How to control impulsivity?

roxtri

roxtri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, my name is Greg. I'm a student of civil engineering. I met poker in 2019.

Since then I have won, a few dollars in freerolls, however, I always lose everything when playing high buy-ins. I would like to receive tips on how to control impussivity to build a bankroll.

It is my first post and pardon my mistakes, English is not my first language.

dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to have something else going on if 1 tabling to take the focus away from playing every hand,

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do a little study on bankroll management. This will give you an idea of how much money you need to have in order to play a certain buyin. There are several approaches to this depending the game type and what kind of risk of ruin you want. (ROR example, if you have $100 and bet someone all of it that you will flip a coin and it will land on heads you have a 50% chance of losing your $100. That means you have a 50% risk of ruin.). If you never want to deposit on a poker site again it should be almost zero. However, if you have a source of income and are able to make a deposit here and there then maybe you can take a little more risk.

The biggest part of bankroll management is self discipline. Not only waiting to move up in stakes but probably the hardest thing to do, moving down when you're on a down swing.

Building a bankroll is not gambling. Every buy in is an investment, not every investment will yield a profit. Never put yourself in a position either in poker or real life where something out of your control decides your fate.

Hope this helps.

Since then I have won, a few dollars in freerolls, however, I always lose everything when playing high buy-ins. I would like to receive tips on how to control impussivity to build a bankroll.

roxtri

roxtri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do a little study on bankroll management. This will give you an idea of how much money you need to have in order to play a certain buyin. There are several approaches to this depending the game type and what kind of risk of ruin you want. (ROR example, if you have $100 and bet someone all of it that you will flip a coin and it will land on heads you have a 50% chance of losing your $100. That means you have a 50% risk of ruin.). If you never want to deposit on a poker site again it should be almost zero. However, if you have a source of income and are able to make a deposit here and there then maybe you can take a little more risk.

The biggest part of bankroll management is self discipline. Not only waiting to move up in stakes but probably the hardest thing to do, moving down when you're on a down swing.

Building a bankroll is not gambling. Every buy in is an investment, not every investment will yield a profit. Never put yourself in a position either in poker or real life where something out of your control decides your fate.

Hope this helps.

Mate, this is amazing!

I will look for more on bankroll management and try my best to apply the concept that buy-ins are investments and not bets. I am grateful for the contribution, I believe that I also need to seek a little help in psychology as earning 300usd and waste in a single buy-in for greed and adrenaline is not something smart.

Thanks!!!​

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe consider if you actually want to build a bankroll in online poker. It's a long process and you may find that it just isn't worth your time. In that case, there is nothing wrong with using your freeroll money or even real money if you are so inclined on online poker. You might want to set limits to keep from financially destroying yourself, but if it is just freeroll money, then all you are destroying is your time.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this meets such condition, you may play this by an upper stakes and please make you restriction.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can advise Chris Ferguson's bankroll management rules. You should also analyze your play and the play of your opponents in specialized programs. During the game, you need to make positive decisions and let go of all your thoughts. Get in the flow and do what you have to.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self discipline as someone stated before, and clear rules of bankroll management.
Convince yourself that you need to reach certain amount in order to clear that buy-in stage and advance to the next one. If you fail to keep you bankroll up on the new stage, then you might not have enough experience or not ready for that level just yet, and should move back one level.
Be very disciplined and obey your own imposed rules in order to succeed.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi Greg,

The key with this is to set some medium/long term goals which will give you a focus. Without them typically new players will fall into the pattern of trying to 'run it up' as quickly as possible.

Here is a video with some advice on how to build a bankroll (the right way)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKlN0ceNYLk&list=PLBrNnyWekagOBXxoXKIitFL0l7U1hf1ES&index=4[/ame]

And here is a playlist with a whole lot of strategy tips to help you build a winning strategy, which when combined with the bankroll building advice, which will enable you to steadily make money playing this game

http://gripsed.com/win

Hope that helps, good luck on the tables!

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always studying more about poker is beneficial. This is a sport that is more complex than chess for my point of view. But many consider poker a gamble, however there are so many proofs that is just a wrong affirmation.