How Do I Get Better At Poker?

A

adlersss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, this may sound weird, but I was just wondering, how do I get better at poker? Are there any general tips? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Skecis

Skecis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I`ve been playing poker for few years now, but just recently started checking out pokerstars poker school, a lot of good tips to be found there, helped me a lot.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you really want to improve your game there are many options to do it:

1- Playing poker, the experience is one of the most important things on poker.
2- Read about poker, you have a lot articles of poker.
-intellipoker
-pokerstrategy
3- Learn through live videos.

If what you want is to learn from the basics I recommend that you look in the pages intellipoker or pokerstrategy that there are very good guides

R

Runeloko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll realize how to play it, eventually it just happen.

However some tips may be that simply calling if you have As High & making few raises but not that much. you'll figure it out buddy!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi adlersss and welcome to Cardschat. I'm sorry if I missed your introduction. I agree with matiascecci1990 100%, But I would like to add a thing or two.

First of all, you need to post questions here, and in those questions, you need to tell us what's the problem. Then we can either advise you or give you our opinion. So let me stop you right here. There is no stupid or weird questions here at CC. If someone told you that your questions are either one of those, or any kind of negative remark, this is day one for you to start learning. CC will not allow anything like that. We are here to help you, not to down grade you.

The next thing is that you might as well make up your mind to start at the bottom, take small steps, set some short term goals that are easy to reach, and set at least set one long term goal that you can reach by using the short term ones like stepping stones to reach it.

Next of all, learn what BRM is and how to use it to keep you from going broke. Yes I could tell you the answer for that, but it's a question you need to post and get advice from more players than me.

This last one should be at the top of the list, because it is so important that you can't even play good poker without controlling it. TILT has no place in your game. If you allow it to be part of your game, it will control you, and all it's good for is to cause you to lose many BRs. It's not easy to overcome, but believe me you can do it. I have and many others here have too.

That's it, but adlersss I could go on and on. But I don't want to over load your plate, and even the things I've told you should not be worked on all at the same time. BABY STEPS GL to you

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just need to love the game of poker, to read a lot of literature, to develop logic thinking

jarre1977

jarre1977

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, in the early stages of the tournaments have to be patient, because some players play by mixing up at hand all in style and, therefore, you may lose a good hands too easily.

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need practice and practice and practice. Learn from your mistakes

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You need practice and practice and practice. Learn from your mistakes

I totally agree. It is certainly useful to read and watch, but it is most important to apply the knowledge gained in practice.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is best to wait until we have a strong hand, wait for him to bet and then go all in. If we make the mistake of playing all hands to try to eliminate it fast we run the risk of being eliminated us

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You study a lot in free schools online, watch lots of videos, watch live players online. But always play in position to make your decisions easier. You'll be doing half the service to get better every day.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 suggestions first cardschat has everything from peer to peer learning to video etc.. also a big thing they have is chart of hands positions should play in etc.. so that is first step use resources here participate talk to your peers in here:)

second what is your plan? freeroller? want to make this a second job etc..? whatever that goal is write it out even if your a hobby player or freeroller learn where you can play when you can play have a plan etc..

third is two fold one take notes on situations players etc.. and be critical on your plays the best way to learn is by doing but LEARN from the mistakes by breaking down you game:)

gl on the felt and in life:)

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

-intellipoker
-pokerstrategy

If what you want is to learn from the basics I recommend that you look in the pages intellipoker or pokerstrategy that there are very good guides

Agree with this but I would add that you go over the hands you played after a practice session. That way you improve alot ^^

And if you've got questions about specific hands/theories or other stuff dont hesitate to post them. That's what we are here for right :D

Welcome to CC!

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all comes down to practise, play as much poker as you can. Start with the playmoney until you confident you can try with real money, then register in a cheap buy in game. Watch how the players bet and how they call. You can learn a lot online but actually being on the table playing with other people makes a huge difference. Don't be scared to get it wrong sometimes, all of us have at one stage. Good luck.

Jancianna

Jancianna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try reading some poker literature or maybe watch a video or two. Practice of course as well but it is kind of hard because if you practice with real money you will lose quite a while and with play money people don't seem to play as serious as they would with real money so you won't get the same experience.

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must play, play and play. Its the best way to learn

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, this may sound weird, but I was just wondering, how do I get better at poker? Are there any general tips? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks :)
There's so much out there to help you with your game... from books to videos, live streams with analysis. My best advice is practice, practice, practice. I think you learn the most from actually playing time and being in intense situations. Best of luck

-intellipoker
-pokerstrategy

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what type of player you are. I would use sit n go's as your primary training ground if youre a tournament player. Cash games im not too sure...i would rather pick a homegame as my training ground for cash games.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing and studying, I think it's the only way to improve the game.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend taking your learning slow. Try to focus on one aspect at a time. Don't think you can read a book and then use everything it. I recommend reading one topic, playing to use what you learned, evaluate yourself, and reread what you tried to use. Rinse and repeat as needed.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what type of player you are, but practice, watch, read and practice (!)

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think you will get bettrer advise than read books on your specific game + watch twitch/youtube VODs.
+ revierw you sessions