How do you handle Boredom and bad beats?

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you handle getting bored while playing poker MTT? What do you do to stop from getting bored and doing something that ends your game? I have this problem and not sure what to do about it. I will have large chip stack than i will get bored and just start playing hands that I am not good at playing and loose all my chips. Also I see guys getting lucky win all these chips sometimes mine than they just spread them all throughout the table and they are gone. How do you guys handle this and stop it from bothering you. These are some of the issues i am dealing with right now. If i can overcome these i can become a winning player. I just came in second last night by keeping this in check but it is hard. Any suggestions on how to deal with this. Thanks guys for your help.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately I tend to play / surf around my ipad while playing online poker on my laptop. Obviously in situations of importance I won’t get sidetracked with distractions but sometimes when card dead I will occupy my time with social media or anything of interest on my iPad. While bad beats are common they aren’t fun and can be very frustrating, I think I have improved how I deal with them the more they happen. I have gained an understanding that it’s a part of the game and putting the negative behind me as quickly as I can will benefit me the most. I try not to play the next few hands unless they are very good ones. I am of the belief system that tilt control is vital in poker. While bad beats are no good if I still have some chips remaining then I still have a chance to make something happen. Playing with negative emotions from an unlucky hand can lead to me making things worse and very likely eliminated because I make a call or shove that I should not have. Best way to deal with a bad beat is to take a deep breath and I often take notes so I can remember the player and hopefully return the favor. Winning a big hand is key to short term memory (which is obviously important in poker).

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple:quit playing and find other hobby or do some meditation,train on your focus and keep playing.

S

stoneryder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just quit playing poker for a while.I stay one week without playing poker and concentrate myself on the books.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it almost impossible to be bored sitting in front of a computer,,,,i havn't read everything yet,,, :bebored:

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you handle getting bored while playing poker MTT? What do you do to stop from getting bored and doing something that ends your game? I have this problem and not sure what to do about it. I will have large chip stack than i will get bored and just start playing hands that I am not good at playing and loose all my chips. Also I see guys getting lucky win all these chips sometimes mine than they just spread them all throughout the table and they are gone. How do you guys handle this and stop it from bothering you. These are some of the issues i am dealing with right now. If i can overcome these i can become a winning player. I just came in second last night by keeping this in check but it is hard. Any suggestions on how to deal with this. Thanks guys for your help.

i will chat and/or listen to music when am not playing enough rooms to keep me busy and have really long stretches of bad cards.....

i would suggest you have a stack you play position and your table (your image and rest of tables play) you push when you can with position..... honestly if your just doing small raises even with not the best of cards in this situation if your the big stack or a bigger stack this makes people really think and in poker that is what you want to do.....if you are out of position you can fold some better hands.... the key is to have a balance and if out of position if you become ok with folding by this style in the long run this might keep you in the game longer

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands