How do you feel about 99 Mid postion?

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Player types and chip stacks excluded, what is your initial feeling?

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say all pocket pairs are worth playing, but since you're in mid position, one should tread carefully.
Open raise would be my go-to option.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi. It's a really weird incomplete question. But whatever. I feel that need to make an open raise, to call a raise or squeeze after limp.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I limp with pairs in all positions. Go from there according to the raises after my play. Sometime I go all in after the raise if I have a read on the player making the raise. But then again I limp with AA and wait for the raise then go all in and hope its only two in pot. Again I dont play by the book!!!

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Like 99

I would feel pretty good looking down at 99 in middle position. The hand has a lot of flexibility in terms of how you can play it. Actions ranging from Call to All-In could be defended, in my opinion. Personally, I like to play it similar to the way I would play Ax pre-flop. If the flop turns-out to be UGLY, and you face a lot of pressure, you have to be prepared to "abandon ship". If an A comes on the flop and you are the first to bet, a Cbet is not a bad option, if that gets called, you probably have to slow it down.

My stats on intertops show that I have won 114 of 184 hands (62%) with 99, which seems respectable. They do not have a stat for "middle position.

Best of Luck at The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play them, as they have a lot of potentials. Many straights can happen. My favorite is when there are full house options that happen.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could play 99 about any way that you want. Just MP doesn’t tell me everything I need to know before making a decision. No matter how you choose to play them if you win the hand then you played them correctly!!! Just my opinion .

Z

Stay Safe

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise it up and don't be scurrrrrred to throw those chips in and look like tom dwan while you do it!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First in Raise otherwise Call and see the flop most often. Like most questions there are a lot of other variables that would make your 99 decision for you.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone made a 3-bet before me, I call and watch the flop. When another player starts an action with a 5-bet, I fold. I don't need a big pot before the flop. Also, players after you can raise again and you will be in a bad position.
If I start the action first, I raise it so much that at least one player goes to the flop. And most often it will be the player in the blinds. A high flop means you need to slow down.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First in that is a raising hand from any position. If facing a UTG raise, I would call to set mine. From a late position raiser I would 3bet from the button or blinds. Play your range post flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99 is a standard open from any seat of the table. If there is action ahead of you, 99 can be anything from a 3-bet to a fold depending on stack sizes, positions and reads.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 very good hands in middle position, it's worth raising with or even going allin, depending on the stage of the tournament we're in.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good hand to open, call a raise, but too loose to call a tri bet w players still to act behind you.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. It's a really weird incomplete question. But whatever. I feel that need to make an open raise, to call a raise or squeeze after limp.

It was to set up the discussion, and then to talk about scenarios thereafter with stacks and player types from there:)

No hand can ever be broken down fully without full details, but wanted to get an idea of how people felt when they have 99 initially (mid position). Then build on the discussion with details:)

Would love to talk about other hands in this manner, as I am about to get back into live games in spring..or summer.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
99 is in the top 6-7% of hands, so you've got to be pretty happy with it when you first look down.

Of course, action before you, table make up, stacks and tournament situation all play a factor, meaning this could be an open fold, open shove or anywhere in between.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99 is in the top 6-7% of hands, so you've got to be pretty happy with it when you first look down.

I think, the issue for many people is, that 99 tend to hit a lot of second or third pair type hands, and that can be a somewhat tricky type of hand to play. A hand like AQ is somewhat easier, since you usually either hit a strong top pair or nothing at all. But then again the difficult spots are where, good players make their money in the long run :)

sosiconec1

sosiconec1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends of stack,
if u have big stack u can raise,
if u low stack its call
for set or get high pair.

Nickname on pokerstars: lildxxdec

yung agressive player at Holdem

:):):):):)

Playing 2 weeks, get 28/1000 on EPT SOCHI :D:D:D

D

dianasamu245

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play these hands with their normal poen rais and I evaluate if there is 3bet I call a percentage of the time depending on the player's information if it is very rock I usually fold many times if they let me reach the flop I evaluate if he sometimes usually raise a percentage that shows strength with almost any flop if I get paid and there are cards above the new one, I usually give up it is only a half line that I use

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I was in a strange spot as A9 thoght that his hand worth to make a 3bet in a max9 turbo one, and KK went 12BB and we all had around 50. I had 77 in bigblind, so if A9 didnt push, I could call around 3-4bet and the flop was 4-5-6, river a 3.
So I could make everyone's point and said pockets in general are worth to play, but don't overplay them, unless you have such a high pocket or you are really low in money. And position and stack and your notes have huge impact how exactly you can play them.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It sucks , the same as all PPs , if sb else has not opened the action already , either with bet or by limping , so as to see what odds you get etc etc . Also on the BU , CO ,SB , not so bad , all othe rplaces suck for me , all pairs up to and not included JJ . But if you are in shove-fold mode , you know what to do and when to do it , even with deuces :)