How do you handle a run of bad cards?

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play poker for any amount of time, no matter how good you are (or think you are); eventually you are going to get a run of bad cards. People who aren’t regular card players might say things like: “You knew poker is a game of uncertainty when you started playing, you signed up for this,” or “Why then don’t you just quit?” But when you get a really bad run of cards for an extended period of time or when your bankroll drops rapidly despite all your careful bankroll management… you might just find yourself asking the same questions of yourself.

Usually people’s advice runs along these similar lines:

1. Take a break. I always wonder how long of a break someone should take. Could a day or two doing Duolingo or hiking in the forest do it for you like it does for me? If you are a bit more tilty (yes, that is a word, because I said so), do you need to take a bit of a longer break? Does a longer break mean you will come back a bit rusty? I suppose this one is going to depend on your level of frustration and how long it will take for you to come back feeling like you have a good perspective and ready to play optimally.

2. Relax baby, grind on and grind through. Sometimes it is easier said than done, and it depends on what type of person you are. For some people, this is a recipe to break your bankroll rules and lose it all. But to the logical and statistically oriented person, if you know your game and have had success consistently in the past; you can expect to get running well if you just play your game and don’t let yourself go on tilt.

3. Play tighter. Seems the natural thing to do, and sometimes when a player is short stacked that is a strategy in a single tournament. But a player who is short stacked often alters their style drastically, we are really talking about a multi-game run of bad cards. While I do agree reinforcing the principals of your playing style is good and maybe assessing whether you have strayed from your usual play is good as well; if you find that it is not the case, it doesn’t make sense to me to alter your play if it has been successful in the past.

4. Read some strategy articles or books. I think you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway, so as a cure, I don’t really see it. For me, this might prove to be more frustrating. But if you are reading this post and thinking, “she keeps saying that this if for people that have been consistently successful in the past, that might not really be me;” then I would say a bit of reading might be in order.

5. Learn a new game. Mixing it up can be a great idea. From my own experience, during my last bad run of cards I had, I learned how to play HORSE. I found it kind of did all of the previous suggestions to a minor degree. I took a break from my main game, I kept playing, since I was learning I naturally played a bit tighter and I read a lot. For me this seems to be the choice.

6. ??? You tell me… I would love to hear what you think.

As always, good luck at the tables.

Last edited:
Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the 5 points are excellent, I just miss one more, exercise, run and then a shower, it works for me

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the 5 points are excellent, I just miss one more, exercise, run and then a shower, it works for me

That is definitely a good one. I do some of my playing on a stationary bike already, so I would have to get to the gym and be around other people or go to the mountains and only see people in passing. I will have to keep this one in mind next time I get a bad run and try it out! Thanks Edison!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Running is a good therapy when you're frustrated and angry, then take a shower, it's best

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it is live poker, I would ask for a different deck of cards or sit at a different table. Other times, I have learned, that some days you best be not sitting at a poker table that day because it is not your day. Accept that and do something else more constructive with your valuable time.

S

sakuraitaro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
taking a walk always helped for me. just get out in nature, look at the green trees, feel the breeze, listen to the birds. nature has a way of resetting things.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very good technique is exercise, go run and then take a shower, it helps you to handle your frustration, try it

Infinity Objective

Infinity Objective

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good technique is exercise, go run and then take a shower, it helps you to handle your frustration, try it

Buddy if you run, exercise and shower, and this is the current state of your poker game, consider being a coach potato living in a dumpster. I love you brother, consider shuffleboard. :D

You have to put poker in its perspective of your mindset, brush it off, it's a high % losing game, however, for those talented, who strategically map and play their games see excellent results in the long run on roi.

Roi is not just money but time equated. ;)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Buddy if you run, exercise and shower, and this is the current state of your poker game, consider being a coach potato living in a dumpster. I love you brother, consider shuffleboard. :D

You have to put poker in its perspective of your mindset, brush it off, it's a high % losing game, however, for those talented, who strategically map and play their games see excellent results in the long run on roi.

Roi is not just money but time equated. ;)
Sometimes I run 5 miles to release frustrations, then I am a new man

TrillUziVert

TrillUziVert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I'll just fold in most cases, but sometimes you might want to play a few of those hands. Occasionally I'll get lucky and get a good flop.

A

All Rise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is mid tourney,just fold. Cash game or SnGs,take a break.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How long have you been playing online? Online players will defend that is not rigged even after they come out and say it's true. Might be a while. Because then they have to admit they waisted alot of time. Or if you play long enough luck doesn't matter. Don't do like I did and wait a year and say this is crazy how often you get sucked out when you have a good hand. Or damn I couldn't of hit my cards better when you already lost. Listen to your instinct. Go on utube and type Acr is rigged or magic something. It will come up. Watch how they call the set up before it happens. Then make your own decision. Play knowing that's it's entertainment and your not going to make next month's bill with your earnings. Don't deposit just play the free rolls. H have fun or stop. People will say I suck I can't play but I possibly have more free roll wins then most. You can look them up on sharkscope and see their no better. Play for fun.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How long have you been playing online? Online players will defend that is not rigged even after they come out and say it's true. Might be a while. Because then they have to admit they waisted alot of time. Or if you play long enough luck doesn't matter. Don't do like I did and wait a year and say this is crazy how often you get sucked out when you have a good hand. Or damn I couldn't of hit my cards better when you already lost. Listen to your instinct. Go on utube and type Acr is rigged or magic something. It will come up. Watch how they call the set up before it happens. Then make your own decision. Play knowing that's it's entertainment and your not going to make next month's bill with your earnings. Don't deposit just play the free rolls. H have fun or stop. People will say I suck I can't play but I possibly have more free roll wins then most. You can look them up on sharkscope and see their no better. Play for fun.
Who are you talking to when you ask, "how long have you been playing online?" That smacks of condescension and mocking. You started out by insulting everyone in this thread by insinuating that none of us have been doing this very long. I guess you got it all figured out. The original poster wrote a thoughtful, productive and upbeat post, all of the other posts seem to be related to the OP and yours just seems like you want to start an argument.

You are a bit off topic. Nobody mentioned anything about it being rigged. You need to take that to this thread. https://www.cardschat.com/forum/bad-beats-vents-71/rigged-megathread-all-rigged-roads-lead-297777/

There will be plenty of people there that want to argue with you.

Or just go on posting in the threads about Donald Trump, the wall and other places where people want to argue.

Last edited:
J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who are you talking to when you ask, "how long have you been playing online?" That smacks of condescension and mocking. You started out by insulting everyone in this thread by insinuating that none of us have been doing this very long. I guess you got it all figured out. The original poster wrote a thoughtful, productive and upbeat post, all of the other posts seem to be related to the OP and yours just seems like you want to start an argument.

You are a bit off topic. Nobody mentioned anything about it being rigged. You need to take that to this thread. https://www.cardschat.com/forum/bad-beats-vents-71/rigged-megathread-all-rigged-roads-lead-297777/

There will be plenty of people there that want to argue with you.

Or just go on posting in the threads about Donald Trump, the wall and other places where people want to argue.
Just asked a question. If it sounded condescending it wasn't supposed to. I guess you lose meaning sometimes posting instead of a real conversion. Take it easy.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have play tighter. Sometimes, it helps to get more aggressive. Take a few days to play wide open. Then, return to normal.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just asked a question. If it sounded condescending it wasn't supposed to. I guess you lose meaning sometimes posting instead of a real conversion. Take it easy.
Yeah, I overreacted. Sorry.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually had the same thing this week. I lost 20 buy-ins almost all in a row. I asked myself after every loss, am I still mentally fit to keep playing, knowing I was actually making the right decisions 8/10 or 9/10 times and having the better of my opponents. I was able to shut my emotions off completely and analyze my decisions. I kept making the right decisions almost all the time so I continued and still made profit in the end. I decided to ignore the outcome and it worked out for me. The thought that ran through my head was: You might've won the pot, but I won the decision-making process. A pitfall for a lot of players in this situation would be to try and earn their money back. Your opponents are going to notice, although you might also use that to your own favor. I didn't change my game however, there was no need to.

J

Joshua BNL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play at 4 table's at a time. There's always a playable hand on one of the tables

Z

Zibest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Better judging

i would say that, although really bad beats do occur occasionally, sometimes it is a case that just a better judgment is required. Looking for how the other players are playing on the table,bet sizes on certain cards,betting frequency,3 bet frequencies etc and aswell as that judging the strength of what cards you have and the cards that your oppenent may have or may be waiting for.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking stock in the middle of a session is always good. Remember where you come from and where you are. Technically you have not lost anything too much. Money investing must be money that you can afford to lose. If you are too lacking in luck, just make a small win and take a break, play at a lower limit, challenge yourself and adjust your game if needed or continue and keep faith in your game.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all experience a run of bad cards/days that feels like nothing we do works.
I take a bat, find a nice sized tree and start minecrafting the poor thing for about 20 mins.
Then I'll make a pot of coffee, smoke a cigarette, review the hands I played and note what needs fixing.
After that I shower, watch a movie or two, and wait till tomorrow to jump back unto breach.
Everyone has their own way, and time is the great leveler of all.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
according to pokerstars I've been on a bad run of cards since I started...lololol
and it is purely the luck of the draw according to the...lololololol

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find a return to reading poker strategy puts me in the right frame of mind to get back to winning...usually I can cash without too much concentration it is the making the last 50 or last 20 that I usually flame out

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy about a run of bad cards...........I try to play 25% of my hole cards whether they are rags or not. I fold 75% of my other hole cards. This may or may not be a good strategy, but its the way I try to play. Sometimes I play with good results.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands