DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Despite being 70% versus 30% against Ace's smaller ones I see many people isolating or going all in at the beginning. I think the ideal is a 3bet in position and flat call out of position. Bad Beats happen, I believe that this way greatly reduces the variance.

How do you play?

T

tuka123

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the impression you have put the villain specifically in a weaker ace, when people can actually open raise/cold call a 3bet with a wider range, including low and mid pairs, most of the suited with faces and of course big pairs. So I don't think you are reducing variance by playing in this way.

I usually flat call (a raise) in or out of position looking for a cheap flop and to keep the pot under control. I don't like 3bet AKs since this would cost a sizeable portion of my stack and put me in a tricky flop in which in most part of the time I would be counting with fold equity only.

Take this example into consideration:

The initial stack is 1500, bb in 20, someone open for 60 from utg got 1 caller from mp, you make it 180 from Bu with AKs, everyone folds to the initial raiser that calls followed by mp.

The pot is now 180x3+10+20= 570

The flop comes 9hQs7c.

Both players check to you.

What would you do?

Note that by 3betting you just managed to make your job of cbet much more costful.You have expended 180 in the 3bet and now you have1320 in your stack. If you want to make a usual cbet of half pot you will have to expend 285, thus making your stack 1035. And if someone calls your cbet and the turn is a blank, you will find yourself short stacked just on the early stage of the tournament. Or you can assume your AKs is still the best hand and fire a 2nd barrel. Well, if you are right then good -- you will double up if one they call; but if you are wrong, then it is bye bye tournament. My thought: people (usually) don't call a 3bet with air.
SGN is not like cash where the possibility of replenishing allow you be creative: I consider a very bad move 3bet AKs in position by default.

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i notice that my opponents likes to call all in with A9+ i would probbly jam to 3x or 4x open in this format of sng.If im the one opening then 3x open and cbet if im against 1 or 2 opponents,if im really short stacked then jam preflop no matter what..But still it all depands on situation,stack,position,players left etc...There are a lot of ways depending on that to play AK

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have the impression you have put the villain specifically in a weaker ace, when people can actually open raise/cold call a 3bet with a wider range, including low and mid pairs, most of the suited with faces and of course big pairs. So I don't think you are reducing variance by playing in this way.

I usually flat call (a raise) in or out of position looking for a cheap flop and to keep the pot under control. I don't like 3bet AKs since this would cost a sizeable portion of my stack and put me in a tricky flop in which in most part of the time I would be counting with fold equity only.

Take this example into consideration:

The initial stack is 1500, bb in 20, someone open for 60 from utg got 1 caller from mp, you make it 180 from Bu with AKs, everyone folds to the initial raiser that calls followed by mp.

The pot is now 180x3+10+20= 570

The flop comes 9hQs7c.

Both players check to you.

What would you do?

Note that by 3betting you just managed to make your job of cbet much more costful.You have expended 180 in the 3bet and now you have1320 in your stack. If you want to make a usual cbet of half pot you will have to expend 285, thus making your stack 1035. And if someone calls your cbet and the turn is a blank, you will find yourself short stacked just on the early stage of the tournament. Or you can assume your AKs is still the best hand and fire a 2nd barrel. Well, if you are right then good -- you will double up if one they call; but if you are wrong, then it is bye bye tournament. My thought: people (usually) don't call a 3bet with air.
SGN is not like cash where the possibility of replenishing allow you be creative: I consider a very bad move 3bet AKs in position by default.

This situation illustrates what I say. As it starts you have to avoid bluff max.
In that case I would check and see the turn. If we hit something would make a C-Bet delay.
Only value.
With Check in the Flop the villains will put in their range JJ- or even QQ forming a triple. The chance to see even a free river is too big.
That way you will not spend more than 180 chips if you do not hit anything. 15% of the stack. In the long run without doubt this play is very lucrative.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If i notice that my opponents likes to call all in with A9+ i would probbly jam to 3x or 4x open in this format of sng.If im the one opening then 3x open and cbet if im against 1 or 2 opponents,if im really short stacked then jam preflop no matter what..But still it all depands on situation,stack,position,players left etc...There are a lot of ways depending on that to play AK

Yes, Short stacked there is not much to do. But for that I go all in pre I need to have in min 14 BB. 15BB + I would reduce the variance.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always increasing preflop and when we do not hit the flop with some frequency we will make a continuation bet. If we hit the flop we can follow the bet line by value or check to induce the village to bluff

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise 3bb, raise all in if got reraised. double or die.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on who your playing always and do you know their skill level?

Big stack maybe limp in see if I can get a masoooove pot going. you're not guaranteed to hit or even win the hand so playing all in poker is wrong. you're putting your game at risk for 2 cards.

Raise against strong players always as they respect the bet, 9 man SG people still call with Q7 Q6 K5 so your the one about to get sucked out when you miss for raising x3 x4

Mix it up always best, you want a caller when your strong and not when you miss lol :bath:

L

luckybest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this because although ak is a good starting hand there's too many odds of losing by going all in

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I increase 2x o the big blind and when i'm short i bet everything.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Different stages and opponents I will play it differently.

Early in the SNG and I open the action I will 3x the blind and play cautiously even when hitting and A or K. If I hit hard on the flop then I will try to move a little faster to stack off opponents. The reason I am cautious early is because with the smaller blinds people will be in pot with alot of hands that make 2 pair on the flop. If its raised to me I will generally look to get it in unless I have alot of hands against a player and they are very nitty, then I can even think to fold AK but that is rare.

Late stages of the SNG I will just move all in if I'm below 20 blinds when a big stack is in the blinds. If I am the big stack I just 2 to 2.5x the blind. I will re-raise any raise to put them in if I'm big stack.