How do you overcome the gambling feeling?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an above average amateur player in my opinion. When I'm disciplined and playing well I can place somewhat consistently. However, I have one big problem. After I've been playing well in a tournament, I start getting the urge to gamble. I start chasing draws, bluffing, and calling what I think are bluffs way too often. I just wanna gamble and have fun and before I know it my mid-range stack is a felt.

Any ideas on how to overcome the urge to gamble? That one thing is what's holding my game back.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's your decision!
Ask my friends at the FT in CC freerolls:)Everybody has to cap at a moment in the game, isn't it?
Too many chips? low on chips? Angry anyway? Bored of TAg's? or LAG's not lagging?
Look around and take a spot where you are RIGHT at that moment. Is it worth risking your stack, that you GAINED in three hours? Who are you tempting to give it to? and why are you playing anyway, if you don't wanna make it to the end?
Maybe you are just the poker god that we all have been waiting for since ever, when you're running hot???

Last edited:
vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D:D:D

Attachments

• vina.jpg
    vina.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 28
B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do yo have ever tried meditation? It helps you o keep yourself concentrate.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Maybe it helps you to start making notes on other players during the game. Take the time for analyzing more.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's called "tilting" and it means you should probably stop playing for the day.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any ideas on how to overcome the urge to gamble? That one thing is what's holding my game back.

That problem is only in your mental game. At least you know what your problem is so it's much more easier to fix than some unknown problem. Someone suggested mediation and that might actually help in my opinion as well. Or maybe take a short break, walk, stretch, drink water etc. or anything that gives your game a small change in opposite of just sitting and playing.

Another thing you can try is just to focus on being disciplined. Simple as that. Keep focusing on every single hand and repeatedly tell yourself not to do anything crazy. Play one hand at a time and really focus so that you would be able to keep your head cool in every situation. Think about all the times you have failed and how that has affected your game, and just decide to take the other route (winning route) this time. It shouldn't take long for you to see actual results by doing so. I know it's easy to say but harder to achieve something like "just be disciplined" but that really worked for me. Quite simple solution actually that can revolutionize your whole game. Good luck!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
poker is one of the few games where running with your head cut off is not helpful. I feel if you can balance yourself on a bicycle without your feet touching the ground, you will have learned what you are seeking.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not struggle with this but I do it in a situation that does not threaten me to lose everythingalmost always to reach the top - you need a little insanity

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling