How long will it takes to master poker?

Twisterman

Twisterman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, recently my friend asked me about how long will take to master poker, because he is new to poker. I dont know how to tell bcz I think it depends on the talent and practice. What do you guys think`?

A

All Rise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion you can never master poker. Way to many variables from hand to hand. You may be able to master an opponent,but never the game.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A couple of months to be a winning player. To master it? Probably a lifetime.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's kind of a loaded question. It's one thing to understand the theories that drive the play. But it's another to manage your own emotions and limit damage from tilt. That is just as much as part of "mastering poker" than playing the cards. And then it's to understand what drives your opponents and possibly being able to predict their moves before they know what they will do in some instances.

Of those three areas that I mentioned, the most straightforward one, IMO, is to understand the theory that dries the play. Mastering your emotions and understanding your opponents? I think those are the skills that will take you a lifetime to master.

Last edited:
B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can master skills but that doesn't grantee a win. Technically you cant master anything that has chance. Poker is a game of chance. gambling.

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even though it has recently been debunked I like to think to become an expert or master a skill you need 10,000 hours of practice. This common rule of thumb, was popularized by Malcom Gladwell in his bestseller Outliers: The Story of Success. The rule is flawed because it focuses on the amount of time spent practicing, and not the quality of the practice but I think it still give you an idea of the amount of deliberate practice you need to master a skill.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont think you can ever master it, it seems like the game is constantly evolving.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is never!!! There’s some many things in poker that you can’t simply master it. It’s constantly evolving

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
never say never people, the master he talk is the is how be a "great" player not the "unbeatable" one

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think some will never master kkk

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really never ends i guess, when number are involved, well just like numbers it never ends!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About an hour to learn and a life time to master.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just incase no one has said it yet - never. :)

You guys are right - the way the game is navigated by top level players is constantly evolving. When you think you know all there is to learn - that is when the others who are willing to work harder than you - leave you in the dust.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too think that you can't master like really master it, if you think that you did then I'm sure you didn't :)

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learn the rules for long !! understand the game for many years !!! I play 9 years and still have not understood the game 100%:cool:

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on what goals your friend has set for himself. In my opinion, to study the basics of the game, three months is enough. But it takes at least three years to make a regular profit.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may take a month or two months to play well. In the future you will improve your game and so on ad infinitum.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Every game teaches you to be a master. There is no limit to perfection.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online, if you have good math skills, I would say a couple hundred hours playing to be proficient. If you don't, try bingo.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What an amazing question. Simple, yet unanswerable.

There have been about 1900 chess grandmasters in the world, out of 800+ million chess players. Chess is a game that can be mastered as it is a stable game with no randomness (with the exception of the competition). This is an extremely small % of players. The poker equivalent might be the Poker Hall of Fame which has 58 people in it and has been in existence for less than 50 years, as opposed to 180 yrs for the chess grandmaster title. But this is really not a fair comparison as the PHOF is a US only thing and may have a bit of a different function than the committee that defines who qualifies as a grandmaster.

Poker is not stable (it is changing constantly) and it has randomness (the 52 cards) at its core. We can understand poker and we can become proficient at poker until we move up in stakes and then we have to do it again. There are a few masters - we all know their names, but notice how the names change over time. This speaks to the lack of stability and constant change. If it were stable, I suspect there wouldn't so much rollover in the names at the top, though new names would certainly appear.

Some names do continue to appear through the decades. These are the poker grandmasters. The common man will never become this person. These people have special traits and characteristics and a unique drive that allow them to become who they are. You must decide why you play. To have fun? To become good enough to win? To become the best in the world? These are all much different levels of commitment.

Good luck in your journey. Have fun!

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your life time, and Eternity after your first life. Good Luck!

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long will it takes for you to earn the most money in poker history?

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1326 lifetimes! ( Assuming 80 year lifespan)
So it might take awhile, but if you last that long, you should have the game figured out!

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
But everybody can become a semi master at nl2 )))