How does this bad of luck keep happening?

J

joeyvegasboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

So this is a bit of a rant which no one like myself enjoys hearing but I seriously am in need of some advice here.

I got into poker last fall and was a losing player as I was learning the game mostly pretty much until the last couple months when I was able to turn a $10 deposit online into $220.

I finally was starting to think wow maybe I am actually figuring things out and becoming a better player, but this was very short lasted as this past month has been brutal bad beat after another.

I seriously can't believe how many times now I have been all in and in the lead but lose, sometimes in a seriously bad way like runner runner, playing tourneys early stages and people are quite loose and I raise up with AK get a call 3 way to flop player pushes on an AJbrick board and I call and he turns over a set of jacks, losing to higher flushes, losing with aces, trips running into someones full house. I seriously can not believe how bad it has been and now I lost $80 of that $220 I made.

It is seriously frustrating, I know poker is a game of skill but is luck really this much more of a factor than I previously thought? Its like all my value hands lately have become my biggest leaks!!! How are you to play then? Any advice? I am really on the urge of quitting even though it is fun and an activity I enjoy to make money but lately I just can't imagine how this is profitable in the long run given the time it takes.

Looking for advice. Thanks.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

So this is a bit of a rant which no one like myself enjoys hearing but I seriously am in need of some advice here.

I got into poker last fall and was a losing player as I was learning the game mostly pretty much until the last couple months when I was able to turn a $10 deposit online into $220.

I finally was starting to think wow maybe I am actually figuring things out and becoming a better player, but this was very short lasted as this past month has been brutal bad beat after another.

I seriously can't believe how many times now I have been all in and in the lead but lose, sometimes in a seriously bad way like runner runner, playing tourneys early stages and people are quite loose and I raise up with AK get a call 3 way to flop player pushes on an AJbrick board and I call and he turns over a set of jacks, losing to higher flushes, losing with aces, trips running into someones full house. I seriously can not believe how bad it has been and now I lost $80 of that $220 I made.

It is seriously frustrating, I know poker is a game of skill but is luck really this much more of a factor than I previously thought? Its like all my value hands lately have become my biggest leaks!!! How are you to play then? Any advice? I am really on the urge of quitting even though it is fun and an activity I enjoy to make money but lately I just can't imagine how this is profitable in the long run given the time it takes.

there is nothing to worry about. poker is a series of take-off and fall. humble yourself. change something in your game, try new ways to play hands. Their own mistakes sorted out.
most importantly, do not panic.
this is a common phenomenon in poker and it is experienced by all even professionals.
Believe in yourself and everything will become better.

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to take a break for one complete week for the bad beats go away.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were able to rise from 10 to 220, and at the same time they were raised not by one successful game, which brought you 300 bucks at once, but step by step, then you are doing everything right. You have to learn patience. Poker is a dispersive game. Tournament poker is an even more dispersive game, because you have to win a few hands to just get to your money. And more hands - to get good money on the final table.
You need to learn patience. Do not fall into tilt, and keep playing as it should.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about odds and probability. If you play the right way you will 100% be in profit. Over a longer period of time you will win much more then you ve lost. Believe me. This game has a lot of luck in it, but much more is skill. For example, if you go all in with AA against KK you will win 80% of the time. And if you already lost 2 times in that situation, with basic math you can roughly calculate that in longer period of time, you will come closely to that 80%. So next 100 times you come to that situation, you will overall win much more than you will lose, like 75-25.

P

ps_komaklos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you. Sometimes it really sucks. But at the same time, thats whats make the challenge, no? If i get annoyed i have to take a break for a while.

Tips:
1)
Just worry if your decision was correct, if it was (it still sucks but) you made the right play and the rest is not in your hands.

2)
Sounds to me like the bigger problem is having a proper BRM. So that can't happen again.

I could also post some of your hands in which your where struggling, that could be interesting to discuss.

GL anyway,
cheers

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimism is the faith that leads achievement.Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break for a week or two to clear your head - it's not worth playing if you are not enjoying it. There is a lot of variance in poker and statistically speaking, you will run into times when you get one bad beat over the long run. However, if you stick to good strategies, in the long run you should finish ahead.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good result in poker from $ 10 to$ 220 congratulations on this achievement means you know how to play just do not forget poker is a game of luck and a little skill . I will advise you to try for example a tournament with a small cost to try first and then more expensive if you have a normal game was because there is just the poker room itself does not give you the opportunity to win . personally for me it lasted for almost half a year on one of the poker rooms . I wish you good luck

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi all,

Did you ever consider that when you went from $10 to $220 that this was also due to 'variance'? ... or did you just think it was that easy? I mean how could you just start playing and be better than all the others? 9mos. of play isn't very long at all.
Also, just from some of the 'beats'(?) you're describing, these don't even sound bad at all (ie. AK on a AJX flop & losing to a set of Jacks.... did you think they only held AQ there? .. you're only beating AQ, AT... would they be playing back (or calling off) in that particular hand vs. you?)

Becoming a winning player also means learning to accept variance and then learning to embrace it and to realize how much of a great thing it really is (ie. weak/bad players wouldn't keep playing if they weren't winning some of the time ie. winning $220 from a $10 deposit ;) If the better players won 100% of the time, what do you think would happen to the games? (hint, it's already happening to the games but it'd be much worse if poker was set up differently).

Advise? << this is what you were asking for in your original post
Not sure what you are looking for as far as advice goes? I mean some of the answers here (take a break for a week) aren't going to change anything at all.
Accept & embrace variance
use proper BRM
study, play & review... study, play, review... study, play, review

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
good result in poker from $ 10 to$ 220 congratulations on this achievement means you know how to play just do not forget poker is a game of luck and a little skill . I will advise you to try for example a tournament with a small cost to try first and then more expensive if you have a normal game was because there is just the poker room itself does not give you the opportunity to win . personally for me it lasted for almost half a year on one of the poker rooms . I wish you good luck

I'm trying to figure out what you're actually saying here.
My take is:
you're saying OP knows how to play because they won $220 from $10.. BUT in the very same sentence you are suggesting that poker is a game of luck and a little skill. If that's the case then perhaps OP is a terrible player and just got lucky? (if only a 'little' skill is involved in the game)

Then you suggest they play a small buyin tourney to see if you have a 'normal game' (< I'm guessing 'normal' means one that isn't experiencing badbeats?)
Then if you have a 'normal game' you should try a more expensive game to see if the poker site is giving you the oppurtunity to win (sometimes they don't give you this opportunity for 6 months).

So are you saying it is just up to the poker site to decide if you are going to win or not? What about skill and knowing how to play the game? Does this not have any bearing on the outcome?

I read about players who are cashing frequently in the HighRoller tournaments... are those guys just luckier than the others? I also follow a leaderboard for online tournament players and you see the same names there sitting in the top10 for long periods of time. Are they the chosen ones? Or have they just been given the oppurtunity to win if they also play well.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You have to take a break for one complete week for the bad beats go away.

So then if I want to win I should just keep taking a week off repeatedly? OR do I wait until I'm losing, then take a week off so I can come back & win after that? If I take 6 days off will the badbeats continue? (what if waiting a full 7 days doesn't correspond with my work schedule and what if I REALLY want to play on the 6th day after taking a full 5days off? Will I be in line to at least get some wins from doing this.. or do I need to wait for the FULL 7 days? (I suppose I could ask my boss to change up my schedule so I can work maybe 7days on, 3days off or something but the shop isn't even open on Sundays so I'm not sure how I'll be able to get this worked out :( )

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So then if I want to win I should just keep taking a week off repeatedly? OR do I wait until I'm losing, then take a week off so I can come back & win after that? If I take 6 days off will the badbeats continue? (what if waiting a full 7 days doesn't correspond with my work schedule and what if I REALLY want to play on the 6th day after taking a full 5days off? Will I be in line to at least get some wins from doing this.. or do I need to wait for the FULL 7 days? (I suppose I could ask my boss to change up my schedule so I can work maybe 7days on, 3days off or something but the shop isn't even open on Sundays so I'm not sure how I'll be able to get this worked out :( )
And just imagine your badbeat would have been over after 3 days off and your lucky streak started for 3 days and you didn't play!!! And after these 3 days a ten day badbeat would start again. You would be sitting there counting days instead of odds and outs.
But seriously, In case the pokersite would really arrange sth. like...oh, he has won a lot, we have to make him loose a bit... the only way would be to set players on a black list (lose) and others on a white list (win). I can tell you from my last 2 weeks, ALL my opponents are on the white list. They get flush after flush, I get suited connectors every 2nd hand and 2 of my suit on the flop a lot of times. If not, there will be 3 other suits and my (whitelisted) opponent gets the flush with 95o. I have to chase more than hundreds flushes, to see the one completed running into a fh:fight:I will not give up!!! I accept a whole year of bad luck, if in change the one important tournament runs to my favor.
But in general, the pokersites are not to blame, it's more the funny players, that shouldn't be in the pot from the beginning...

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't think the point of that response was for you to be a complete jerk about what he said. I think his point was that sometimes if you're running bad you just need to take a step back and walk away from everything before you get more tilted from the recent hands and start making emotional rather than rational plays.