How to handle a 3-bet

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hiho,

I am not sure how I have to handle 3-bets preflop. I am not sure if I have to call it the most times or not.
For example I am UTG and have AK, when I get a 3-bet I am happy and call it.
But if I play some hands which are just on the border of my range, should I call it? Because when I decide this hand is in my range on this position I should also call a 3-bet?
You know what I mean?

Greetings
Bhuelse

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah ask yourself how the hand will play out post flop. If you got a dominated hand like KJ KQ AJ A10 or there combinations I would fold it because their is only marginal value and it is better to cut your loses instead of wondering if your Top pair is in a kicker trap or if you are in an overpair trap.

To answer your question if you are OOP then fold if IP against most opponets calls unless the 3 bet is big pocket pair alert.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a couple of hands like AA and KK where I would 4 bet, things like AK, AQ, JJ, TT I would possibly call. If you hold an ace but your other card is quite low, I would consider folding as you could be dominated. And as the above says, position also plays a factor - if you are on the button, you can call with a slightly larger range.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many variables.

1) How often does the 3bettor 3bet vs you?
2) How aggressive do they play post-Flop?
3) Are you In Position or OOP?
4) How likely are they to fold to a 4bet?
5) How aggressive/Passive do they play In 4bet pots?
6) Are they loose passive? Tag? Nit? Lag? As each of these types of players 3betting ranges differ and as such, you need to be able to understand what a 3bet from each of these types of players really mean?
7) What Is your holding?

Their are many other things to consider but without being able to answer these than how are we able to help you out?

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many variables.

1) How often does the 3bettor 3bet vs you?
2) How aggressive do they play post-Flop?
3) Are you In Position or OOP?
4) How likely are they to fold to a 4bet?
5) How aggressive/Passive do they play In 4bet pots?
6) Are they loose passive? Tag? Nit? Lag? As each of these types of players 3betting ranges differ and as such, you need to be able to understand what a 3bet from each of these types of players really mean?
7) What Is your holding?

Their are many other things to consider but without being able to answer these than how are we able to help you out?
This is absolutely right, there are so many variables. The best thing to do is to react to how your opponents playing. If you miss your hand can you steal? Would a 4bet scare them off? There's not one answer to this question

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just look at the villans stats, but I will caution you that 3bet stats take a long time to converge(you need lots of hands to have a meaningful sample). You can always 4b shove KK, and if they 3b 3% you can shove QQ, if they 3b 6.5% you can shove JJ, and if they 3b 13% you can shove AJs etc.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on how your opponents play their hands and your odds on winning the hand.most of the time you get 3bet against good players means they hit a set or have extremely strong draws to the nuts so you'll have to count your outs and determine whether or not it's beneficial to continue or wait for another hand! The less players you're facing on the board the better so playing aggressively pre-flop with a good hand will eliminate a range of hands if the flop is under 10 and you should know how to proceed when you hit or miss on the flop when the action comes to you!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands