KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
bad days in poker

How to overcome bad days in poker, when you go into the red every game?Stopped playing?

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to review each session and analyze key hands you were involved in, where you think you could have played better, where you made mistakes, was it tilt ??, Are you taking the right approach ??, playing too tight / too many hands ??

Try to go through your mindset that was back when you played the hand. Why did you think about making a certain decision, was it right to do such a think against a certain opponent. Once you start thinking about such things it will only help you get better. If you think you are just running bad then try taking a break. :icon_stud

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel its not your day (cards arent falling), walk out early to save BR.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No bad days in poker ,only tilt ,nervous or bad luck xD

S

sashwerter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop playing when I start on tilt

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use a stoploss of 4-6 buyins, take 15mins away then do a session review looking at hands. Try to write down 3 major mistakes then keep an eye out for them when you play again.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are bad days in poker where we lose almsot with any hand. In that case, you should review your hands when you lose and try to find if you play wrong and learn with that. It's also important to take calm and, in that days, do not insist and look for a better day tomorrow.

G

gard0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been playing 2¢5¢ 6 max and it has all been going pretty well, only played about 750 so its not much to go off but had made it about 10$ profit playing tight and pretty aggressively never really risking a lot. But in the last few hours I've been all in with AA preflop twice and they were cracked both times, basically taking me back to square one.

hopefully if I carry on how I'm playing things will come good, just wondering how people stay motivated in the short term after taking some pretty bad beats, would be great if anyone can tell any personnel tips or link some helpful videos.
I'm not going to be playing anymore tonight, dont fancy tilting the rest of my BR away.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No,dont stop playing.You should to have a rest for some time and not lose your bankroll.Your game would go up if you will have a time out.

O

oreska7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think quiting isn't option, I mean if you decided to play poker little seriously then your bankroll shouldn't be in jeopardy with any downswing. Just stick to your game and hopefully results will come. Remember: after rain there is sun ;)

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are bad days on poker where everithing goes wrong at least with me it happens
when you are on tilt you just start playing bad but when you are on a bad day everything goes wrong like the poker gods want you to lose when you make a good read and a good shove and the vilan gets a gut shoot when you have two pair -.-
i think you shold just take the day off but its easyer to say than to do lol

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sucks losing AA twice................when I get bad beats, I take a break.............move away from the computer, go socialize with friends/family, watch movies/listen music...............do sumpn else you love then when u are relieved come back to the poker table and kick some A$$

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had some tough beats at the SnG's lately...made it to the bubble twice in a row only to be beat by someone calling my bets with worse hands and drawing out on me. Sometimes you wonder...

...but, when you start to wonder, I agree with JamaicanKid. Just walk away, go do something else, and believe it or not, you will feel a whole lot better.

Remember, this is the short-term. If you took those exact same scenarios and re-played them over and over, you'd come out profitable most of the time (only if you feel that it was the very best play you could have made).

Play for the long-term. You're not alone...it took me about a whole year of playing poker to finally be able to control my emotions, especially when the bad beats come. It happens to all of us.

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep your head up its the same for everybody. You dish out bad beats and you receive bad beats.

G

gard0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
stopping playing was a definite good idea,, im prone to tilting after bad beats and it seems im slowly managing to overcome it, woke up feeling fresh and I'm pretty much over it the losses, time to start again.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing with AA it's not reason to give up. We have to play according with our spirit. Then we have to see if it's a good day to play: if, like your case, we lose with any good or even monster hand, then it's better to try tomorrow. Stay allways focus and the results, the good ones, will appear and with that your motivation will increase.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep doing what your doing . wait untill you have a larger hand sample and then see how things are looking. You cant get rich overnight. You have a veryyyy long way to go.

good luck man.

Last edited:
guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest clearing the mind and other activities like movies sports and even go dancing.

also be good book you will read some personal motivation :D
luck and see you at the tables.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus on learning and improvement. Try to revisit your plays, do you always put all the chips preflop when you have aces? Of course this is good in long term. Sometimes the cards will play itself when all of the chips are in pre flop. You have to take risks and play postflop sometimes. Why, because they could have folded on the flop or on the turn when they did not got their suckouts. If they have hit the flop hard, you will have a chance to sense it and fold your aces. Cheers!

Jollocks

Jollocks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been playing 2¢5¢ 6 max and it has all been going pretty well, only played about 750 so its not much to go off but had made it about 10$ profit playing tight and pretty aggressively never really risking a lot. But in the last few hours I've been all in with AA preflop twice and they were cracked both times, basically taking me back to square one.

hopefully if I carry on how I'm playing things will come good, just wondering how people stay motivated in the short term after taking some pretty bad beats, would be great if anyone can tell any personnel tips or link some helpful videos.
I'm not going to be playing anymore tonight, dont fancy tilting the rest of my BR away.

Just keep reminding yourself that luck plays a factor in poker. It's part of the game. Just remember all people get the same amount of luck, it's not about winning it's about making the correct decisions as much as possible and making less mistakes than other players. That's what makes a better player.

J

jass503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to get the courage up after you lost a great pot!

Whenever i lost a big amount of chips in a special Tournament i just want to give up and get frustrated ! how can I cheer up myself ?

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice question, tough anwser,

dont know maybe stand up for a while, drink something, tune the radio, but indeed dont keep playing while you can not think properly

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever i lost a big amount of chips in a special Tournament i just want to give up and get frustrated ! how can I cheer up myself ?

Analyze the hand and see if you played it well. If not, then try to learn from it. Otherwise, be happy with your play and know that sometimes you'll be the lucky one who draws out for the win.

T

Themal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just scream, walk around your apartment in a silly way and in the end breath deeply in and out to get your focus back to resume playing the tournament. imo it's better to express yourself somehow than to quietly take it in. you can analyse your hand later, after you have calmed down a bit.