How do you handle downswings?

BlastErMastEr

BlastErMastEr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I go on a downswing for sometime and it just kills my bankroll everytime. How do you guys handle your downswings? This is One of my biggest problems in poker and would like to get better at handling this problem. Thank You

.:confused::confused:

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Blastermaster,

I feel you. I think all of us have experienced downswings by now - it is normal.
First thing that you need to understand - downswings happen to everybody - even pros like Negreanu. Just go and check youtube videos, there's ton of proof.

Second, you need to be mentally and emotionally stable enough, not to freak out and start playing emotionally, means, in a way you would not normally play.

I just come from such a cash game where i lost against fish - obviously im not happy about it. But there was a moment, where i was so angry and i could have played super aggressively, just to scare them off the game - but i figured that it has no sense, if they have strong hands even total donks dont throw away strong hands.

What i want to say is you need to accept that sometimes variance is against you. Next time, it will be different. Just be stable enough not to snap when the feeling gets you and you feel like loosing very frequently.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am evaluating in recessions to play fewer games, or to stop playing until the streak passes. I mean that streak of online poker in which our cards seem to beat nothing or anyone ... hahaha :D:D:D:jd4:

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I think about my play and think about what went wrong. Get my big boy britches on and give it a whirl afain.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first step to solving a problem...

One thing we poker players do during a downswing(I know I do sometimes)...is I deny it. At times I'll think I can work through it but I'm just fooling myself. The first thing is to realize when you are tilting. I don't know about other players but I will go against all of my guidelines, rules and principles. I have a set of rules in my head...a method if you will. Once I go against it and keep going against it...that's when I'll notice I'm tilting...…...then I STOP! I just...….stop playing, and I tell myself I'll get em tomorrow. Whatever I have left in my bankroll I'll make myself believe subconsciously...that I WON that.....cause let's face it. If I'd tried to work through it instead...…...I'd probably lost that too.

One thing I like to do too...(I think someone else commented on this). I like to go on YouTube and watch Poker Tournament videos where other players have lost MASSIVE amounts of money!:eek: The kind of money you feel like you'd a killed yourself had you lost that much.....and find comfort in the fact that you didn't lose that much.

but yeah.....run away to fight another day.....and make that day.....the NEXT day!:cool:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Have a solid bankroll to begin with. At least 30BI for cash games and 100BI for MTTs.

2) Move down to cut your losses and regain confidence.

3) Consider the possibility you are actually not a winning player in that particular game.

4) Play less and study more.

As for point number 3 its a really obvious one but often ignored. We all like to think, we are winners and "just running bad", but the reality is somewhat different. My largest "downswing" happened, when I started playing cash games on pokerstars 2 years ago. I was playing a mixture of regular tables and Zoom, and at 2NL and 5NL I say profit in all the formats over some relatively small samples.

When I got to 10NL and 16NL, which I played simultaneously, I did really well at 16NL full ring tables. At this point I more or less stopped playing regular 6-max tables. I was however still playing Zoom, and that did not go well. At first I got a bit stubborn about it and wanted to prove to myself, I could beat these games as well. But after around 30k hands I simply gave up.

The truth is, noboby care, if you are beating 10NL Zoom on PokerStars, and if you are doing much better in another game format, then why not focus on that? Follow the path of least resistance and find your "money tree". I am saying this, because a lot of the time, when people claim, they are in a "downswing", they dont actually have any track record to prove, they are long term winners in that particular game, they are playing.

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i played my A game...then they do not bother me, but if i played with a crappy mindstate. Downswings take me where the name suggest down. So how i handle them...well i prevent myself from playing with a crappy mind state

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going on a poker downswing is not an easy time. But the best thing I should do is taking a break from playing. Playing when titled will make you lose more money. After that, I will review my hands, find out why I lost and I will move to a lower stake if my bankroll is not enough to play at the current stake.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when my game fails for one reason or another, I just don't play.

E

El_Matt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Relax and do something else

The best thing one can do is closing the poker App and shutting down your computer. Do something else, such as reading a book or going for a walk. A few days later, you should think about what you might have done wrong. Then, start playing again, and your downswing will hopefully have gone.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my downswing is because i play bad, i take a couple to several days off and accept my mistake and try to minimise bad habit.
If it cause by variance - i continue playing couple more games and stop when it still there. Tomorrow is another day.

Just manage your bankroll wisely.

kuselbroo2

kuselbroo2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't go to the game you don't have to force it because you lose what's on the table. That’s why you often lose because I’m unmotivated after a two-losing party party

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take some time off is the best solution, when you are on a losing streak is more on your head then anything else, clear your mind and after a while just go out and play again. But always believe in yourself.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i look at it as one of those "Life" moments,,,in which there is nothing you can do about it so i don't spend any thought/emotion on it at all. :p

T

Tacticgambler

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i started playing poker i was getting very frustrated losing back to back , negativity never help so now i laugh about it and it just give me more energy to focus on my game and maybe next win

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They're a'comin'

Downswings - UGH!

Statistically, they are unavoidable, because the highs and lows must balance

The key is to refine your play so as to best minimize loses in the downswing

learn when to back off, or drop weak hands earlier
and analyze your play for weakness or emotionality

but basically, you just have to "dog it" -
keep playing till the cards turn in your favor,

Hopefully, and probably, you won't go broke before they do

TC

P

plan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it starts, I change the game (MTT to cash or vice versa) or poker room. If it doesn't help, I just stop playing and think about why this is happening.

S

Schijtlijster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still haven't found a good remedy for it. I always crash. Now that I have no money I cannot crash. What PLAN up here says sounds good to try in the future.

Hopefully I can find a way to deal with it. But first I need to have a bankroll again. That is going to be a tough one.

S

scottish770

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Handling downswings can be pretty rough, watching your bankroll roll down and down, sometimes you just end up not loving the game as much during this period. Sometimes you just need to step away clear your thoughts, step back to the tables and watch AA get crush by a 4 flush, or something to that nature (we all have our faveorite beating, dumb call, horrible fold moments) ...just laugh, shake your head and play within your means, if your on a bad roll drop stakes or take break. .Y/N?

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Great Question, it's a really good idea to analyze your own poker play after each session.
Good, bad & ugly go in to your HUD after play if you use one and look over your hands played.
Try to find & plug leak hands and positions.
Look at the cost of your games and see if you can buy in to some cheaper games. You'll be playing more games just at a lesser buy in.

It's always good to take a break too if you feel like you're in your own head too much or playing tired. You can always come back and play when you're more clear minded and recharged the next day :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands