How do you study Poker

Steve1821

Steve1821

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondered if any of you study away from poker and if you do then how long do you study compared to how long you play poker? And how do you study too? Do you watch training videos by ben-cb or watch twitch or books ect as I strongly believe studying is key to success in poker.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a book by Sky Matsuhashi called How to Study Poker, I'd highly recommend it. It's goes over your questions, and so much more.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can find lots of different information in the web. Lots of videos, also diffrent great books. I knew, that some people also pay for the personal coach.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You are right. Regular training is the key to success in poker.
I usually watch a video and read books. But the main thing in my opinion is the improvement of skills during the game.

Artishell

Artishell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice, practice and practice again.

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I study poker, is from my mistakes ! still make mistakes to this day, never stop learning in this game. yeah you can read books and get coaching.but I see it as "in this game, POKER , you cant spot that fish at the table you are the fish.

hands from last week, I lost money on , I keep reviewing in my head , it never stops. just study your plays. that's the best advice I can give you.

I look at these books these pros yeah yeah they wiinning players, but How did they get there, ? studying themselves , learning from their mistakes.

If your playing poker you the game already.
ITS YOU you have to study. ITS HOW YOU PLAY IT.
no book or coaching will change who you are imo.

when you have hands from 2 weeks ago still playin in your head , then you will know what im talkin about

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Just wondered if any of you study away from poker and if you do then how long do you study compared to how long you play poker? And how do you study too? Do you watch training videos by ben-cb or watch twitch or books ect as I strongly believe studying is key to success in poker.

Mostly I try to learn from my mistakes! I also find in CardsChat a very useful piece of material about the poker sphere.

:)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I prefer to watch videos

L_E_U

L_E_U

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently I binge-watch poker games on youtube and twitch. The video, however, must have commentary or is being made with the purpose of teaching. I helps when the player explains what's going on in their head and why they made a certain decision.
Since not everyone is a teacher, usually their "teaching" styles are not very effective, so soon I'll try to find a few books and see if that helps any too. If I find anything I'll make sure to come back.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read and master some books is a good thing

Bambini7777

Bambini7777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch streams, read books, every day a little

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I was playing/studying at about a 70/30 ratio. This is about 50/50 right now as I am short on time in the evenings at the moment so I spend a bit more time studying those nights I don't have a lot of free time.

I read a few books at first to get terminology and to reinforce some basic strategy. Now it is a few blogs and a lot of videos on Youtube. Reviewing hands is something I am doing a lot more of also now. I do watch a little bit on Twitch. Mostly people that explain their plays and also take time to interact with chat and answer questions.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
There are a lot of good youtube videos now. Raiseyouredge channel is really good for beginners.

C

chazmahal10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
studying poker

I truly believe that the best way to study the game is playing it. Calculating your moves and results and altering your game. That way of learning requires playing more micro stakes at first. I have read a few books, which have helped understand a lot of position play and other tools of the game but playing is definitely best for me.