How do you know when to stop

Goku55

Goku55

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been playing poker since I was 8 and recently I turned 21 so poker has been my life since. I have problems with bankroll management. I’m fortunate enough to have a good job but are there any tricks you guys use when you’re feeling down and that need to crawl your way out of a hole. Especially on an action game like 2/5 PLO.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Have No Tricks To Offer, sorry...

I am a recreational player, so take my advice with a grain of salt (but I have been playing longer than you, lol)! I enjoy the game, and primarily play for entertainment, but I am competitive and want to win! I enjoy playing freerolls and small money games. It does not really matter to me if I win $0.25, $2.25 or $22.50 or $225.00, in terms of my level of satisfaction. But, I do want to keep my bankroll intact (which I define as my deposit).

I think you answered your own question, it is likely an issue with more discipline needed in terms of bankroll management. While I am not an expert on the topic, I would recommend studying up on this topic and sticking to it if you have bigger aspirations. I like that you say that you have a good job, this affords you some time to study, and play, and learn... and gradually increase your bankroll and increase the $ games you play as results warrant.

Bottom Line - If there is anything negative going on in your mind, probably not a good time to play poker. If you are on a significant loss run (relative to your bankroll), time to take a break, just do something else, get some sleep, do a little studying and come back refreshed and confident.

Best of Luck Goku55 and All at The Tables,

CheezeWiz

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best thing is to take a break. 30mins for something small, 1 week for something huge :p
Only play your A game.
Play/study to get better, not to win money. Then the money will then follow.
Some would argue (including me) that BRM is 1 of, if not THE most important skill you need in poker. Mainly because it's so easy to tilt and blow your whole bankroll.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been playing poker since I was 8 and recently I turned 21 so poker has been my life since. I have problems with bankroll management. I’m fortunate enough to have a good job but are there any tricks you guys use when you’re feeling down and that need to crawl your way out of a hole. Especially on an action game like 2/5 PLO.
Good to hear you have a good job,
I too have an ok job currently but my rule for the year is once I lose 10% of annual earnings which is disposable no more deposits no matter how tempting it is to put another big deposit on and chase normally just rake paying losses in whatever game you are playing.
It is hard mentally and humbling to accept defeat move down to freerolls and micros after being playing $50, $109 or $250 buy in games all year including the odd $500 buy in shot,
When tempted to put another 10% on I responsibly block myself from depositing on all sites until the end of year though.
Only put a small percentage of your income on that you do not mind losing to sick coolers,bad beats,variance in the flips and rake.
Do not let this house always wins rake paying game ruin you by putting too much of your earnings on it find your overall bankroll percentage stop loss and stick to it.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn how to play the bankroll. Without this, everything will be bad.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I'm in a bad moment I don't play, I clear my mind by watching prank videos, listening to music etc. Each person has something different to clear the mind, think about it and surely you have something to achieve it, in terms of fund management you should not deposit over and over again, with just one enough and put yourself as a limit not to do it more, in case of losin your bankroll starts with freerolls, enjoy the game and you always have to be constantly learning:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if there is no mood to play, then it is better not to start or stop

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have a very simple and effective rule that always allows me to stop in time. My rule is to never spend more than 5% of my bankroll per day and thanks to this rule, my bankroll grows steadily.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually as soon as I see that luck is not on my side and that I lose even when I don't make any mistakes. I stop playing so as not to suffer a heavy loss in my banckroll.