How do you catch bluff?

T

TRIJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you detect when someone is bluffing?
Do you synthesize the previous Tell?
Or do you judge by looking at your opponent's bet size?
If not, do you catch a bluff while considering both?
I think bluff catch must be one of the most difficult judgments in poker

JIM70201

JIM70201

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you detect when someone is bluffing?
Do you synthesize the previous Tell?
Or do you judge by looking at your opponent's bet size?
If not, do you catch a bluff while considering both?
I think bluff catch must be one of the most difficult judgments in poker

Image of the villain is 75% of the decision. If your are in front of a LAG (i mean 40% + HAND RANGE), probabbly most of the hands of him are bluff. But BE CAREFULL...

You can also watch the behaivour PREFLOP, and see FLOP cards.

:jd4:

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot to it, but I don't see as simple as thinking that they are bluffing or they aren't. I see in a terms of what chance is there that they are bluffing, is it high enough to make a call profitable?

I think the mindset of not thinking in binary terms (they are bluffing, or they aren't) is more important than the components. Sometimes you call even when you expect to be beat.

For instance, if I play with a single opponent all the way to the river and they shove for 1.5x the pot on a board with few obvious hands and some missed draws, I will determine him to be on a polarised range. In this situation I only need 37.5% equity to call - If I have a marginal holding and assume his value range beats me, then I'd simply need to determine whether my opponent is bluffing here >~40% of the time, and if so I can profitably call.

Obviously getting to that judgement is more easily said than done, but the factors would as follows :

- Opponents hand range funnel
- Does the story they are selling make sense?
- Opponent tendencies
- Do I have a bluff catcher appropriate for this board?

This is one of my favourite parts of poker. It's always good fun when you bluff catch with a weak pair and then get abused by an opponent who thinks you should have folded because they failed to understand fold equity or the (lack of) credibility of their bluff :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As said in the previous post does his story make sense? Lets say the board runout is KdQd8s-4c-4h and Villain check-called flop and turn out of position but donk lead river for full pot, then what is he really representing? He is kind of saying, he has trips, but for him to have trips it would usually have to be with 4dXd exactly, because otherwise he would have folded on the flop. There are very few combos of 4dXd, so Villains value range is very thin.

Moreover donk betting makes no sense, if he is strong, since we are often going to bet again on that card. If we have a busted diamond draw, checking is his only chance to get paid, and if we have top pair or better, we will usually also bet again for value, because 4h changes nothing. So if Villain actually had trips or better, he would usually check to us. For that reason we should not fold any hand, which we were still betting for value on the turn. We expect Villain to show up with a busted diamond draw or a random bluff often enough to make a profitable call with for instance AA, AK or KQ.

If on the other hand the board runout is KdQd8s-4c-9d, and we face the same action, now Villains value range is much wider, because his diamond draws got there, and there are also some hands, that made two pair or a straight on the river. It also makes more sense for Villain to donk bet the river for value, because we might check back a lot on this card. So now we should be much more likely to give him credit, and maybe only KQ is strong enough, that we have to call, whereas AK and AA can be folded.

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am bluffing , but when I see that the other player thinking too much or raising too much , it is a bluff and I am catching him .But not always...

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
t is easier to detect when your opponent is trying to bluff you. when you have accumulated a lot of information on him. among other things his style and level of play during the game. the best way to prevent your opponent from bluffing you into the river. it is to start evaluating his hand preflop. when you raise him preflop and he just calls. you can already kill several hands on his ranch right from the start. you need to keep collecting more information on the flop and turn. if he checked or changed his bet size? but you have to be careful against an experienced player because he could use this strategy to make you believe that he did not touch anything when in truth. he has a good game.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the player who makes the bluff much may be different at that time.

A specific leading way should be invented.

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff catcher

Hello, it is something that covers everything, you can not focus on one thing like the bet size. it's everything, the size, the game reading, the board, the type of player. regards