How to play a tight game

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not a very skilled player, so my best chance to make it ITM in MTTs is to play a very tight range.
The problem is that other players catch on to that and never give any action.
So, under those circumstances, is it better to play agressivelly and just collect the blinds or to limp in or call with top poket pairs in order to get some action.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before I was considered a tight player I played extremely strong hands and it worked for the tables where I played but when you want to win good prizes you need a more aggressive game a very aggressive player forces you to play tight by luck but not it's just that you play that moo is only adaptation to the circusntancias if there is much blind aggressiveness in the tables:evil:

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a very skilled player, so my best chance to make it ITM in MTTs is to play a very tight range.
So, under those circumstances, is it better to play agressivelly and just collect the blinds or to limp in or call with top poket pairs in order to get some action.
Lol i don't agree one bit with your logic and playing this way you'll find yourself losing more chips than gaining! Players tend to respond to your image in tournaments so if you have a very good one meaning your hands have showdown value after the 5 cards have been delt they'll tend to only call pre flop with strong hands which will give you the upper hand! If they know you're strong at all time they tend not yo all your continuation bets once they don't catch on the flop! So most of your value you'll be making on the flop and there's always the players that'll doubt you're strong and will call your continuation bets on the flop and you'll get value! It makes no sense to call someone's raise and they're not calling yours! So the trick in playing tight is to evaluate your opponents range and raises and determine if you're beat pre flop before calling. Don't rely on luck with weak hands that's how you lose chips!

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You want to play loose about three to five percent of time. I like to leave it to luck. One way is to roll a thirty sided dice. If thirty then play loose. It is a good idea not to play loose until blinds are up. When blinds are low its not worth the bluff.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have the status of a player at a table who plays in a very narrow range, then you always have the opportunity to bluff preflop. And also on later streets, when exiting a not-dangerous "low" offsuit flop. This can and should be used. From time to time, not too often, so as not to destroy its image of "rock".

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately playing too tight can be a stack killer. You will not get enough hands to play and the blinds and antes will eventually swallow your stack unless you mix it up some. Position play becomes important. You can use your tight range to your advantage and steal some blinds and antes by raising or making a decent size 3 bet. Your image will get you some folds that a looser player won’t. Also, by opening up some you give the table the message that you are loosening up or switching gears. Sometimes I throw in a couple mediocre hands just to keep my opponents guessing and not to be so predictable. Ultimately by only playing good hands you will (as you also have stated) not get any action because your opponents will know you likely have a monster hand. Watching some twitch streams you will see that the most aggressive players tend to be the most successful. That’s not to say play everyhand all of a sudden but you may ease into it by playing more hands and betting them confidently no matter what you have. Good luck.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think other players are "catching on" to your tight play, then use your image to steal more. I would start with the button, and if that works move to the cutoff, and if that works move to the hi jack.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your comments.
My question was under what circumstances, if any, it is ok to limp in with top pocket pairs like AA or KK?

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the situation and position,an aggressive game with premium cards and monsters will bring more benefits...

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, under those circumstances, is it better to play agressively and just collect the blinds or to limp in or call with top pocket pairs in order to get some action.
In the circumstances where you play tight and when you go fishing you can't get any action on your hook. You may have to bluff them and then show them that you bluffed them. You might accidentally get a little more action doing that and of course there is always a chance somebody may call you up on it, so if you do this try to make sure that your hand has a preflop equity. But you have to pick and choose your spots wisely. Read some really good online poker literature. It's everywhere. Try to put the new knowledge you have learned from a book into experience . Reflect. Try to think how you can play better and tweek your game a little until you find a comfortable zone. Keep learning and playing and your game will jump.

D

deMorphine

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that position is crucial in MTTs. Most people are playing tight as well so steal the blinds when you can during mid-late game.

L

lonenlynobita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I wish MrGoodFlop is a bit more explicit with his definition of his tight range.

I think other poster's suggestions about bluffing are fantastic and IMO is the way to go--but I will elaborate more on the bluffing part.

First of all, I give you some kudos that you did self-assessment about your ability and react to it by playing tight. However, I'm worried there is a chance that you're so into "I am a weak player, therefore I should play a very tight range" narrative that you're losing self-confidence. If that's the case, us telling you to start bluffing is probably easier said than done for you.

If that's the case, you need to start honing your bluffing skill--on play money game. Pick a single table sit n go at a regular speed that has somewhat moderate cost and play it. I personally think that 50 000 play chips regular speed Sit N Go at pokerstars are suitable because it seems the players are not too lotto. I don't know about Full Tilt so you will have to do some research.

When you play in the game, play with your normal very tight range. My normal 50 000 play chips table usually have some loose player that will not realize my very tight range--but other players usually will and these players are the one who is going to make it deep into the game.

You should reach a point in the game where the blind is high, you still have a decent stack, but even you know that everybody left is exploiting your tightness. At this point, you start implementing advice from everybody here.

Here's an example idea of bluffing.
  • One person has min-raised before the action is folded to you in the Big Blond. Flat call regardless of your hand--assuming the person who min-raised is not a tight player as well. If the flop has a single ace or a single king, bet appropriately even if your hand doesn't connect with the board. Your opponent will be thinking, "Oh no. MrGoodFlop has a good hand, that's why he called out of position. The flop must have connected with his card. I better fold."If he still calls your hand, then you know that player genuinely have a monster.
  • UncleConRon brought a fantastic idea about "If you roll a 30, play loose." My personal rule is "If I am dealt 23o or 24o, play loose." Sometimes I can go as far as three-betting with those card from the blinds. The reason why you want to do either of this suggestion is when your hand is really-really bad, you will stop thinking "Am I winning this hand?' and more to "Has the opponent called my bluff yet?" and "Does my opponent have a hand too strong that I can't bluff it away?"
Given you are capable of self-reflection, I wouldn't be surprised that you would pick up those "bluffing instinct" rather quickly and start exploiting people back with your tight background.

I understand why you want to play tight--if you think you're not really strong, you will make errors, thus to reduce those errors, you play less hand by playing very tight--but IMHO, to learn how to recognize when to bluff, you gotta make some errors. Which is why the best place to learn those error is at play money table where there is a minimum consequence.

Although I will make one comment: I am not convinced that showing your bluff when you win is a good idea. If you think you are a weak player, then it's probably not in your interest to show that you are capable of bluffing. I personally prefer to win a lot of small pots and convince my opponent that I am on a good run.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It is better to mix up your game between tight and aggressive depending on your situation or who you are involved in a pot with.

Different stages of the tournament are different as well.

The goal is for your opponents to never know what you have. If you have got a tight image at the table then take advantage of it by stealing some blinds/antes.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said if your table think's you're a tight player with a small range then you can use that to your advantage. Bluff a few spots here and there, specifically to steal dead money and blinds. Also make sure you're using different betting sizes, mix them up regardless of what hand you have if you're going to 3-bet / raise.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure about limping in with those big pairs, occasionally you can mix things up with this action but I would usually raise or 3 bet them. If you are seen as tight, there are definite opportunities to apply pressure by betting and pick up a few pots on dry boards where players are unlikely to have hit.

Top 10 Games