How much time should I spend?

I

Ignoh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious what advice comes from asking how much time spent (day/week/month) is best for a newer player?

I was thinking of making myself play at least an hour a day, with 2+ friday/sat.

But tonight (at least the time I convinced myself to do it) I logged on to 0 players at my game on my site...should I add an hour somewhere to make it up or could that induce tilt play and ultimately be a set back?

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ignoh

I'm also a new player, I play the same games daily from Mon to Fri, my hours depend on what time these games start and how far apart they are from each other. Initially I played a variety of games for a set amount of hours but this didn't work work me.
Now I only play the games I'm comfortable with and seem to be improving in them.

Sat and Sun hours depends on the bankroll:)

AlyLauren

AlyLauren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on how busy I am or not, I am also new into gambling but I don't actually play everyday.

D

Davlic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker for seven years. Every day for several hours. I can every day to play in the cut. I read and read a lot of books. I am learning in practice. Faced with many interesting moments, which even in the books there. I want to say that no matter how much you once a day or a week, did not play, I still am learning. So no matter how long it takes for a new player ... Well, this is my opinion))))

M

massagegirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Location location location !!!

Just like buying a house, don't worry about the time playing. Instead look for tables that have players that are worse than you and play against them.

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bottom line is it all depends on 2 factors: Your goals, and your tolerance.
Without knowing both there's no sense in playing poker to begin with.

I play around 16 hours of poker per day. Being an MTT player specifically means long hours and tilt can last for days.
No matter how many hours you play be sure take breaks away from the table/keyboard.
If the tournament goes on break get up and get a cup of coffee or just stretch.
Also proper breathing is imperative to avoiding stress induced tilt.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you want to play tournaments you must play 3-4 hours, but if you play in tables, or tournaments like `spin and go` 1 hour per day is good for exercise!

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, im all over the shop with my times, but when i first started ....

I played the same tourney each day along with some regular ring game time.
Just be consistant no matter what form of poker you choose.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time you can really play too much is if you get tired and start making stupid moves. Even if no one is online in your game, reviewing hand history and learning via here or books is also good and will improve your game.

But ultimately, it's a game. You should enjoy it, so you don't HAVE to play any amount. Like someone said before, it depends on your goals.

D

dustin bussard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It really just depends on what you are playing, Cash games I would say an hour a day could be afficient, as where if your running you may want to play a little more often

I

Ignoh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash, not tourney. I plan to do an sng or 2 a week cuz what's 2 bucks from cash...but...

...The format I normally play is zoom. I feel that the most profit at my level (for me) is zoom, and it's what I'm most comfortable with.

There were no games yesterday so I played full table with intentions to stop at 1 BI. I was winning till I put someone on 2 pair when they had a flush lol. Happens, but I feel if this was my main format I would've made the fold.

Guess I should stay to one game and when I make enough profit expand to rings?

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My input.

I am tilt player. I wanna play all the time. It might b a good idea to get software, so you can play when the tables are running slow. It's not all that bad and some players are worse then the programmed software.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good sample size need a lot amount of time,it really depend on how you scheduled your time tho.

I

Ignoh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am tilt player. I wanna play all the time. It might b a good idea to get software, so you can play when the tables are running slow. It's not all that bad and some players are worse then the programmed software.

I do too, but I'm not reg enough to do it. I have a compatible fear v excited to win feeling. Though I have no problem separating from cash when I play, so I need to get myself to set down. Most all big losses I know wtf I did wrong...but that doesn't mean I fix them right away. Hell, if I did that my losses would drop by half.

But how much play should I set my goal for a day for cash game muscles? That's my main question, I'll work on my leaks during this time.

Should I set an hour a day or 7 hr a week and how should I handle no tables being open at target tables?

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play as much and as long as you can while it's enjoyable. When it becomes annoying or starting to feel like a chore, take a break and come back later.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your goals are your own, but don't play so much that you can't enjoy the process of improving.

Speaking of which, about 20-25% of your poker time should be on studying / reviewing hand histories / learning away from the tables - Do this and you will improve far, far quicker than just sitting and grinding.

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one can give you a solid answer here. It is different for all of us. I can play 6 hours of 12+ cash games and be just fine. Some may have difficulties with 4 tables for 2 hours. It's more with what your comfortable with. Start slow. If you do decide to multi-table, start with one and add one as you go. You may go too far, that's okay. Just tone it down to where you are comfortable.

As for designated time, that depends. Is it a hobby? If so, then it doesn't matter. Is it for trying to learn to play the game? Maybe twenty minutes studying, two hours playing. probably not that vast of a difference, though. If you're trying to play serious, Having a weekly hours played is a good goal in my opinion, but you shouldn't force it. That's what I love about poker, you must take it as it comes and let it be if it doesn't. Long ago, I could play 10+hrs and still be confident and making good decisions. Today, i lost two buyins and decided, to hell with it. I ended my session early. Although i was hoping to add on a few more hours, I just didn't feel right playing.

So to answer your question, it really depends on what you're trying. I would strongly suggest studying(videos, books, review) to improve your game considering you're investing time and (most liekly) money into it, so you'll wanna make sure you know what you're doing. In terms of playing, start small. Very small. Don't try to advance in time, stake, or number of tables until you not only beat the level, but also feel confident in yourself to push yourself further. Best of luck to you on the tables!