How do you read open shoves from big stacks?

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have a middling stack in the BB with a strong hand like 99 and someone with a bigger stack shoves preflop. How do you tend to read this? Does it imply a lot of strength like QQ+? Or maybe a hand like 88 or AQ that is very strong but they don't feel like seeing a flop just to end up folding. I think you can interpret it either way, so I'm wondering what others think.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would love to hear an answer also, if there exist one. I believe shoving preflop can be anything really. Unless someone does it repeatedly or there is a strong indication he is playing poor. But even if the big stack is a very loose player it doesnt mean that this time he didnt hit a nice premium pair.

To give you an answer, it depends. Big stacks tend to not risk everything and play tight. But I will take account from where does big stack shove, if it utg or button, if utg does he covers everyone on the table? Or is he risking getting called by an other big stack and lose it all? If he shove on the button how big is the pot already and what actions were played before the shove? Is he shoving in the money or on the bubble? But to be honest a strong pair or a premium hand is always shovable, so if you hold nines and thinking of calling you are still flipping. Does the big stack moves all in with 72 I dont think so, does he move all in with aces and risk getting no action? It depends on the table but most of the time I put them in a medium hand, not a complete bluff nor monster hand unless seen otherwise.

Last edited:
supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I'm interested in hearing that also, it seems like its either pot bets on evry street , or constent all ins. And i feel like I'm guessing sometimes when making my call or folding.
Makes the game a lot harder, When i play live it doesn't seem like evry bets so much compared to online, any one have any thoughts on that too

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just like asking how heavy is a bag of bricks.....

Whats the situation ?
How close to the bubble are you ?
How early in tournament?
Whats are you holding?
Whats there opening %?
could go on and on please

IF you are talking in general I guess I would have to say weak.....

The main concession online is that if you wanted to be called bet small.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In most cases(raise,bet,all-in), from 4 BB(depends of a player) upwards, that means your opponent has a strong hand (pair).

Last edited: