How can I know if the opponent is bluffing?

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every player in poker wants to become a proffesional.Players often bluff.When the player is bluffing,his is bets are offen very big on flop,turn and river.I have read this in the book. But how can I know if he really is bluffing?:icon_joke Everything depends on cards on the board. If they are below 10, like 2 5 9 but the player is continueing betting all this time then we can say he was bluffing:burnout:But if the board is Q J A and he is betting then we can say that the situation is a bit difficult cause the opponent can have a lot of draw-hands:eek: and it's time to pass if not only you have quite a descent hand.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way to know if your opponent is bluffing is to call until the river.

Many of the statements you put are only correct in specific situations.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't know. But here are some things that make it more likely:

There are only two players in the hand.
The bet is on the flop, and the player frequently c-bets (as you mention).
The bet is on the turn or river, after a card that might scare you arrives, such as an overcard, or a card that would complete flush or straight draws.
You've seen the player bluff before.
The player plays and raises an above-average number of hands pre-flop (high VPIP and PFR), but is a winning player. Loose winning players bluff more frequently than tight players.

The player is a maniac who plays and raises many hands.
You have reason to believe the player may be on tilt.
You tend to be tight post-flop.
The player has position on you.

I'm sure there are others I am missing.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi this is a very good and useful question!
I read about this, I found this:
1.The continuation bettor checks the turn
2. Bets drawing flop, checks turn, bets river
3. Loose-Aggressive player check-raises a paired flop
4. Opponent you annoyed bets big
5. Opponent stares at the flop and then bets

I think these are the most useful ones to pay attention to!

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask them, maybe they'll tell you.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To recognize a bluff when playing with unfamiliar players can be difficult, but you need to wait to perform their play, and everything falls into place, but of course one hundred percent, no one will give

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
С другой стороны. Зачем мне звонить до реки, если у меня нет хорошей руки. Почему я должен давать фишки? Может быть, он блефует, но почему я должен звонить плохой рукой?

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very hard to recognize a bluff when u playing online with unfamiliar players. It really depend what kind of tournament you are playing, what is your position in the tournament and how much chips u got. People often bluff versus lower stack players trying to make them fold. Once u think your opponent got squishy hand and hes trying to bluff you, try to re-raise his raise and see how he act. (its not a tip, sometimes u can see how players play and how they react to your re-raise)

P

Pokerqueen78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no way to know for sure. There are things you can look for that can help you be able to recognize a bluff however. Watch for trends in a persons play. Are they constantly betting when they have raised preflop? Watch there mannerisms as well...as you play more and more you will notice these things.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A HUD can help you examine their frequency of bets and patterns hard to be 100% correct either way but helps narrow their range

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok stupid question....

what is A HUD?and how does it work,and what does t tell you,and is there A HUD,that works even if your a computer idiot?now explain all that please:cool:

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not believe there is a primer to teach all about the bluff.
You have to demonstrate that you have a good game, whether or not you should pay to see.
The bluff sometimes fails.
Always be prepared for this.

Good luck!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just gotta decide on a hand by hand basis. Good players will not make it obvious.

Take notes on players. Pay attn to their patterns. Consider board texture and action before hand. What is your table image. What is your hand history with villain?

Many many things to store in the back of your mind.

When in doubt, consider your pot odds.

At micros people aren't really bluffing all that much.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself this simple question.
How do I know if someone is lying to me in my everyday normal life?

Most of the time, you will have very little information to go by, well it is basically the same in poker on a large percentage of the time.

I am not stating that it is impossible to find certain traits someone may have while trying to lie/bluff, but they simply are not easy to spot and there is no way to know 100% unless you are willing to play out to the river.

There are many books and articles on this subject, go and have a look.

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to find out is to follow how he played before,this can give you information about his style of play, although the risk always exists

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In online poker it's difficult to define bluff. In general, I can say that it's best to determine bluff using math and analysis of the opponent's behavior. It's also good to use HUD.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff is the best card in poker. It would be good if I first read a bluffing player. After me, the one who is caught once bluffs, and continues to do this, does not have much life in a tournament. :)

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you only partly because I myself can do it during the game once or twice depending on who I play with it is difficult to calculate mathematically

M

mico595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play against such players, I'm waiting for a good hand and put it in place

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not exactly so. One day I had pocket AA.Opponent went all-in.I called him.He had A4, on the board he got straight. And I left the tournament

H

hochido

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing

I like to look at bet sizing, as well as previous showdowns to gauge my opponents

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to watch the tendencies of your opponents. Then see if they have been aggressive at all and think to yourself if he/she would make a move like this or not. Depending on the situation and follow your gut feeling.

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Every player in poker wants to become a proffesional.Players often bluff.When the player is bluffing,his is bets are offen very big on flop,turn and river.I have read this in the book. But how can I know if he really is bluffing?:icon_joke Everything depends on cards on the board. If they are below 10, like 2 5 9 but the player is continueing betting all this time then we can say he was bluffing:burnout:But if the board is Q J A and he is betting then we can say that the situation is a bit difficult cause the opponent can have a lot of draw-hands:eek: and it's time to pass if not only you have quite a descent hand.

I have 2 ways of telling if someone is bluffing. ;)
I have a one positive way of knowing if anyone is bluffing. :cool:
And I have one fairly positive way of knowing if anyone is bluffing. :rolleyes:

The positive way is this one........:deal:

I look across the table at them, I take out my cell phone, I take a picture of them, THEN.....
I look deep into their eyes, real intent, real hard, real serious, with a scowl on my face, and I tell them......:stupido2:

I am going to call this to the River......
and if you are bluffing ....
I am going to send this picture to my 3 men outside now. :top:
Then I am going to call this hand to the river. :y:
Then I am going to find out if you are bluffing. :D
Then if you are bluffing, I am going to CALL my 3 men outside on this phone and tell them to wait by the door for you when you leave, to have the car there, with the door open.:call2:

And you are NOT going to like what they are going to do to you. :damnmate:
That works almost every single time.

NOW...
The 2nd way, the fairly positive way I know if someone is bluffing is....
just playing many, many, many hands of poker and watching people when I play.

I would suggest you use the second way. :D

Good luck on the tables.:cool:

Last edited: