How to open UTG

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd 3 bet here instead of shoving. You aren't gonna win much during the beginnings of the tournament, just the blinds if no one calls and best care scenario is that you're flipping against hands that would call you. A 3 bet doesn't risk as much chips as a shove and would probably work just as well as a shove.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open pushing a starting stack of 50-100 big blinds UTG to win 1.5 big blinds isn't the way to go. An idiot might call with something like 87 suited and the last thing you want is a race for that many chips. Make a standard raise and go from there.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely not a shoving situation, and I think you actually meant "make an opening raise" when you wrote "3 bet raise", because a 3 bet is a re-raise... unless the situation you're describing is where you've already limped in UTG, someone has raised and then the action has come back around to you UTG. If that's the case then my advice would be: DON'T limp in from UTG in the first place, either raise or fold! But, assuming you did mean open-raise then, yeah, I would raise from UTG with AK, and if one player (ONLY one) re-raised then I'd sometimes make a 4-bet, depending on how loose that particular player's table image was. But if there was a 3-bet after my opening raise followed by either a 4-bet or by more than one caller, I'd usually give up the AK and fold.