How do you adjust your game when playing with amateurs?

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like if you play a home game with friends who have little experience, do you do anything differently? I find these situations the hardest to play in, the less experience someone has, the more unpredictable they will probably be. The biggest thing that helps is pretty much to cut back on C-betting and keep bluffs to a minimum. In my experience these kind of players tend to call you down almost no matter what they have.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm an amateur myself :)

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing with friends who were newbies I would probably ease up on the bluffs, 3-bets and shoves. Keeps the game friendlier and less chaotic.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should develop history that will dictate what you can and can't get away with. Just like players of skill you have different styles and weakness you pick up from being in hands with them.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
for me, playing with friends is more for fun...I mean do you really want to take advantage of someone who is your friend??? It depends how much money is involved...I feel bad taking money from my friends

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with a lot of patience because you have played so that will direct all

S

Steven Cannizzo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You pretty much have to think like an amateur, who more likely than not will take chances with iffy hands. I'd open my preflop range a bit wider, and be a little more aggressive.

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every once in a while i'll play a free roll with house cash involved at the local bar I like to socialize and drink at. It's full of amateurs.

When I deal with these kinds of people I try not to bluff as much because they will play a wide variety of hands and many will call to the river with bottom pairs. I also tend to play conservatively and play with premium hands and try to take advantage of the weaker players calling with rags. That's just me though.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm playing against amateurs, I just play as well as I can and avoid the all ins if I can. Some hands you just have to play regardless of who's at the table.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just adjust for looser plays- watch textured boards and bets corresponding. I noticed less experienced players tend to play more drawing hands.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I'm an amateur too. I try to watch the table and what opponents are playing the bets they make and everything. to see the best strategy with and without a good hand.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop bluffing. Only a good player will fold a good hand if they think they're beat by a better one.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me playing with friends (that's the only live play i do) has 2 different aspects. First is to adapt emotionally to the much different situation around you and second is the pure gaming style adaptation. When i play with friends we always have some drinking together with the game and i just can't be too serious in such situations. Such games for me are primary for fun as the money for which we play are no more than 2 to 3$ anyway.

Regarding the gaming style it depends from the people who are on the table. If they are relatively better players similar to me as a skill level i try to play as close to my online play as i can but i try to avoid shoves, widen my limp range and try to gain as much as i can from my best hands. All of this is due to the fact that we play much lower amount of hands compared with online and you just can't wait for best hands in such situation. If i play with people who are now learning the rules or just play rarely i try to help them get some basic knowledge, give them some advice and try to spark their interest to the game so that there are more people to play with in future. In such cases i try to adapt to their game style just to make it interesting as we anyway play for very low cash in such situations (50 cents usually).

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your statement,the minimum bluff and they will play with any card...

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your are ether playing with friends for fun ,with donks for their enjoyment or for money in a serious table. Just play normal and ajust as you go and make them pay for draws.. Iv found implementing blockers and exploitative pot odds pays off on the looser tables, value betting with 2 pair, raising 3x+ pre etc..

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what you mean -- it's hard because there will be some that play aggressively & get lucky on bad calls. Everything with a grain of salt!

S

shurikataman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fully agree that the bluffing to a minimum. My friends getting into the Board in the bottom pair of strollers any bets -)))

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact, it's strange but true, many new players think it's easier to play with players who play by strategy, have a game experience, rather than against fans, since they are not very predictable. ))) You will be disappointed, play against fans - it's a total pleasure))) Remember that under any category of players should adapt, while the standard game of the opponent can be just a deceptive maneuver! Fans of poker - a group of players, due to which earn all the other groups of players.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing against weaker players, usually best to widen your preflop range so you can use your superior postflop play to win over them. In your situation with those calling stations, it is recommended you make larger value bets than usual when you do hit the flop since you have little fold equity on them.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Honestly, I am an amateur in poker. During the game, I try to do everything right regardless of who my opponents are. If I lose I am not upset, but just keep playing.
Good luck.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a professional poker player myself, I'm an amateur who can play and sometimes win, if I play at home with friends then they know that this is a game and you can lose or win money when I play online I play as I can and try win and not make big mistakes in the game and take as much as possible ,,, for me-- game - it's a game - and there must be a winner in it!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always try to play patiently and disciplined. And it does not matter who is my opponent.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before anyone loses their rag or starts beating down on me . I AM JOKING. Get your sexy lady friend to enter the game room and while all heads are looking , put a stacked deck in . Works with all amateurs .

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bet fat value only.
fold a lot

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These people are great to play with. They teach one the value of patience. No need to get super aggressive. Try different, new strategy. Free up your hand ranges. Mix it up and have a good time

Top 10 Games