How to fold....?

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all! It's been awhile since my last post, but I'm back!

Any advice about folding great hands after your opponents are showing strength? For example, you're holding hands like QQ-AA or maybe even AKs. You hit the flop decently (like, holding KK with a flop of 7-9-10 rainbow, just as an example).

Your opponent shows strength....re-raising your c-bets, a solid value bet, etc. They could be on a draw, they could have already made a straight, or whatever...you know what I mean.

How easy is it for any player to get away from these monster hands that are still looking pretty good post-flop? How do you escape the chronic paranoia feeling (oh, well, I'm holding KK, so he must be trying to bluff me off of this pot).

Thanks everyone! Any insight is appreciated.

A

AckLakCak3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There isn't enough information here to give you a reasonable answer. How many players in the hand? Pre flop action? Etc. Betting on earlier stages tells you a lot about what you need to know.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good ideas. Usually 1-2 other opponents, betting on earlier stages is typical (such as, a call to a raise, or even a call to my 3-bet with the monster hand, etc.). But you did give me some insight....paying attention to the betting on earlier stages.

To add to that, I think if you know the villian a bit better, you can put him on a range of hands pre-flop. E.g., if he is raising standard amounts preflop, what types of hands does he usually do that with? Sometimes though, you don't have that info.

I guess in general, I am finding it hard to let go of monster hands. I need to learn a few examples of when a fold would be warrented. But you are right AckLakCak3, it is very situational.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a vacuum state. (We have no stats/reads on villain)
---

It depends on the positions first of all. Are we raising AA/KK UTG? What position is villain calling from? BTN/SB/BB?

If you have KK on a T9J rainbow flop, you bet and get raised. Raised by how much? Is villain trying to play for stacks?

Remember the saying don't go broke with only one pair. (In this case an overpair) Now that you got raised you need to start narrowing villain's range down: 99-JJ, T9(s), J9(s), JT(s) KQ(s), 78(s). However noted that we block two Kings from the deck so KQ(s) can be less likely.

Start counting all the possible combos of hands that have you beat. You have to start visualizing Villain's value range and bluff ranges.

Put yourself in Villain's shoes. It also helps if you're in position. If you get raised by villain who's in the SB/BB you may call a small raise and evaluate the turn. If villain starts betting huge amounts OTT & OTR it's most likely time to hit that fold button. No point of paying off villain's 2 pair or higher with our overpair.

It's all about evaluating hand ranges and possible value combinations that villain may have based off the board and our perceived range (You having the overpair).

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get caught in this all the time, and I find it very hard to fold. I keep telling myself that he is on a draw or has high card on board paired. I try to play cautiously, but my opponent usually smells weakness and bets larger.

Folding in Poker