How often did you fold a top pair on the flop?

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hy all,

Seems to me that happens quite often to hit a bad flop when i have a top pair like AA,KK or QQ:cool: and damn it's very hard to fold these hands:hmmmm2:. Sometimes i recover on the turn or on the river but sometimes i lose many chips with these hands because i don't fold it before...:damnmate:. How did you manage these situations?

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on board texture and position. 3 of the same suit or highly straight draws I'll usually charge for in position against one person; however, multiple people I'm usually checking flop ip and firing big on turn.

Also recently if I get led into oop back to back on the flop and turn depending on villains image and board texture I might end up folding

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players in the micros just won't fold these hands no matter how the board plays out so it can be very profitable playing against these types of players. On the flip side of that it can be harder to bluff at these stakes because players rarely do fold when they catch any part of the flop. Its definitely hard to navigate the donk filled minefields.

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am starting to fold top pair to a raise its ok to fold the winner u save your chips lol

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA and KK I would never fold. Lower cards are played according to the situation.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IT very much depends on flop cards, position and the type of players that are on the table. If you see 3 cards from same suit, 3 consecutive cards or lower pair on the flop this gives good chance that somebody have something better than you so you should be cautious. Also if you see for example 3 people shoving all in before you it is clear that the chance all of them to be bluffing or doing it with lower pair is quite slim.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I flew out of the tournament yesterday in such a situation. I had a Q on the dry flop Q, I got the top pair. the opponent had a set

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes it happens. And although it is difficult, but I understand that it is necessary to continue the game. This will allow me to have more chances to win than in this particular case.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively on the top pair on AA and KK or I go all-in, yes I have moments when they lose but most of the game is played well, there are times when in the game a few players have 3-4 players playing in the all- In - and I sometimes drop QQ or KK cards because I can lose on such a card but it rarely happens because I know that my cards may not play, this happened many times in the game when I was playing all-in with several players, now I try to play carefully!

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once heard a pro say he had never lost all in Pre with KK. wont name names..(KIDPOKER)..that said I play on acr, and lose regularly with KK to a set. As far as the TOP pair goes, if its a wet board..proceed very carefully and fold like a lawn chair against agression

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you know that top pair is beaten by flush heavy, straight cards, or paired boars. Too pair has come easier to fold for me as I’ve seen many single pairs go down hard. No need to go bust in a tournament with only one pair. I’d rather play another hand then risk it all on top pair. Sometimes it’s better to play carefully and wait for a better spot. I proceed with caution on wet boards.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not often, if a flush or straight isnt likely.

But I dont think, that normally happens unless you go with somehing like K3.
Sure more foldable than AK ..

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never fold AA after flop
KK and QQ maybe couple time

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, depending on which flop .. If there are three suited cards - a flush-draw and a big raise or all-in, I easily throw out the top pair if there is certainly no suitable flash card! It all depends on the game from the opponent and the flop so immediately it's hard to say something ...

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how the action went pre flop and what my kicker is and how the action goes post flop .

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation, the opponents, the position. It is very difficult for me to drop the top pair, but if the situation requires it, I will be forced to make a fold.

E

emerson rufino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only got it for once, but it's very difficult to give up, not usually the bone is not wide

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, not to many times in comparison to playing out the hands...

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never folded a top pair before flop....and just depends after flop...I have QQ and A hits flop...I might bet just to see where everyone is...if I get a call most likely they have A...but if it's cheap I will take it to river to see if another Q pops for me...so guess if it's cheap enough I won't fold..

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost never. Unless board is super wet and the bet is absurd. I need to see opponent fire another barrel before I start believing they have me.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hy all,

Seems to me that happens quite often to hit a bad flop when i have a top pair like AA,KK or QQ:cool: and damn it's very hard to fold these hands:hmmmm2:. Sometimes i recover on the turn or on the river but sometimes i lose many chips with these hands because i don't fold it before...:damnmate:. How did you manage these situations?

Does the opponents actions reflect their range... It is that simple. In my mind a good player is not defined by the hands they play, but the hands they fold. River calls will be losing in the long run because of pot odds and other variants, but being able to let go of a premium hand when you feel your beat is a step towards becoming a winning player.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Sometimes...In lower stakes you should be making super big bets with top pair. In higher stakes you want to play top pair more conservative.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely fold the top pair on the flop, but it happens. Here everything depends on the opponents and their bets. If the opponent on the flop puts 3-bet or the size of the pot, then I definitely make a fold.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top pair (with good kicker) or an over pair can both be hard to fold. It's rare that I'll fold them on the flop. You have to see where things stand. The problem is when you get any significant resistance from another player. It's hard to know where you stand and it's still just 1 pair. Usually if I get a call on the flop, I'll fire another barrel on the turn. If I get another call or raise, then I know that I'm most likely beat. I'll generally only take it to the river if I know my opponent is very loose.

Folding in Poker