How do you evaluate your play?

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys evaluate your play overall? I don't mean a specific hand or looking at a certain ICM spot. I used to play a lot of cash games, but recently (since October) I've started trying out MTTs.

What sort of stats do you guys look at to see well you're doing? I know in cash your BB/100 is what people look at, I think I'm at 9-10 BB/100 in my tournaments but I don't have a clue if that's good, bad, or even useful. Are ROI or ITM% the most important stats? If so, what are reasonable numbers?

My red line and blue lines over ~25k hands looks pretty normal for tag moving towards lag (losing slightly/breakeven without showdown, most profits via showdown), is this normal? Should I be playing more lag?

And most importantly, how do you evaluate your normal stats like vpip/pfr/3b or even steal? I'm guessing pros don't publish their stats so I don't really know what to go for. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having a tracking program is important because you can review your tournament hand histories and study the analytics in your database.

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what free software is worth using?

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker Stove is good to use as an after burner analysis and free - just don't use it during your play.

I have come across professionals whose online stats ARE available but you will need to track down what aliases they have used. Over time, you can see what their "line in the sand" was before they crossed over into ever bigger stakes. Twitch feeds and some of their live games are good to study and when possible listen to a podcast or watch an interview of a pro who has been around the block.

To evaluate my play "on the fly" during a game that matters, I do certain things somewhat consistently to set up traps. If none of my traps work or if I get caught in someone else's trap (a bad beat is something else entirely) I can usually determine the level of who I am up against. A quick sharkscope peek or a google search usually confirms my assessment.

Right now I'm playing mindless slots (but winning!) so my opinion should not have any weight assigned relative to other more valid insights from others.

Last edited:
Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do my statistics in principle, do not look practically as played for fun more. To make money in online poker at the moment is almost impossible, too much depends on luck

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m results oriented. I used OPR over multiple months of tourneys. Of course I was studying poker at least 10 hrs a week while I was playing. Sharkscope was good too.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Except from the help of a HUD replayer or ICMizer etc a different perspective from a player you respect his game or a coach or a pro is very helpful.

I like posting here my questioned spots and most of the times a pro poker player responds back except from the fellow CCers!!

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nohow. It evaluates itself.

But really. I analyzed my hands. Then it is analyzed itself. Automatically.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Analyzing hands and trying to stay in the black on every site is my gauge. Once in a while I'll go check out Sharkscope but that's strictly tourney/sng results.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
How do you assess your game in general? I do not mean a particular hand or to look at a particular place in ICM. I played a lot of cash games, but recently (October) started trying MTT.

What statistics can see, to see better? I know that your number BB / 100 is what people watch, I think I'm 9-10 BB / 100 in my tournaments, but I have no idea if it's good, bad or even useful. ROI or ITM% are the most important statistic? If so, what are reasonable numbers?

My red line and the blue lines over ~ 25k hands look pretty normal, to move the marker to delay (loss of light / risk-free without showdown, most profits through showdown), this is normal? Do I need to play more lag?

And most importantly, how do you assess your normal statistics as vpip / pfr / 3b or even steal? I guess professionals do not publish statistics so I do not know what to do. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Yeah programs are very useful for analyzing your game but I think it's most important is how much you have earned for the month plus your salary:).

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do my statistics by means of excel and I see how is my performance in the different types of games

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most important thing to play MTT is to play carefull at begginer of torney.
Don't losing all your chip with AK, or AA when flop comes very dungerous.
To analyze your game is good to see your replays hand from sotwares, and try to make strategies to see what is worth or not.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe to have gained enough experience lately to call myself a good player. When I play these pokerstars daily freerolls I often end up at high places. Hope to make some big money soon :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm always self-critical at the end of the game. Even when luck is smiling in poker.