How to know how good/bad I am, how to improve?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello all.
I've been playing online poker and studying the game for years but have recently made a considered effort to become a winning player. I play 9-max SnGs on pokerstars and have an ITM of 35% over 43k hands; initially at 50c turbos but have recently (last 16k hands) moved to the $1.50s as I found the turbos too much of a lottery.
I believe I am still (only just) a losing player but I make most of the straightforward decisions correctly. I gave myself a BR of $150 to play the $1.50s and after 209 tourneys am $20 down and have not been more than $20 up. Currently on a downswing so looking for advice: how can I estimate to what extent I am losing due to variance and how much is down to leaks in my game? How can I tell where the leaks are in my game? I've only recently started to get my head around ICM so I'm sure that's one of them! I am currently reading Collin Moshman's SNG strategy, using ICM trainer and always reading/watching bits here and there online.
I understand I'm asking a lot of questions without specific answers so all feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for listening :)

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't look for where variance it is the reason for your loses, it does not matter at all. Try to review all your bigger hands (maybe where You lost 10+BB) and you might end up with stuff like: i should have folded this hand pre, should have shoved pre. And your bigest ones where you didn't went all in maybe You can get a few more bbs.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't look for where variance it is the reason for your loses, it does not matter at all. Try to review all your bigger hands (maybe where You lost 10+BB) and you might end up with stuff like: i should have folded this hand pre, should have shoved pre. And your bigest ones where you didn't went all in maybe You can get a few more bbs.

I agree, there are enough bad players to eat a lot of the variance. You have some kind of leak. Could be in your game, could be money management, or game selection/management. Could be when you are having a losing day (just bad luck) you don't quit/take a break.

Step back and look at the big picture.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my experience the best way to weigh in your play is to judge how you win and lose. The best way to do that is to try and gain the most while risking the less as possible. I know that sounds a little generic but it's important in MTT's and also SnG's like you mentioned.

You don't want to get into a position that puts you at risk. You always want to play your hand to the best of your ability on every pre, flop, turn, and river. To do this, takes time and trust me I'm still learning as well.

Elvin771

Elvin771

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want will be into prize you can be so patient and you can fold AA KK QQ JJ when you cannot help;) in the tournament poker

D

Deedoox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not enough to be in the money (get 3rd place). If you are in the 3rd place 50% of the time then you will still lose. It seems like you don't go hard enough for the win :D I don't know how you play but when it comes to the bubble, be aggressive and try to get as much chips as you can because that time is the most easier to get it. As you see it is worth to take risk at the bubble and go for the win.

But maybe you do this right, idk. I'm just trying to help. :)