How to deal with - "getting no cards to play"?

K

korthrax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Started playing micro stakes, 2NL and I'm most certainly not the best player, I am slowly losing money due to various mistakes that I recognise as bad plays and am trying to plug.

But here is my problem:

For the past 200 hands I have gotten nothing to even attempt making money and earn my blinds back,

Getting rubbish cards when in late position, and mediocre cards in other positions, and when I do get a some good cards I get the blinds or go to the flop and hit nothing, no draws, no pairs, so I end up having to fold.

I just keep losing blinds, which I do try to defend by opening my range when there is a steal attempt, but the flop still works against me.

I know c-betting would probably help, but with the cards I'm getting in late position just doesn't feel like it is worth the risk with the amount of people that simply call any bet with a pair of 2's.

Any advice?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, keep folding hands that you don't get a good price to play and open your range up against looser opponents.

If you think 200 hands have been bad, be prepared for a thousand just like that.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is all part of variance. 200 hands is nothing in terms of sample size. At the end of the day, the math always wins at the end of the day.

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is so hard to play when you are card dead. I am not good at this but patients is key. The cards will eventually start coming and like you said just keep working on plugging those leaks. We all have felt the same thing at times.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, start panicking right now...

Ok now that it's past, 200 hands it's less then what you can play to win a MTT.. so nothing to panic here..

In tournaments it's another game, but for cash games, keep folding.. play position.. check betting patterns.. sometimes there's just nothing you can do then keep calm and keep on playing! Nothing to panic also.. part of the game..

Keep on playin'

-TRP-

K

korthrax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you, guess I'll keep working on it

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pay attention to looser players and slightly open your range without committing too much maybe

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you gotta wonder if your range is too limited or you are getting manipulated for being to obvious

Y

yedven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient.

Be patient. One night, I didn't get any for 6 hrs. Then in next 30 minutes I have made 2K+ in $1/$2 LIVE. Patience is the key - that's what make you successful.
Started playing micro stakes, 2NL and I'm most certainly not the best player, I am slowly losing money due to various mistakes that I recognise as bad plays and am trying to plug.

But here is my problem:

For the past 200 hands I have gotten nothing to even attempt making money and earn my blinds back,

Getting rubbish cards when in late position, and mediocre cards in other positions, and when I do get a some good cards I get the blinds or go to the flop and hit nothing, no draws, no pairs, so I end up having to fold.

I just keep losing blinds, which I do try to defend by opening my range when there is a steal attempt, but the flop still works against me.

I know c-betting would probably help, but with the cards I'm getting in late position just doesn't feel like it is worth the risk with the amount of people that simply call any bet with a pair of 2's.

Any advice?

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be patient. We all have the same problem sometimes. Good hands will come.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know the feeling. Poker is a marathon, not a sprint. You gotta keep folding the bad hands. Can you imagine how much money you would be down if you did not continue to fold those bad hands.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just keep looking for reasons to play hands, take good notes, and try to figure out who you can steal from, who you can limp stab on, who you can double barrel etc.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only way to reduce the effect of variance on your game is to multitabler.when you play a 6 table at a time. you touch more good hands.