perhaps it is quite primitive, but in most cases, an aggressive game gives a positive result.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

always 3, 4x, if you play little you risk to call players with bad cards and tell you that you can take a bad. so the safe game is to show strength to the opponents and if your hand is not good it is only to leave after all, AK does not mean that you have to win always. Simple example is my situation from yesterday .... I am UTG (AK) blinds 100/200 I bet 3500 preflop, and won 4 call flop, J, T, Q .. I ALL-IN. 9k, gain 1 call. letters AK vs. KJ at the table has J, T, Q ... turn Q, river, Q. a pretty bad

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise 5x the bb, it's better not to get a win than to lose.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stage, you will always be in Coinflip with the AK hand, which is not always good.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer to play them aggressively preflop after that depends on the flop and the number of player who followed. but in general I try not to make too big the pot with this hand because it does not touch often and remains very vulnerable to a better hand.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise 2.5 bb.Thats the best way to play this hand.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I make a standard 2.4b bet and act further under the circumstances !!! I rarely bet more so as not to give out my strong hand !!!

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise

Raise with those cards as if you don't & just call someone will be playing with rags and could win the pot. Better to raise & see who calls your raise then to just call the ante and have someone with 3 -6 off suit win the pot.

Just my opinion :D

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2.5 to 2.75x open if you get 3 bet probably call unless it is nut tight player that is playing pairs then your hand does very badly against big pairs the way it plays.

A

andrewallenschutter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a raise. I don't think it could hurt to make it 3x either.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes AK early position...
depends on a lot things like other players, stack sizes, blinds/antes etc
i say need play aggressively ... AK against a bunch of people sucks.. its just A high...
so i would raise strong to hopefully get to one opponent or even take the hand down now, nothing wrong with winning... was a time I overvalued AK and got beat by a tiny pair often enough to appreciate its a drawing hand
so if they all fold don't worry... you don't want many of them see the flop and getting a piece
and don't get married to it... you catch nothing on flop and get raised... be ready throw away

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a raise from UTG is the only way to play a premium hand. But once the flop comes don't automatically continuation bet. If you totally miss the board but have only one caller sure, make another bet. If, though, you have, say, 3 callers, now you need to think it through before you bet. If you bet and get raised what will you do? Can your remaining chips take a hit if you call the raise and then are forced to fold on the turn?

My point is that after the flop your "premium hand" will only continue to a big hand if you connect to the board.