How low should you go?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is regarding playing suited connectors: Is there a proper position/situation to play 32s, or is the value too low to play? I've had some more recent success with playing more suited connectors than I had before, but I see hands like this and sometimes I'm not so sure what to do... is it an instant fold or what?

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Its prolly an instant fold. There are time to bet it. Good hole cards to go down with. Catch them next tournament. Or if you trying to make them think you don't have a hand when the blinds low and you do have a hand.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually it's a definite fold. For example, if you're the button or earlier in a full ring table, you should usually fold this hand pretty quickly!

The times to play it are mainly in one-on-one situations. For example, suppose that the small blind min-raises and you have 32s. You can call in position getting 3:1 or better odds. Or if you're playing heads-up, you can raise any two suited cards on the button.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to follow up; I found a nice starting hands chart that cuts off at 43s. It's a purely speculative hand that you can call with from late position under certain conditions. I've been following this chart the last few games and it's working out well so far. I'd post it here but it's from another poker site and there are rules for the forum against that. But a good Google search will get you there if you're interested.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually it's a definite fold. For example, if you're the button or earlier in a full ring table, you should usually fold this hand pretty quickly!

The times to play it are mainly in one-on-one situations. For example, suppose that the small blind min-raises and you have 32s. You can call in position getting 3:1 or better odds. Or if you're playing heads-up, you can raise any two suited cards on the button.

I agree. I would also consider stealing from BTN with a hand like 32s, if both players in the blinds are nits and dont defend enough. And I would at least consider calling a mini-raise from any position, if there are antes, and noone else have called, since then I only need to win 1 out of 5,5 times to break even.

I have certainly taken some pots down with very bad hands against players, who make these mini-raises, C-bet the flop, but then shut down on the turn and river, unless they have the goods. I show down bottom pair, they show K high, I take the pot :)

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold for me i usually fold 22 myself