How to play a flush draw?

D

drayns1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the best way to maximize profits when you are dealt a flush after the flop? I recently raised my bet 8 BB and everyone folded. Resulting in a very low profit. Any thoughts?

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the table for me and the preflop action. It really will matter if I have the nut or second nut flush.

I never want to get too passive. if you do not have the nuts be well aware that the Single Ace to the nuts will stay around more often than not. Beware of the four flush and be willing to lay it down.

D

drayns1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. I will try these strategies the next time this happens.

anonimalit

anonimalit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check raise when u flushdraw is Ax and play very tight if you no have strenght kicker =)

vkillid

vkillid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the best way to maximize profits when you are dealt a flush after the flop? I recently raised my bet 8 BB and everyone folded. Resulting in a very low profit. Any thoughts?

chek - raise. on turn put 35-45% of pot
of course you need to consider your opponent and his game

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heya!
I think check - raise is better , anyway it depends on wich situation.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that you are still the underdog if your on flush draw.

Many ways to play like calling, check raise or even betting with it.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
min raised or chek should be a option,and in turn stronger raise depeands of ooponent.....

A

AcesFullOfDonks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have the nuts, I'm check-calling to disguise my hand strength. Let them make the mistake. However, if the board is paired, I'm check-raising. My opponent might think I've hit a full house. If he re-raises, your flush might be dead. Fold it. If I'm playing suited connectors, I'll re-raise them PF out of position (SB/BB) to signify strength, making your decisions on later streets easier. Aggression is key. Don't get out drawn through passive play with low suited connectors, BUT be prepared to fold them.

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm no expert but here are my thoughts.

You're questions is incredibly vague. So much so that none of the answers above are going to be very adequate.

You have to consider position, pre flop action, your opponents etc.

If your opponent likes to get very sticky and never fold to a C-bet, then you should probably bet after taking everything into account. If he's a very aggressive player then check raise is a great move if you think he'll actually fold. But if the flop hits his range strongly, you can't expect alot of folds. And if he's a thinking player you have to expect that sometimes he's going to think "maybe he's just check raising with a flush draw to take it down now". I know I do.

There's just way too much to consider. Can you give us the hand history on the hand?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
in my opinion if you are dealt a flush after the flop you should raise about 2BB not more or they will be scared. This way they will even think you are trying to bluff. cheq will be too risky unless you hold the top flush, since the fourth card could be same suit and someone else may have the top flush. if someone pays; then you need to consider that someone else might have a flush too and need to analyze the strength of your flush.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash play aggressive and passively in tournaments.

F

fooks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a check raise is the best option,but it is better to check the opponent before that

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a check raise is the best option,but it is better to check the opponent before that

You have to be careful with this. If you don't have the nut flush it could set you up to get 4 flushed.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it the nut flush? If so, checking is a good option to give players a chance to stab at the pot. I'd probably check/call flop, then check/raise turn.

If it isn't the nut flush, then I don't like checking my action and would rather lead out into the pot. You're going to get action from anyone holding the K or A of that same suit or they're folding all other hands except sets, 2pair, or straight/straight draws. However, checking and allowing your opponents to check behind could bring problems if the 4th suit hits the turn. So, now you're in a situation where you still be way ahead or you're way behind and betting for value with a mid flush is going to be very hard. You're either checking it down or check/folding.

Saying you raised 8BBs means nothing if we don't know the preflop action.

MAdesG

MAdesG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First you have to check and then they will raise and I'm sure that one of them will do a bluff and then you go all in , the opponent will fold but you win a lot

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Better in these cases to go slowly and raise slowly, because everyone can understand easily that you have strong hand from your raise!

M

maxpayne1994

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always throw a flusdraw of agrssiva way , because then you confuse your opponents ... ie will not know if it playing for flush or already have made ​​the game, including making time they abandorem the hand

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I have the Ax then its a check, hoping the players after hit some kind off hand. this helps to be able to build a flop in your favour, no pairs means no boats and u have the A incase off a 4hand flush, let the other players do the leading until the river

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what kind of players are at the table. But you can check or raise you have to be the judge

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think check raise is a bad idea as someone with a made hand will play back at you and if you can wait to get your money in after it hits rather than hoping it does is always better. I prefer a blocking bet here as it controls the size of the pot, will somewhat disguise the flush if you hit, won't make your bet with made hand appear than obvious and give you a lot more information on the strength of the opponent. If they are marginal they may fold, if super strong they may play back at you.

Full Flush Poker