How do you makes the right decision quickly?

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you use 'poker odds' effectively? How do you makes it easy to make the right decision quickly?

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be honest I dont actually 'calculate' exactly how many odds and outs I have....but I just look and see and think of how many....I have 10-9 flop comes A87....i could count up how many but it would take awhile...i just would know i have open ended straight....any J or 6....so 4 J's 4 6's...so right there i have 8 right away i could count....next card is K....not looking good....depends how much opponent bets whether I try for river or not...pot is 1000...he bets 1000...i fold....IDK...I guess you could say I dont really rely on the odds and calculate whatever they teach for online poker because it seems like the cards on here are not real....if my 10-9 was suited with the 8-7 suited...i have straight flush draw....but i can bet you 9 out of 10 times the people in the hand with the least amount of odds always be winning...just my opinion....I have been beat by turn and river cards so much when I flop the nuts its insane...then again it seems like games of bingo sometimes instead of poker....the all-ins i've seen on here you'll hardly ever see in real life....and the bets are sometimes bluffs but will 4 bet a bluff...poker is a gamble and luck game....just my opinion....

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry....I believe its luck...but I'm not saying there isn't any type of skill or strategy used...ofc you need some type of strategy and skill....but alot as far as how the cards fall is luck....why people use HUD to keep track of players...knowing who they could 4 bet and get to fold without a pair on the board....but in my opinion i look at that as a form of cheating....you cant sit there with a notepad at the table in real life can you? i've bluffed more hands then I have caught online...is why I say my opinion is it's luck...can I get you to fold your 2 pairs if I can 4 bet and make it look like i have flush without even having one pair? let's look at my notes...lol....anyways gl...

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually I do not cling so much to the calculation of odds calculations but I calculate more or less if I should pay or not, in general if it's a big pot worth just winning and throwing your profit expectation up

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way to calculate odds on the fly is to immerse yourself in the game. Read articles, be familiar with probability tables, and save copies of your interesting hand histories. The more “work” you do on studying on the side, away from the tables, the more intuitive all of it becomes. Of course it’s all luck - that’s what probability measures, and knowing probability inside and out will increase the times when you get “lucky”. Interesting: it may also increase the amount of times you get “unlucky” as you call more often when you are ahead, and then a card spikes.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't calculate the odds but my husband does for sure. We both cash in tournaments.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you use 'poker odds' effectively? How do you makes it easy to make the right decision quickly?

Pot odds is very important if you want to be a profitable cash game player.
- you always want to get pot odds or better
- you always want to deny your opponent(s) correct pot odds - unless you have an unbeatable hand

Pot odds is not very important if you are a recreational player with a job - and while winning is fun...it is less important.

To me pot odds are less important in a tournament. But, what kind of message is your opponent sending you about his bet size? Is he protecting something or is he just trying to
bet you out of the pot ?

Speed will come with practice. When you can start calculating the pot - your odds - and your plan of action - all in your sleep - then you will know if you are "fast" enough.

Good luck !

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play and practice making the right decision the more second nature it will become.

Study away from the table and practice while slowly incorporating the things you learn.

Review hands after sessions to see if you are making the right play the majority of the time.

You'll be playing better and winning in no time.

Good luck! :D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Like anything else, it"s just how much practice you do. I just use each card is worth two percent as my shortcut for example.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gaming experience of course!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php

I think part 6 [the rule of 4 and 2]is a good start in order to calculate quick your pot odds.
Also is very important to know when a call is profitable or not.This es a detail where in the longterm will benefit you as a player. Take a look it is a very useful article!!

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Ps I don´t calculate... no use because it never works even! hahaha

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I estimate and then go with my gut.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's in the blood! Once you understood how it works, you can ballpark with the 4/2 rule, but it is only really necessary in cashgames if you are planning to play 2 or 3 lifetimes. In tournament it is more important to ask yourself whether you want to go home or if you want to stay in the tournament. Or what does the call / fold do to my ICM.
In general you see your cards, the board, and the behaviour of your opponent. You have an open ended straight-flush draw? Bet your house and sleep under the bridge! You have good chances, but there's a chance the pokersite gives you the (probably) monster just and only to bet your house, because they like to see ppl sleeping under the bridge.
Many times your opponent has two cards of the same suit and ooops, all the odds and outs are not really mathematics. They are only a way to explain how poker works. In general you should not bet on cards that are about to come, rather on hands you've already made.
9 ppl at the table 7folds: 14 cards are out of the game, that's around 25% of all reamining cards, but in all calculations/expectations they assume the cards we need are still in the deck???? Well, let's ask Adam Riese.... He is laughing like crazy!!!:icon_flow:eek:

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
decision quickly

and difficult to make quick decisions but we used to it actually playing as game much on line I can see when I play a game calculating pot odds and implied odds and more EV but will times when we play with optimism human factor why poker is fantastic 'cause there are a lot of different situations to make decisions and you do not always take the right decisions lose playing wrong a few times and also get playing wrong but I believe in correct play and technique to eliminate the luck factor
:jd4:mateuspoker

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually takes a small amount of time, but, if low odds quick decision.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to make the best decision is very difficult to explain friend, unlike what colleagues say that do not calculate probabilities I tell you that poker is based on the calculation of probabilities, and that calculation when you are in favor of betting. There is a lot of material on the internet and in this forum that can help you, that cardschat has a odd calculator to facilitate it, with time and experience the calculations can be read as a letter. And the decisions will depend on the environment. These days in the forum there are several discussions on how to play AA, since the odds are given as the best hand, however it has made many players lose

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
to take a quick and good decision ... it is important to have practice in the calculation of your odds and outs ... if you practice it you will see that it is not so difficult to perform these calculations mentally ... of course apart from this it is important to pay attention to the way your opponents play ... it seems like a lot of things to consider in such a short time to decide ... but that's the big difference between the great players and the rest ...!

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on how I'm feeling in that exactly moment.I generally try to count the odds and if I have 30% or 50% chances I call.

Last edited:
mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Learn and memorize (ie it should be subconscious and automatic) your chances based on out count and villains' assumed out count. Know where you may be going before you get there. If you are out of position, know what you are going to do based on what card comes. If you are in position, know how you are going to react to villains' actions based on what card comes. It is very simple, as well as very, very difficult to get right.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you play and study and apply your learning to the game, the quicker you will make correct decisions. It will become somewhat automatic.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good quick decisions are acquired by learning and experience.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of memorization and practice.