How to play a big stack

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When u have the biggest stack on the table, how do u proceed? bluff, tight, offensive?

And in the other side, when u have the smallest stack, about 5 or 6 BBs, how do u proceed??

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are talking about tournaments, I would like to first see the tournament situation.

If the money is near - having a large stack, you can easily select chips from short players, including with the help of a bluff. If my stack is small and the money is achievable, it will be wise to just get it, playing very, very tight.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're far from the money, keep playing as you were, not too aggressive but don't be afraid to be a bully every now and then.
If money is near then players will be reluctant to spend their chips so it's much easier to steal blinds in this situation. Definitely play more aggressively here.
If already in the money and looking for me, you can often keep an aggressive style as players want to stay alive to earn more winnings.

J

jenia stars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you play in tournaments and having the biggest stack and you can povorovat blinds from others they do not like to spend them when the card is not theirs,but having the smallest stack should be on good cards to go Allin play to climb a little higher.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
close to the bubble with big pile I try to eliminate players, close to the bubble with little money to hold and wait for the bubble to explode

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With big stack you can afford to be more aggressive and play connectors and smaller cards.

Small stack, go all-in on any paint cards with at least mid rank cards along pairs.

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always play aggressive no point in struggling through the tournament

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big stack, bully the short stacks. Short stack push with A9 or better. Good luck.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to provide more information to get a good answer. Do you play tournaments or cash games is the best place to start.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, my strategy is different depending on whether we talk about a tournament or cash.
In tournaments:
Here I observe factors such as: the duration of the blinds and the antes, the amounts in which they increase, the number of players that continue in the tournament, and the types of players that I have at the table.
In tournaments, I have more caution with those players who are more aggressive, since a mistake I make would cost me much more expensive than making a mistake with a conservative player.
In cash games:
In this type of game, I do not have the pressure of blind increases, so I concentrate only on the internal variables that exist in the table where I am. (types of players, effective stack, probability of winning my hand, etc). In cash games I can be more conservative than in tournaments, since there are fewer variables.
Greeting!

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push down on short stacks. Don't mess with other big stacks.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty big topic. It is best to read the book and ask more precise questions, giving an example of a particular hand history. As a rule, if you have a large stack, you should put pressure on ICM, playing against medium stacks. Especially if it is bubble, the middle stack will try to sit out short stacks and will even fold very good hands. You should be especially careful against short stacks, as they are likely to play very aggressively.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you need to remember when you start a hand with lots of chips is how your position at the table will affect how you are going to use your chips. It is always easy to develop strategies when all the others have made their games. Of course, if you receive a very good hand, it is always worth to bet as would usually, but do not behave with a pair Medium level cards if you play before the rest of the table. it's when you're back with the big stack that you really have the advantage. It is also worth considering only when you participate in a tournament. you have time at the table to build your reputation with the people you play with. Playing intelligently throughout the game while retaining a large number of chips creates an intimidating image to maintain vis-à-vis other players. You have what they do not have. a lot of chips between you and the elimination. Show clearly that you have acquired them through your talent, rather than playing aggressively. The key to playing effectively with a short stack is to stay patient, but make sure you see well when the situation is good for carpet.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good advise on considerations you should have...realitive stack size at table, cash vs tourney, when in position etc..... for me the most important thing about having a big stack is to understand what i can do with it and when i csn...bully/stealing blinds is easier, even postflop...particularly in $ games beware of people trying to 'jackpot' you by hitting a huge hand and shoving (particularly low limit games where a shove is almost always the nuts...)